Why won't this .asx work?

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Patrick Mill » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:16:33



The following URL won't play (it always says server not responding, even
when its currently playing on my Windows PC) on my Mac with
OS-X 10.2.6 (WMP 7.1.3.0267 for OS-X), but it plays fine on Windows.  When I
checked the properties of the URL with WMP for Windows XP, it gave me the
following information on the codec:

Windows Media Audio V8 64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo

My understanding was that WMP for OS-X was compatible with all the Windows
Media codecs except version 9.

Here's the URL I'm having trouble with:

http://thegrowl.smsu.edu/streams/thegrowlone-hifi.asx

Thanks for any help.

PLM

 
 
 

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 07:20:09



> My understanding was that WMP for OS-X was compatible with all the Windows
> Media codecs except version 9.

If only...
Supported Audio codecs:

Quote:> Microsoft Windows Media Audio codec version 1.0, 2.0, 7.0, and 8.0
> Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP codec
> Fraunhofer IIS-A MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3 codec
> Voxware MetaSound codec
> G.726

Supported Video codecs:

Quote:> Microsoft Windows Media Video codec version 7.0 and 8.0
> Microsoft Windows Media Screen codec version 7.0
> Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0
> ISO MPEG-4 video codec version 1.0

Windows Media Audio V8 64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo should be suported, but I
suspect there might be some different flavors that we don't have access
to :-\

        Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp
http://www.microsoft.com/FRANCE/Support/home/Newsgroup.Asp

 
 
 

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Patrick Mill » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:07:32




>> My understanding was that WMP for OS-X was compatible with all the
>> Windows Media codecs except version 9.

> If only...

Ok, thank you for your reply.  I'll try and contact the tech people at the
college and let them know there is a Mac user who would enjoy being able
to listen....

PLM

 
 
 

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 04:47:52



> Ok, thank you for your reply.  I'll try and contact the tech people at the
> college and let them know there is a Mac user who would enjoy being able
> to listen....

You may have more luck when a new version of WMP Mac comes out but since
ywe have no idea when a new version might be released... :-\

        Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp
http://www.microsoft.com/FRANCE/Support/home/Newsgroup.Asp

 
 
 

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Mickey Steven » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:01:35





>> My understanding was that WMP for OS-X was compatible with all the Windows
>> Media codecs except version 9.

> If only...
> Supported Audio codecs:

>> Microsoft Windows Media Audio codec version 1.0, 2.0, 7.0, and 8.0
>> Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP codec
>> Fraunhofer IIS-A MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3 codec
>> Voxware MetaSound codec
>> G.726

> Supported Video codecs:

>> Microsoft Windows Media Video codec version 7.0 and 8.0
>> Microsoft Windows Media Screen codec version 7.0
>> Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0
>> ISO MPEG-4 video codec version 1.0

Actually, that's the list for the OS 9 version (I think I might have posted
that list for OS X accidentally earlier, sorry if I did).  The OS X version
supports only the codecs at this URL:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/Macintosh/osx/...
t.aspx#codecs>

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>
Entourage Help Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/toc.html>

 
 
 

Why won't this .asx work?

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:02:03



> Actually, that's the list for the OS 9 version (I think I might have posted
> that list for OS X accidentally earlier, sorry if I did).  The OS X version
> supports only the codecs at this URL:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/Macintosh/osx/...
> t.aspx#codecs>


... but I got that for the Mac version on the MS site (a while ago I
might say...)

Well I'll update my text clipping list :-| Thanks Mickey,

Quote:> Comprehensive List of Codecs Supported
> Audio Codecs
> Microsoft Windows Media Audio codec versions 1.0, 2.0, 7, and 8
> G.726 codec
> Video Codecs
> Microsoft Windows Media Video codec versions 7 and 8
> Microsoft Windows Media Screen codec versions 7 and 8
> Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0
> ISO MPEG-4 video codec version 1.0

Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp
http://www.microsoft.com/FRANCE/Support/home/Newsgroup.Asp

 
 
 

1. ASX files won't work

I have encoded AVIs into .wmv files and renamed them as .asf files, then
created .asx files associated with the movie clips, all exactly as
instructed. When trying to play the videos, however, I get an error:

"The file format is invalid. (Error=8004022F)"

When clicking the "More Help..." button I get an error that states:
"You have encountered the following error while using Windows Media Player:

You may be playing a file format that is not supported by Windows Media
Player. (Error=8004022F)"

The thing is, it wouldn't work when my .asx files were pointing to the .wmv
files either. WMV is the only format my Windows Media 9 encoder will
generate and I've read that you can just rename the extension to .asf and
they should play back fine. Obviously, however, that is false info. Please
advise.

Matt S.

2. Fun with CTreeCtrl

3. QUESTION : Why won't Menu Hotkey's work within Dialog ?????

4. clock

5. Why won't windows mediaplayer7.1 work on win95b ?

6. Unable to install printer Error Message

7. Amazing scrunching, but why won't it work on my web site???

8. Shareing a modem "want help"

9. AVI-QUICKTIME (Mac): Why won't it work?

10. Why won't this message rule work?

11. why won't IE6 work in my Compaq

12. Why won't Windows XP Work!?

13. my applet won't work for online why?