DATA: Warning: undocumented restriction on LABELS

DATA: Warning: undocumented restriction on LABELS

Post by jfmeze » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

If you have databases which have more than 28 labels, do not plan
on moving to the PSION5 because it cannot handle them (at least with the
standard data application).

So, if you thought you could use the fancy SQL functions to load some
serious stuff on your brand spanking new PSION 5, I would forget about
it if I were you.

Since this limitation which did not exist on the real PSION products
(S3a and S3c) is still undocumented, I cannot know if the limitation is
in the number of labels, or the total number of characters used by label
names or some other random parameter.

*I AM VERY VERY DISAPOINTED*

Post by Peter Ruczynsk » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> If you have databases which have more than 28 labels, do not plan
> on moving to the PSION5 because it cannot handle them (at least with the
> standard data application).

> So, if you thought you could use the fancy SQL functions to load some
> serious stuff on your brand spanking new PSION 5, I would forget about
> it if I were you.

Ok, the restrictions you need to know about are:

s3A max record size 1022
s5  max record size 8200

It would appear that you have created 28 fields which add up
in total size to 8200 bytes (or close to).

For both the 3a and s5 you can only access 32 fields in opl,
the data app however does not limit you to this.
(I don't know about the 3c but I guess it's the same.)

There are no field number restrictions if you use the C++ SDK but
you still have to adhere to the 8200 byte rule.  However, you can
have more than one TABLE in a DATABASE!  Upto 26 in fact, so you
could have a total field size of 213200 bytes (in 8200 byte chunks).

The Data app only uses a single table in its database.

So I suggest you limit the sizes of your string fields (which you do
when you create them).

String fields are limited to a max of 256 bytes anyway.
Memo fields have a theoretical limit of 2Gb (yes *G*!) but you
cannot get at them from opl :-(  I'm not sure how much
database space they take up.
So if you have large chunks of data, memo fields are the way
to go (as long as you don't want to do fancy stuff in opl!)

I can understand your frustration, especially if you have existing
apps, but once you learn to deal with the restrictions I think
you'll find it acceptable for most applications.  Maybe someone
will produce an extended database OPX which will allow access
to the memo fields.  So it's not completely impossible, hang on in
there!

Quote:> Since this limitation which did not exist on the real PSION products
> (S3a and S3c) is still undocumented, I cannot know if the limitation is

This implies the 5 is not a Psion product!  The limitations are
documented but you need to fork out for the SDK to find out about them.
Slowly all will become known, it's only been out a couple of weeks!

Quote:> *I AM VERY VERY DISAPOINTED*

Don't be :-)  It's a great machine, it's different to the Series 3
thats all!

Pete.
--

Soft Base Computing Ltd.   Anti spam, delete the trailing x in relpy
Visit the Psion Series 5 page at .. http://www.softbase.co.uk/psion/

DATA: Warning: undocumented restriction on LABELS

Post by jfmeze » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Ok, the restrictions you need to know about are:

> s3A max record size 1022
> s5  max record size 8200

> It would appear that you have created 28 fields which add up
> in total size to 8200 bytes (or close to).

I am trying to load up the same database with the same number of fields
as I was able to load up on the S3a, with the same field names. It is
true that for the S3a, the file was created with a C program running on
a VAX, I never actually tried to create 60 fields in the S3a's DATA
application by typing it in.

The other bad thing is that the coma delimited file I had generated will
only load the first record. The file has 60 fields, but the DATA
application only accomodates 28 and I guess it stops loading when it
doesn't find an end of line after the first 28 fields of the first
record.

The total size of the field names when added is 428 bytes. 60 fields.
Average of 7.13 bytes per field name.

I was able to load 28 fields. With the limit of 8200, this means that
each field takes up 292.85 bytes. So, 8 bytes for the field name
(assuming a count byte), and 284 bytes of "overhead" ?????

I realise that field names are "repeated". Once with "ColAx" , Once with
"ColBx" and once with the actual field name. But I would assume that
each of these repetitions would be in different records.

The MEMO field does have a stated and documented limit of 16 memo labels
max.

For the database I was able to load on the S3 but unable on the S5:

The maximum number of actual data bytes for a record is 1496 bytes. Well
within the 8200 limit for the new DATA. On the S3a I never had problems
because a lot of fields are not used to their max and the trailing
blanks were discarded during processing.

I will dump the 28 field database and see how much space is actually
taken up by the "descriptive records" is they are called that way on the
5.

DATA: Warning: undocumented restriction on LABELS

Post by jfmeze » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just looked at the 1 record DATA app file I created which maxed out at
28 fields.

The whole file was 3722 bytes, this includes all headers, and one
record.

So theoretically, the whole file should be able to fit inside of one
record because it is under the 8200 limit that seems to be the
documented limit. There must therefore be another limit, perhaps that
limit is in the DATA application itself and not in the database design.

Interestingly, one the data record that I was able to "half" insert
(since fields 29 to 60 were discarded as well as the other 78 records)
is before the actual data file descriptors that include field names etc.

Interestingly, the "Cols" begin with ColsA10, ColsB10 and go to
ColsA37,ColsB37 !!!!

(Instead of going from 1 to 28)

Post by Brendan W. Bree » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>s3A max record size 1022

only within OPL, the DATA app supports up to about 4K

______________________________________________________\_______Brendan W. Breede
                                                       \

faxmail: +49-421-400104 (also voice)                     \
snailmail: Graubuendener Str. 77; D-28325 Bremen          \
PSION-SW: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~brendan/    \
____________________________________________________________\__________________
[ Life is like a Ferrari: too fast - but so what, you can't afford it anyway! ]

Post by John McAlee » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I just looked at the 1 record DATA app file I created which maxed out at
>28 fields.

>The whole file was 3722 bytes, this includes all headers, and one
>record.

>So theoretically, the whole file should be able to fit inside of one
>record because it is under the 8200 limit that seems to be the
>documented limit. There must therefore be another limit, perhaps that
>limit is in the DATA application itself and not in the database design.

What is the _maximum_ you permitted in each field? Does it add up to > 8200?

1. labels on data file psi5

Please help me
A colleague has been using my psion 5 and when I look up telephone numbers,
the labels appear in a tiny text font.
On the smallest zoom they cannot be read - they are so small.

When I try changing the labels settings etc. only the size of the displayed
data is altered - not the label saying eg. Company

Does anybody know what has happened or how to fix it ? Please email if

Thanks

2. Textarea gadget type and Toolbox distribution

3. Creating labels from 3a data file

4. Pengo- Sergio's or Spicer's???

5. Bug: Data not showing labels

6. GUI Setup crashes

7. Program needed for printing mailing labels from data

8. Creating application using webBrowser Control

9. How to change font size of data labels in Psion 5?

10. S5: Is there a limit on how many labels one can have in DATA?

11. Editing Data Labels and what is the 3c?

12. Ctrl-Space in Data on netBook moves to last label across in List view

13. Converting text to number label-types in Data