How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?

How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?

Post by Pauli Heikkil » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I downloaded and installed MP7. Every time I launch it, it connects to
the Internet. I can't find an option to disable this "feature" (?).

We're paying the phone bill based on connection time. If there is no
way to remove this "feature", MP7 needs to be removed or the firewall
programmed to prevent all traffic to microsoft.com. Are there any other
alternatives? Can I send our phone bills to Microsoft?

Generally, I find it unacceptable that a computer program
behaves this way. Viruses are supposed to do this, not
decent programs: they should ask, and they should have options.

So, if there is an option to keep MP7 out of the Internet please let me
know. Please do not "reply" but type the address: paheikki at pp.inet.fi.

Pauli

How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?

Post by PHM » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

When you open WMP7 it goes to the "media guide", which is actually a web
page.
Maybe you can simply go to Tools, Options and on the first tab ('Player')
uncheck the box labeled 'Display media guide when starting the player' (I'm
not sure about the exact names in English as I'm not using an English
version, but it should be something similar anyway).
I cannot test this because I'm not using a dial-up connection, but as this
display the "now playing" page instead of the "media guide", I suppose it
will solve your problem, let me know if this worked.

Philippe Majerus (PHM)

Quote:> Hi

> I downloaded and installed MP7. Every time I launch it, it connects to
> the Internet. I can't find an option to disable this "feature" (?).

> We're paying the phone bill based on connection time. If there is no
> way to remove this "feature", MP7 needs to be removed or the firewall
> programmed to prevent all traffic to microsoft.com. Are there any other
> alternatives? Can I send our phone bills to Microsoft?

> Generally, I find it unacceptable that a computer program
> behaves this way. Viruses are supposed to do this, not
> decent programs: they should ask, and they should have options.

> So, if there is an option to keep MP7 out of the Internet please let me
> know. Please do not "reply" but type the address: paheikki at pp.inet.fi.

> Pauli

How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?

Post by Pauli Heikkil » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi

After the first experiments: the lines do seem to
stay down !!

Thank you VERY much for your help :-)

I hope that software designers would _by default_
make their programs _not_ to connect without asking,
but anyway, the most important thing is to have an option
to prevent it.

Pauli