Dial up question?

Post by S.H.van Roeke » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello S5 friend
First of all I am very happy with the dutch S5 I bought!!
Ofcourse I have Some questions, As an 3a and 3c user I know a lot about this
machines, but make an phonecall won't work by me
Does anybody knows why the 3a and 3c with the same settings is doing it oke
and not the S%??
S.H.v.Roekel

Dial up question?

Post by ru.. » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Ofcourse I have Some questions, As an 3a and 3c user I know a lot about this
> machines, but make an phonecall won't work by me
> Does anybody knows why the 3a and 3c with the same settings is doing it oke
> and not the S%??

You mean:

a. generating DTMF tones ? Ive difficulties myself too in this area.
   I'll be mailing support for the right settings...
b. You do not know where to go for dialing:
   Go to Data (the one with the adresses if you have more than one Data file)
   and press Fn and Menu simultaniously. That should do the trick :)

Quote:> S.H.v.Roekel

Regards,
        Ruben

--
.-------------------------------------------------------------------.

| Luna Internet - Systems & Software Engineer - NetBSD - AmigaOS_ //| #>

`-------------------------------------------------------------------'

Dial up question?

Post by Onno Ephrai » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hello S5 friend
> First of all I am very happy with the dutch S5 I bought!!
> Ofcourse I have Some questions, As an 3a and 3c user I know a lot
> about this
> machines, but make an phonecall won't work by me
> Does anybody knows why the 3a and 3c with the same settings is doing
> it oke
> and not the S%??
> S.H.v.Roekel

Well, I found out that the distance between the speaker (placed just
behind the pen) and the phone has to be much closer than I was used to
with my S3a.

Also I wondered why the telephone-symbol that I used in my Data-files to
list more numbers on a record was filtered out by the
conversion-program. VERY ennoying: now I have to rebuild my huge
database with telephone-numbers :-( . Maybe this was your problem too:
if you used telephone-symbols in a field rather than in a title, the
number will not be displayed anymore if you hit Fn-Menu ('Dial') on the
S5.

And last but not least: The international numbers which I changed two
years ago on my S3a to the formal syntax (703888888 [Netherlands] for
example) are not supported anymore and also are not converted to the new
syntax (for inst.: +31 (0)70 3888 888). This could also be the problem:
if you try to reach an international number with a converted database
the program will try to dial 703888888 in stead of 0031703888888.

Dial up question?

Post by Onno Ephrai » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >Also I wondered why the telephone-symbol that I used in my Data-files to
> >list more numbers on a record was filtered out by the
> >conversion-program. VERY ennoying: now I have to rebuild my huge
> >database with telephone-numbers :-( .

> Why not globally replace phone symols in your old data file with some
> text string (e.g. "pxp") before converting, and then replace them back
> again once converted? I presume you can do global replaces on the very
> wonderful S5?
> --

> Department of Artificial Intelligence,    Edinburgh University
> 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK                DoD #205

Do I hear some irony here ;-)?
In fact the answer is: no. It is not possible to do a global
find-and-replace in the Data-application. So there's another argument to
wait for the new ROM release (see also the thread about the new ROM I
started yesterday)...
Maybe the solution will be to export the data to a plain text-file,
replace the characters in any editor and import the file again. But then
again: by doing this the records will LOOK better but still it won't be
possible to see wich number will be dialed. So there are two things that
should be changed by Psion to create full compatibility: 1st include the
same features in the S5 or use a (better?) alternative. And after that
the conversion-program should be adapted to the new structure.

Onno Ephraim

Dial up question?

Post by Keith Walk » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: Also I wondered why the telephone-symbol that I used in my Data-files to
: list more numbers on a record was filtered out by the
: conversion-program. VERY ennoying: now I have to rebuild my huge
: database with telephone-numbers :-( . Maybe this was your problem too:

However I have found that you can enter more than one phone number in a
telephone field.   Enter the 1st number then press Shift-Enter, enter
the next number, etc.

When you press Fn-Dial to get a list of the dialable numbers for the
current entry it will list each of the numbers as a seperately dialable
field.

: And last but not least: The international numbers which I changed two
: years ago on my S3a to the formal syntax (703888888 [Netherlands] for
: example) are not supported anymore and also are not converted to the new
: syntax (for inst.: +31 (0)70 3888 888). This could also be the problem:

I must admit that I had expected/hoped that the S3a->S5 convertion
program would have handled such a conversion.    As I didn't have too
many entries to convert and I only needed to do it once I just
accepted this limitiation.

        Keith
--
Keith Walker, Fujitsu ICL, Lovelace Rd., Bracknell, Berkshire, UK     RG12 8SN

Dial up question?

Post by Ajai Khatt » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

|Also I wondered why the telephone-symbol that I used in my Data-files to
|list more numbers on a record was filtered out by the
|conversion-program. VERY ennoying: now I have to rebuild my huge
|database with telephone-numbers :-( . Maybe this was your problem too:
|if you used telephone-symbols in a field rather than in a title, the
|number will not be displayed anymore if you hit Fn-Menu ('Dial') on the
|S5.

On the S5 you can mark a particular label as a 'dialling' label by
going into label preferences and marking it as such.

|And last but not least: The international numbers which I changed two
|years ago on my S3a to the formal syntax (703888888 [Netherlands] for
|example) are not supported anymore and also are not converted to the new
|syntax (for inst.: +31 (0)70 3888 888). This could also be the problem:
|if you try to reach an international number with a converted database
|the program will try to dial 703888888 in stead of 0031703888888.

I always used the latter format (since its pretty much used
internationally) so this was never a problem for me.

Regards,
--

Engineering Consultant, The Market Net Group

Dial up question?

Post by Onno Ephrai » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> However I have found that you can enter more than one phone number in
> telephone field.   Enter the 1st number then press Shift-Enter, enter
> the next number, etc.

> When you press Fn-Dial to get a list of the dialable numbers for the
> current entry it will list each of the numbers as a seperately
> dialable
> field.

Yep, but you can't see which numbers are listed. The 'old' method with
the telephone-symbol in front of a short description resulted in a clear
list of 6 (in stead of 5...) numbers-with-text.

Quote:> I must admit that I had expected/hoped that the S3a->S5 convertion
> program would have handled such a conversion.    As I didn't have too
> many entries to convert and I only needed to do it once I just
> accepted this limitiation.

OK, to be honest: the same counts for me. But my main concern is the
incompatibility. Oh, and speaking about conversion: the last field of my
original database was 'filtered out' completely by PsiWin! But I didn't
use that field very much anyway, so again: it wasn't actually a problem
for me. But who knows, others might have a serious problem if a certain
field is missing.
>         Keith
> --
> Keith Walker, Fujitsu ICL, Lovelace Rd., Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
> RG12 8SN

Dial up question?

Post by Ajai Khatt » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

|Yes I know, but it is not possible anymore to list different numbers
|with a unique description. The 3a/c has the possibility to mark a line
|with a telephone symbol. During the dial-sequence you'll get the list of
|all the numbers found on lines with 'the symbol', including the
|descriptions.

I used to put short one-word descriptions after the number but they
never come up when dialling - just the label and the number. With
multiple numbers in the same field you used to get the label multiple
times. Is this what you mean?

|Sad enough I did the same, but decided app. two years ago to change the
|records. I thought that the Psion-Method was much easier and of cource
|didn't realise that it could become a problem in future.

The original manual, listed both methods if memory serves.

Regards,
--

Engineering Consultant, The Market Net Group

Dial up question?

Post by Ajai Khatt » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

|However I have found that you can enter more than one phone number in a
|telephone field.   Enter the 1st number then press Shift-Enter, enter
|the next number, etc.
|
|When you press Fn-Dial to get a list of the dialable numbers for the
|current entry it will list each of the numbers as a seperately dialable
|field.

The 3a has always done this.

Regards,
--

Engineering Consultant, The Market Net Group

Dial up question?

Post by Onno Ephrai » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> On the S5 you can mark a particular label as a 'dialling' label by
> going into label preferences and marking it as such.

Yes I know, but it is not possible anymore to list different numbers
with a unique description. The 3a/c has the possibility to mark a line
with a telephone symbol. During the dial-sequence you'll get the list of
all the numbers found on lines with 'the symbol', including the
descriptions.

Quote:> I always used the latter format (since its pretty much used
> internationally) so this was never a problem for me.

Sad enough I did the same, but decided app. two years ago to change the
records. I thought that the Psion-Method was much easier and of cource
didn't realise that it could become a problem in future.

> Regards,
> --

> Engineering Consultant, The Market Net Group

Onno Ephraim

1. Questions on dialing and sheet

I love this machine -- I've only just begun with it, but it is already
proving indispensible to me during the work week.  A minor gliche I
can't seem to work out:

I estabished a new city (Pacific Palisades) with information identical
to that of Los Angeles, except for the area code, which is 310 (Los
Angeles proper is 213).  I was under the impression that since I
specified Pacific Palisades as my home city, and its area code was 310,
that therefore the phone dialer would know not to dial the area code
when I tried to dial a number within the same 310 area code. However
this doesn't seem to be the case; the dialer dials the 310.

My phone numbers have been entered into Data with parentheses around
the area code and a dash between the prefix and the final four numbers,
like so:  (310) 123-4567.  When I press Fn-Dial the dialer is smart
enough to remove the extraneous characters from the field when it
displays the final dialing dialog box.  How come it isn't smart enough
to omit dialing the area code when it is the same as the area code
of the Home City?  The help info says something vague like "Your
machine can usually work out which international prefix, national and
area codes to dial based on the Country and Home Country and Home
City (set in the time program)."

My problem with Sheet is a nuisance rather than a suspected bug -- it
seems too inconvenient to have to hit the Fn key to use the simple
mathematical operators or to type the equals sign when starting a
formula.  In Sheet I use these characters much too often to be
comfortable with this.  Is there some more efficient way to type these
characters? (+ - = x )

2. OleDb Transaction error

3. Wavefinder lock-ups - One solution

4. Inside Macintosh Books by Apple Available

5. Back ups on S5MX

6. 130XE mod - what is it?

7. IR Port Hang ups

8. Change of Address

9. GPS Link-ups: Help Please

10. HP ups the ante

11. back-ups/passwords

12. Questions Questions Questions...

13. compact flash question and sound question.