Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Appalle » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 06:12:38

Hello everyone.

I just happened to notice this yesterday.  Roughly 30% of the mp3 files I d/l
from say, WinMX , simply don't play under Win XP and WMP 8.  These same files
will play fine under Win 98SE (under one of the many progs I use like Media
Jukebox, Windows CD player, etc).  However, under XP when I go to play some
files, all I get is silence.  WMP displays the name and artist of the mp3, and
the little bar at the bottom moves to the right as if the file is being played,
but as I said, all you get is silence.

Can someone please enlighten to me as to why this is happening?  Obviously, this
is another fine M$ "enhance" under the XP OS, but I'd like to know what the deal
is anyway.  TIA!

A.

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by zachd [ms » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:23:40

Where could someone find sample files demonstrating the issue?  Are others
having the same problem?  We allow for random MP3 codecs to insert
themselves as our decoders, so it might be interesting to try playback with
mplayer2.exe on the same box, which prefers DShow codecs over ACM codecs
(WMP7+ prefers ACM).

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.
--

Quote:> Keywords: mp3 WMP8 silence windows XP

> Hello everyone.

> I just happened to notice this yesterday.  Roughly 30% of the mp3 files I
d/l
> from say, WinMX , simply don't play under Win XP and WMP 8.  These same
files
> will play fine under Win 98SE (under one of the many progs I use like
Media
> Jukebox, Windows CD player, etc).  However, under XP when I go to play
some
> files, all I get is silence.  WMP displays the name and artist of the mp3,
and
> the little bar at the bottom moves to the right as if the file is being
played,
> but as I said, all you get is silence.

> Can someone please enlighten to me as to why this is happening?
Obviously, this
> is another fine M$ "enhance" under the XP OS, but I'd like to know what
the deal
> is anyway.  TIA!

> A.

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Airman Basi » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:06:39

Noticed the same thing. They work fine with Winamp under XP, though.
Must be something to do with the encoding that MPlayer doesn't like.

> Where could someone find sample files demonstrating the issue?  Are others
> having the same problem?  We allow for random MP3 codecs to insert
> themselves as our decoders, so it might be interesting to try playback with
> mplayer2.exe on the same box, which prefers DShow codecs over ACM codecs
> (WMP7+ prefers ACM).

> --
> (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
> info.
> --

> > Hello everyone.

> > I just happened to notice this yesterday.  Roughly 30% of the mp3 files I
> d/l
> > from say, WinMX , simply don't play under Win XP and WMP 8.  These same
> files
> > will play fine under Win 98SE (under one of the many progs I use like
> Media
> > Jukebox, Windows CD player, etc).  However, under XP when I go to play
> some
> > files, all I get is silence.  WMP displays the name and artist of the mp3,
> and
> > the little bar at the bottom moves to the right as if the file is being
> played,
> > but as I said, all you get is silence.

> > Can someone please enlighten to me as to why this is happening?
> Obviously, this
> > is another fine M$ "enhance" under the XP OS, but I'd like to know what
> the deal
> > is anyway.  TIA!

> > A.

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by zachd [ms » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:25:34

WMP6 and MPXP use different codecs, though.  Testing with both wmplayer.exe
and mplayer2.exe would isolate the error out to either likely be a codec
issue or a file handling issue.  Sample content here would be really really
useful.

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.
--

> Noticed the same thing. They work fine with Winamp under XP, though.
> Must be something to do with the encoding that MPlayer doesn't like.

> > Where could someone find sample files demonstrating the issue?  Are
others
> > having the same problem?  We allow for random MP3 codecs to insert
> > themselves as our decoders, so it might be interesting to try playback
with
> > mplayer2.exe on the same box, which prefers DShow codecs over ACM codecs
> > (WMP7+ prefers ACM).

> > --
> > (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> > See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful
WMP
> > info.
> > --

> > > Hello everyone.

> > > I just happened to notice this yesterday.  Roughly 30% of the mp3
files I
> > d/l
> > > from say, WinMX , simply don't play under Win XP and WMP 8.  These
same
> > files
> > > will play fine under Win 98SE (under one of the many progs I use like
> > Media
> > > Jukebox, Windows CD player, etc).  However, under XP when I go to play
> > some
> > > files, all I get is silence.  WMP displays the name and artist of the
mp3,
> > and
> > > the little bar at the bottom moves to the right as if the file is
being
> > played,
> > > but as I said, all you get is silence.

> > > Can someone please enlighten to me as to why this is happening?
> > Obviously, this
> > > is another fine M$ "enhance" under the XP OS, but I'd like to know
what
> > the deal
> > > is anyway.  TIA!

> > > A.

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Johan Christensso » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:08:44

Can this have something to do with the limitation of 256kbit/s limitation
that Microsoft's MP3-codec have?

/JCh

> WMP6 and MPXP use different codecs, though.  Testing with both
wmplayer.exe
> and mplayer2.exe would isolate the error out to either likely be a codec
> issue or a file handling issue.  Sample content here would be really
really
> useful.

> --
> (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful
WMP
> info.
> --

> > Noticed the same thing. They work fine with Winamp under XP, though.
> > Must be something to do with the encoding that MPlayer doesn't like.

> > > Where could someone find sample files demonstrating the issue?  Are
> others
> > > having the same problem?  We allow for random MP3 codecs to insert
> > > themselves as our decoders, so it might be interesting to try playback
> with
> > > mplayer2.exe on the same box, which prefers DShow codecs over ACM
codecs
> > > (WMP7+ prefers ACM).

> > > --
> > > (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> > > See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally
helpful
> WMP
> > > info.
> > > --

> files I
> > > d/l
> same
> > > files
> > > Media
> > > some
> mp3,
> > > and
> being
> > > played,

> > > Obviously, this
> what
> > > the deal

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Buddy Houg » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:29:52

I upgraded to ECDC 5.02c and noticed that it took ten minutes to convert a
CD track to 128 kbps MP3 file.  When playing back with MP8, the song skips
and pops.

What's the problem?

> Can this have something to do with the limitation of 256kbit/s limitation
> that Microsoft's MP3-codec have?

> /JCh

> > WMP6 and MPXP use different codecs, though.  Testing with both
> wmplayer.exe
> > and mplayer2.exe would isolate the error out to either likely be a codec
> > issue or a file handling issue.  Sample content here would be really
> really
> > useful.

> > --
> > (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> > See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful
> WMP
> > info.
> > --

> > > Noticed the same thing. They work fine with Winamp under XP, though.
> > > Must be something to do with the encoding that MPlayer doesn't like.

> > others
> > with
> codecs

> helpful
> > WMP

> > files I
> > same
> like
> play
> the
> > mp3,
> > being

> > what

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Joe » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:05:26

Quote:> I upgraded to ECDC 5.02c and noticed that it took ten minutes to convert a
> CD track to 128 kbps MP3 file.  When playing back with MP8, the song skips
> and pops.

> What's the problem?

Media Player. Why don't you just use WinAMP or anything else not made by
Microsoft?

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Buddy Houg » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:52:10

I installed MusicMatch 7.0 today.  It made an MP3 file at 0.4X speed and
still played back with pops and skips.  Will WinAMP be any better than
MusicMatch?  Do I need to purchase one of the MP3/DVD encoders made by
*link, Intervideo or Ravisent for this thing to work.  This is
ridiculous after purchasing a 1.8 Gig machine with 512 Megs RAM and
everything but the kitchen sink.

Thanks for any suggestions....

> > I upgraded to ECDC 5.02c and noticed that it took ten minutes to convert
> > CD track to 128 kbps MP3 file.  When playing back with MP8, the song
skips
> > and pops.

> > What's the problem?

> Media Player. Why don't you just use WinAMP or anything else not made by
> Microsoft?

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Galley_SimRace » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:34:37

Quote:>I installed MusicMatch 7.0 today.  It made an MP3 file at 0.4X speed and
>still played back with pops and skips.  Will WinAMP be any better than
>MusicMatch?  Do I need to purchase one of the MP3/DVD encoders made by
>*link, Intervideo or Ravisent for this thing to work.  This is
>ridiculous after purchasing a 1.8 Gig machine with 512 Megs RAM and
>everything but the kitchen sink.

>Thanks for any suggestions....

I encode 128Kbps MP3's at 22-25x using RealOne with a 1.4GHz Athlon
and 512MB RAM.  Do you have error correction turned off?

--
"Terrorism doesn't scare me;
I sprinkle Anthrax on my Corn Flakes"

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Buddy Houg » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:58:49

This is becoming quite confusing.  Where do I find the "error correction"
option?  I finally broke down and purchased the Intervideo encoder software.
At least it encodes MP3s and is much faster.  I have ruined two CD-Rs
because it finalized them before I wanted them closed.  I could not find
where I could select the option to leave the disk open for additional
sessions using WMP8 nor anything about this topic under the "Help" option.
I think I should just go back to my audio tape recorder and and leave it
alone.

Merry Christmas

> >I installed MusicMatch 7.0 today.  It made an MP3 file at 0.4X speed and
> >still played back with pops and skips.  Will WinAMP be any better than
> >MusicMatch?  Do I need to purchase one of the MP3/DVD encoders made by
> >*link, Intervideo or Ravisent for this thing to work.  This is
> >ridiculous after purchasing a 1.8 Gig machine with 512 Megs RAM and
> >everything but the kitchen sink.

> >Thanks for any suggestions....

> I encode 128Kbps MP3's at 22-25x using RealOne with a 1.4GHz Athlon
> and 512MB RAM.  Do you have error correction turned off?

> --
> "Terrorism doesn't scare me;
> I sprinkle Anthrax on my Corn Flakes"
> Galley

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Galley_SimRace » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:57:28

Quote:>This is becoming quite confusing.  Where do I find the "error correction"
>option?  I finally broke down and purchased the Intervideo encoder software.
>At least it encodes MP3s and is much faster.

The *link MP3 Creation Pack is pretty fast.  I'm guessing about
15-20x for me.  The error correction option is found in RealOne and
Real Jukebox, but apparently not in WMP8

--
"Terrorism doesn't scare me;
I sprinkle Anthrax on my Corn Flakes"
Galley

Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Post by Frank Zimmerma » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:51:31

Error Correction for WMP is in Tools-Options-Devices-Properties.

> >This is becoming quite confusing.  Where do I find the "error correction"
> >option?  I finally broke down and purchased the Intervideo encoder
software.
> >At least it encodes MP3s and is much faster.

> The *link MP3 Creation Pack is pretty fast.  I'm guessing about
> 15-20x for me.  The error correction option is found in RealOne and
> Real Jukebox, but apparently not in WMP8

> --
> "Terrorism doesn't scare me;
> I sprinkle Anthrax on my Corn Flakes"
> Galley

1. Some mp3 files simply don't work in WMP 8.0 (all you get is silence)

Hello everyone.

I just happened to notice this yesterday.  Roughly 30% of the mp3 files I d/l
from say, WinMX , simply don't play under Win XP and WMP 8.  These same files
will play fine under Win 98SE (under one of the many progs I use like Media
Jukebox, Windows CD player, etc).  However, under XP when I go to play some
files, all I get is silence.  WMP displays the name and artist of the mp3, and
the little bar at the bottom moves to the right as if the file is being played,
but as I said, all you get is silence.

Can someone please enlighten to me as to why this is happening?  Obviously, this
is another fine M$ "enhance" under the XP OS, but I'd like to know what the deal
is anyway.  TIA!

A.

2. NAT software

3. WMP 8.0 can't see connection - zachd's fix didn't work!

4. Windows Movie Maker 2

5. Brightness & Contrast Buttons Don't Work, ver 8.0

6. So, no winners have been announced?

7. OpenGL samples don't work in Mandrake 8.0

8. 1022 byte limitation

9. WMP 8.0 - radio tuner isn't working

10. Installs don't work - what am I missing?

11. I am sorry: Title tags in IE 6 browser don't work (WinXP)

12. WMP 8.0 Can't Find Files in XP Professional

13. unable to play mp3's and mpeg-player simply "disappears"