graphics hardware acceleration disabled, used to work...

graphics hardware acceleration disabled, used to work...

Post by Fairfax O'Rile » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:22:37

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am hoping that somebody can help out. I am running Win2k on a
laptop. 128mb RAM. Works great.

I used to run Win98, and under that OS I was able to use hardware
graphics acceleration for my ATI video card.

After a clean install of Win2k I no longer can run with hardware
graphics acceleration. DxDiag seems to see the card and reports no
problems with hardware acceleration. I run all the tests and there are
no problems found or reported. Also, in the properties panel I have
hardware acceleration set to "Full".

However, Quake II, Links and MS Flight Sim all have trouble and
disable or ignore hardware acceleration. Quake II says that hardware
acceleration isn't available, Links provides only Software Emulation
as an option, and MSFS 2k2 only runs in "Safe Mode"... and poorly at
that.

I have (re)installed DirectX 8.1 and the latest drivers from ATI.
Microsoft support insists that the ATI drivers don't support DirectX
and say that DxDiag is only a superficial test. ATI says MS is high...
that the drivers I've downloaded fully support DirectX and work great
for everybody else on the planet.

The pisser is that this worked find under Win98.

Anybody have an idea what the (real) problem is and how I might fix
it?

Thank you,
--Fairfax

graphics hardware acceleration disabled, used to work...

Post by David Hollwa » Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:37:36

Get updated drivers. In the case of Quake II, it requires OpenGL support -
which the built-in drivers supplied by Microsoft rarely (if ever) provide.
Not sure about the others, but if you're using the drivers that shipped with
2000 then I wouldn't be surprised if they lack all but the most basic 2D
functionality - if you haven't done so already get newer drivers from

http://www.atitech.ca

Quote:> Ladies and Gentlemen: