Mobile Data Calls On The Move

Post by Chris Col » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it's possible in any way to get data information sent
across BT payphones? I.e. Plugging a modem into some hidden socket, or using
some new version of an acoustic coupler...

Any ideas would be welcomed, it's just I thought that using payphones would
be such an easy and cheap way to check up on email etc. while on the move
(if you can't afford a posh PCMCIA card and GSM phone).

Any ideas are appreciated.

Mobile Data Calls On The Move

Post by R.O.J. Brunstin » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Dear Chris,

<< Does anyone know if it's possible in any way to get data information
sent across BT payphones? I.e. Plugging a modem into some hidden socket, or
using some new version of an acoustic coupler... >>

     Haven't seen BT payphones with a modem socket so it will have to be an
acoustic coupler. While using an acoustic coupler can be close to a Harry
Houdini act. Dial out, hear modem screeching, slamming horn into acoustic
coupler, loosing contact, trying again, loosing contact while downloading
the first mail, etc. While the many places were pay phones are located have
no shelve or other to place palmtop, coupler and other gear on. Plus that
these places can be noisy, greatly reducing the reliability of a coupler.

     It's much easier to take a small modem with you and to use the office
facilities along the larger motorway sites. A large number of petrol
nowadays offer fax facilities and it's easy to use their fax line. That's
what I did while staying at a hotel in Katowice, Poland. International
calls could only be made via the reception. So I went downstairs, had a
chat with  the receptionist and was allowed to plug my modem into their fax
line.

--
Kind Regards,
Rolf Brunsting - Delft - Netherlands

Mobile Data Calls On The Move

Post by JF Meze » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> << Does anyone know if it's possible in any way to get data information
> sent across BT payphones? I.e. Plugging a modem into some hidden socket, or
> using some new version of an acoustic coupler... >>

Look at a company called adaptec. (I think www.adaptec.com). They have an
accountic coupler (or a combo coupler/modem) that works quite well on public phones.

I generally limit the speed to 2400 baud, but with compression, I find that it
is more than enough for my 3c anyways.

I am able to connect problem free most of the times from Australia's pay phone
to my home in Canada. It also makes it easy to use calling cards etc etc
before putting handset into craddle.

It does take some getting used to.

Some remote areas do have phones whose bandwidth isn't good enough for data
calls, even at 2400, but usually it is not a problem.

1. Cheap calls from mobile to isp.

Hi

I posted recently that I was having a problem using ontel to access the web
from my psion revo plus via ir and nokia 7110e.

I still cant get ontel to work so I thought I would try telco-4u, I can't
get the psion to acept the tel no as you have an 0800 number followed by
4444 and the revo won't accept "," as a separator.  I am not yet pulling my
hair out, but its close.

I can get 0845 isp's to work (lineone and orange net) and an orange number
(orange net isp), so its not a hardware problem.

Does anyone now of an 0800 isp that works with the above setup, that bill
you for the time online?

I am sure it would be useful to know who works for all those people out
there who use mobiles for web access.

Regards

Calvin

2. Old laptops

3. German call by call provider...

4. NewBasic card game - 21 beta 0.2

5. Internet call by call

6. SIMM prices lowdown

7. Plug pulled on site. Mobile Pictures has moved

8. changing workgroup name

9. Orange Charging for 0800 Data Calls

10. Dissapointed with Data to Contacts move

11. Moving Data files to Contacts on a 5mx

12. Moving data from Psion to Palm 3