Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by James Sargen » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

The email app on my 5mx seems to have got itself into a knot.

It's listed under "System" as an open file, but going to it results in a
blank screen and choosing "Close File" has not effect.

Any stronger way of stopping an upset program - preferably without doing
a reset?

Cheers,
James
--
Definitely not the opines of my employer.

Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by Philipp Maie » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> The email app on my 5mx seems to have got itself into a knot.

> It's listed under "System" as an open file, but going to it results in a
> blank screen and choosing "Close File" has not effect.

> Any stronger way of stopping an upset program - preferably without doing
> a reset?

> Cheers,
> James
> --
> Definitely not the opines of my employer.

Goto 'System', then Ctl-Shift-E should do the trick...

PM
--

Psion Serie 5mx Pro, SuSE Linux, GPS, Sylt and Maerklin mini-club:

http://www.eco.rug.nl/medewerk/maier/recreation

Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by James Sargen » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Goto 'System', then Ctl-Shift-E should do the trick...

Thanks for the tip but, sadly, it doesn't seem to have worked in this
case.  After a while, a message appears saying '"Email" is busy' and
choosing "retry" has no success.

Cheers,
James.

Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by SiB » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Goto 'System', then Ctl-Shift-E should do the trick...

> Thanks for the tip but, sadly, it doesn't seem to have worked in this
> case.  After a while, a message appears saying '"Email" is busy' and
> choosing "retry" has no success.

Ctrl+Shift+E simply tries to close all apps, in the same way that Ctrl+
E closes a single app/file.

You'll have to kill the app by going into Email (or at least the blank
screen you are getting), and press Ctrl+Shift+Fn+K. This should solve
the problem.

Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by James Sargen » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> You'll have to kill the app by going into Email (or at least the blank
> screen you are getting), and press Ctrl+Shift+Fn+K. This should solve
> the problem.

Fab!  That's the solution.

Thanks,
James.

Killing "Rogue" Apps

Post by Jonathan Madd » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> The email app on my 5mx seems to have got itself into a knot.

> It's listed under "System" as an open file, but going to it results in a
> blank screen and choosing "Close File" has not effect.

> Any stronger way of stopping an upset program - preferably without doing
> a reset?

Go into another app, tap the box at the top right of the screen and
press shift+ctrl+E. It will say 'Kill Email, Emergency Use Only'.
Select 'Yes'.

I use this occasionally on 'Web' when it appears to lock up.
--
Jonathan