S5 ROM 1.1

Post by JF Meze » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I've heard suggestions of another ROM version do you it will be a free
> upgrade from 1.01 ==> 1.1 or will I have to pay for the repairs of bugs.

When PSION leaked the information about ROM 1.1, there were to be 2 ways to do it:
 1- Send it to PSION for upgrade. (I think the price would have been near USD $100)
 2- DO it yourself (cheaper, but not sure it would be available).

There is no real information on what ROM 1.1 will contain. Tidbits I heard was
that there would
be no new built-in applications, just updates to existing ones.

It is a fair bet that SHEET will include sorting.

S5 ROM 1.1

--

Bedford, England
--

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Julian Samphir » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> I've heard suggestions of another ROM version do you it will be a free
>> upgrade from 1.01 ==> 1.1 or will I have to pay for the repairs of bugs.

>When PSION leaked the information about ROM 1.1, there were to be 2 ways to
do it:
> 1- Send it to PSION for upgrade. (I think the price would have been near
USD $100)
> 2- DO it yourself (cheaper, but not sure it would be available).

>There is no real information on what ROM 1.1 will contain. Tidbits I heard
was
>that there would
>be no new built-in applications, just updates to existing ones.

>It is a fair bet that SHEET will include sorting.

When you take your time and think about it, Psion are _always_ working on
something great. Just look how long it took for the Series 5 to come out.
Psion do not like revealing their new products as they know (and we do) that
the market they are trading in is very aggressive when it comes to getting
people behind its products.

Im not saying that the authors of the previous postings in this thread are,
but people seem to be impatient when it comes to getting the next
product/upgrade from Psion. I for one could wait until next year (and
probably will) for Psion to release a new product or an upgrade to my S5. It
is not life or death whether you get your upgrade (I apologise if your
"buggy" Psion is running some life critical system =).

On another note, I would not really like my Series 5 to be at the bottom of
a long chain of psudo "updated" systems... I dont think that people would
respect Psion as much if they released a new version of a machine every four
months (for example), and there was a Psion Series 5, 5a, 5b and 6...by now.

I like the fact that Psion are actually taking their time in producing the
"successor" to the S5 and I wish them all the best in producing (as they did
with the S5) a cutting edge machine that kicks all opposition into touch (at
the time of launch and in some aspects, even now).

My opinions are that Psion will release a new Rom, but only after (or just
before) they have released the new machine that has it in. I believe that
Psion will be implementing Java support although at the moment I haven't
really seen a "good" (take that as you will) Java program, perhaps I just
haven't been looking by my Pentium cant run them very quickly so I dont know
about a 18+ MHz RISC?!?! (and no... I dont want a flame on this topic saying
something along the lines of a RISC uses less instructions than a Pentium so
its faster.... I just dont care 8-) )

Now, there is a point that someone brought up in another post about Psion
needing to produce a cheep entry level machine to capture the "dont want to
spend 200uk pounds  on an organiser" market. I think this is indeed a good
idea (in principal). If Fred (or Freda) Bloggs, when he was 15-20 got his
hands on such a machine and was impressed by it... might actually think
about upgrading (to a Siena, 3 or 5) when his financial situation improved,
thus providing Psion a way to "get their foot in the door". This machine
would have to be marketed well, not like the Series 5... "what marketing", I
hear you ask... "exactly", I reply.

I know I shouldn't spoil this article with this but I have to say... and I
think that about 70% (an educated guess) of existing Psion customers who
have internet access will agree with me on this that Psion do actually suck
big time when it comes to customer relations. I dont know if its something
that working in London does to you but Psion do not seem to care about the
little people... us... the purchasers of their beloved machines, software,
hardware, SDKs and so on. I dont know if Psion and now Symbian (was Psion
Software) actually have their fingers on the "pulse" and actually listen to
us but they certainly dont talk to us. I can honestly say that I have never
seen an official post from Psion laying out the law on what to expect from
the new ROM... (or anything for that matter) even if it is something along
the lines of ... the ROM is scheduled to come out on xxx date with xyz bug

example. There has not been a single word about it on the news groups, they
could at least use comp.sys.psion.announce to tell people that something is
happening and to keep you eye on their site. I cant see how Psion have
actually kept their head above water by treating their consumers this way,
surely it would be better to keep our mouths watering with juicy bits of
info, rather than making wild unsupported guesses as to the next move they
will make and when, if ever, will they do it?!? Take a football team for
example... the fans are the first to hear about new player signings or a
change of management as the fans are the ones who put the cash into the bank
accounts of the club. I dont see anything like this when it comes to
Psion...

It seems they are scared of something ... I know MS is knocking on the door
and it is true, MS are gaining friends in the PDA market... it seems
slightly strange to me that there are a dozen PDAs running WinCE and only
two using EPOC32 (excluding the Philips). I cant understand why Psion didn't
push EPOC32 from the beginning, probably because they didn't want other
companies making better machines (or just flood the market with substandard
ones) and them just be relegated to making the software for them. Yes, now I
think about it I see their point... hmmm... About the SDK, I really cant see
what they could gain out of shipping it for 200uk pounds (except making a
stash of cash). I was a student when I purchased my SDK subscription and yes
with my student edition of VC++ that I had to pay for as well it ended up at
around 280 pounds. Im sure that is they sold the SDK for say, 50 there would
still be the market open for "serious" developers and also enable students
to produce some quality programs (as the younger generation have all he good
ideas). I would safely say that they would make more money selling the SDK
at 50uk pounds than at 200uk pounds  as you would get everyone with some
creative flair giving it a go. I know you may flood the Psion shareware
market with hundreds of substandard apps but just look at the quality of the
OPL programs out there and that is given away for free!!!!

Anyway, I think that just about covers my little outburst. If I can think of
any more, I'll let you know.

Enough talking to myself... as I guess this is whats happening =)

This are just a few of my thoughts on the future... please post some
intelligent comments on this article if you are going to bother at all (not
just ... oh I think this is all a pile of ****). I dont really want any
flames as I have got my flame proof suit on and I have just been given an
Induction talk on how to escape my new employers building in case of a fire
=) (and because I can filter out swear words or junk email quicker than you
can write it (and no, that doesn't mean I want you to try sending me 10000+
emails =) )).

Jules (my wage packet doesn't come from Psion... these really are my views
and not my employers).
Julian Samphire                           Software Engineer

Clifton Road                              Tel +44 1223 403910
Cambridge CB1 3QH                         Fax +44 1223 412692

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Brian Ellerke » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Julian we do indeed listen to your opinions.

The recent survey on 5Alive.psionking.com conducted by Stefan Smith is one
public example of this. The feedback was interesting.

Whilst I would love to share future plans with you I'm afraid that:

1. Our plans change and evolve
2. Our competitors also read newsgroups :)
--

Regards
Brian

A Psion Computers PLC employee in a personal capacity

Post by Philip Tricket » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Julian we do indeed listen to your opinions.

> The recent survey on 5Alive.psionking.com conducted by Stefan Smith is one
> public example of this. The feedback was interesting.

> Whilst I would love to share future plans with you I'm afraid that:

> 1. Our plans change and evolve
> 2. Our competitors also read newsgroups :)
> --

> Regards
> Brian

> A Psion Computers PLC employee in a personal capacity

It is nice to see that our comments do get read, and taken note of. Keep
up the good work!

Phil Trickett

P.S. I'd love a new ROM1.1 soon, and could you stick something in it so
you can use a Nokia 6110 without a softmodem ;)

Systems Engineer
Marine Informatics                      Tel: +353-1-475-2924
64 Harcourt Street                      Fax: +353-1-475-2952
Dublin 2
Republic of Ireland                     http://www.informatic.ie/marine/

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Danny Thompso » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[snipped lots of interesting stuff]

Quote:>I know I shouldn't spoil this article with this but I have to say... and I
>think that about 70% (an educated guess) of existing Psion customers who
>have internet access will agree with me on this that Psion do actually suck
>big time when it comes to customer relations. I dont know if its something
>that working in London does to you but Psion do not seem to care about the
>little people... us... the purchasers of their beloved machines, software,
>hardware, SDKs and so on.

[more stuff snipped]

Well Julian, your post was just the thoughtful opinion that I come here
to read, and I agree with many of your thoughts.

However, I do have to take issue with the above stuff that I've quoted.

While we don't get individual detailed briefings from Psion about their
exact intentions re: new products and improvements to existing ones;
we have here an extremely fertile community of people who can make
educated guesses about what's going to happen. Many of their guesses
appear to be *extremely* educated if you know what I mean ;-)

It's occasionally a bit of a bummer not to know about stuff; for
example I bought someone a 3a as a present (I was "rich" at the time
and loved the person alot) about a fortnight before the 3c was
released.

But the 3a did what I knew it would do, and is still used to this
day. Added to which the price was much lower than it would have been,
in order to shift stock. So, no bones broken there.

As for the S5, which I've owned for a year next week, it had a
peeling case, and an old ROM. Both were replaced by Psion with
a 24 hour turnaround to rural Dorset. I've had other problems,
but in the seven years that I've owned Psions I have never had
anything but excellent help and advice from Psion - including
free software, free repairs etc etc etc.

OK - let's say I've been lucky. But all the Psion range are
absolutely fantastic in what they can do. Of course I eagerly
await the new ROM, but I don't actually *need* it (I know others
need the sorting fixes for Sheet etc though).

I am constantly amazed by what my S5 can do. On the way back
from Ireland on Monday I was sending and receiving faxes and
emails to friends all over the world, finishing a funding
application for work, planning the route of a tour of the
UK by a Belarusian dance group - using EnRoute, and then I
started to teach myself programing in OPL (about time too).
All this from a puke-stained boat in the middle of the Irish
Sea.

So, this "Psion customer-relations sucks" stuff doesn't
really stand up. Compared with the alternatives on the
market; compared with trying to get tech support from any
other company, and compared with the vapourware announcements
that are so common elsewhere - I think we Psion users get
a very good deal.

Long may it continue.

P.S. Now I've got my Psion OBN, can I have a free copy of
Psiwin 2.2 ... please...?

--
Danny Thompson

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Ajai Khatt » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:44:10 GMT in comp.sys.psion.misc, Julian

Quote:>(and no... I dont want a flame on this topic saying
>something along the lines of a RISC uses less instructions than a Pentium so
>its faster.... I just dont care 8-) )

A RISC CPU generally uses more instructions ;-)
Though the ARM is better than most at combining certain instructions.

Quote:>have internet access will agree with me on this that Psion do actually suck
>big time when it comes to customer relations. I dont know if its something
>that working in London does to you but Psion do not seem to care

Realistically, I don't think *any* company really 'cares' about people
but they can give that impression by implementing certain things
better. If I had an HPC and the company agreed to replace it overnight
if it was faulty, I would think it was sound business sense to get
repeat customers - the bottom line is good motivation. ;-)

Quote:>About the SDK, I really cant see
>what they could gain out of shipping it for 200uk pounds (except making a
>stash of cash).

I think the price is reasonable - the money can go towards paying the
support people and the Web site and development costs towards better
SDKs and better documentation.

Quote:>I was a student when I purchased my SDK subscription and yes
>with my student edition of VC++ that I had to pay for as well it ended up at
>around 280 pounds.

Come now, most students are broke anyway. Are you saying Psion should
price their SDK so its affordable to students? You also ignore how
expensive it is to develop for other platforms (notably, Windows CE).
When taken in this context, the Psion SDK seems reasonable to me.

Quote:>(as the younger generation have all he good
>ideas).

You seem so sure of that...

Quote:>I know you may flood the Psion shareware
>market with hundreds of substandard apps

Its a bit like the indie file or music scene - there's an awful lot of
*out there but a few real gems!

--

Mobile Technology Consultant
Contact online: ICQ# 15273611 (for details: http://www.veryComputer.com/)

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Jonathan Keatin » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I would like to point out that if Psion do not release newer Psions more
frequently they may overwhelmed by the CE Handhelds, If you think about it a
new CE Handheld is released every month and Psion cannot sit back and
release a new Psion every 4-5 years if you think about it After the release
of the 3a there was no major change until the Siena was released I'm not
sure how long that is but it was long even when the 3c was released its just
another release of a 3a this was OK when the market was stagnant and the
only real company that sold PDAs were the people who made the PalmPilot and
this was designed for a completely different user to the Psion. But now the
Win CE2 Machines are coming out they will begin to take out the not so loyal
user of the Psion (I've vowed never to use a Win CE machine only Psions).
and Psion must keep up with the technology for the users who buy it purely
for its "Gadget" status perhaps a new one each year that takes a significant
step over that of the CE machines like the Keyboard on the Series 5 was its
main selling point because it was and still is the best keyboard on a PDA. I
don't believe that in todays market there is room for a SIBO system because
its applications cannot be compared with CE machines I believe that the
EPOC32 operating system is the only way to go although it is true that Psion
don't want to oversell there OS because of other releases being better than
that of the Series 5 but they need to establish the EPOC32 OS as something
that is used more on PDAs rather than the Minority of the PDAs.

But that's just my opinion on what I see as Psion beginning to get smothered
by the overwhelming release of CE machines

Can anyone tell me whether Phillips have actually used EPOC32 OS on there
Units?

Thanks for reading

--

Bedford, England
--

[SNIP]

Quote:>On another note, I would not really like my Series 5 to be at the bottom of
>a long chain of psudo "updated" systems... I dont think that people would
>respect Psion as much if they released a new version of a machine every
four
>months (for example), and there was a Psion Series 5, 5a, 5b and 6...by

now.
[SNIP]

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Brian Ellerke » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Some interesting thoughts there.

You should not look to us to compete in the "gadget" market whatever that
is.

Some of our competitors and some analysts make astonishing volume estimates
of the market for handheld devices.

I believe it is our desire to compete somewhere in this space - not the
gadget stores of Japan or anywhere else.

Many people here have very high expectations, are knowledgeable about the
market or products and will buy cutting-edge technology with little real
regard for the cost (I include myself in this). We are in the minority -
Filofax users are not :)

Some of the initial underwhelmed responses here to the Series 3mx launch
demonstrate this point.
--

Regards
Brian

A Psion Computers PLC employee in a personal capacity

>Psion must keep up with the technology for the users who buy it >purely
>for its "Gadget" status

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by JF Meze » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> When you take your time and think about it, Psion are _always_ working on
> something great. Just look how long it took for the Series 5 to come out.
> Psion do not like revealing their new products as they know (and we do) that
> the market they are trading in is very aggressive when it comes to getting
> people behind its products.

There is a problem here. To some of us. ROM 1.1 is not a "new" product but
rather the need to
fulfill a "promise" to finish the development of the S5 which, even PSION
admitted, was rushed to the market before being ready. Imagine you buy a house
and find out that the builder didn't have the time to put in the plumbing
fixtures, and the house builder promises to send a plumber "soon"
and that soon gets postponed a few times, and you still have absolutely no
idea what types of fixtures the plumber will install.

This is quite different from awaiting to see a new model of home.

I consider ROM 1.1 to be a fulfillement of PSION's need to finish the S5. I do
not consider it to be a new product.

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Stephen Jol » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Come now, most students are broke anyway. Are you saying Psion should
>price their SDK so its affordable to students?

Too right they should!

Steve "Student" Jolly

S5 ROM 1.1

Post by Ajai Khatt » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:42:05 +0100 in comp.sys.psion.misc, Jonathan

Quote:>Can anyone tell me whether Phillips have actually used EPOC32 OS on there
>Units?

Yes its on one of their phones which has a clip-on organizer - of
course, the interface is different but it *is* EPOC32:
http://www.symbian.com/devices/philips/philips.html

--

Mobile Technology Consultant
Contact online: ICQ# 15273611 (for details: http://www.icq.com/)