Notepad

Post by Roger Bowerin » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone out there use Notepad (from Pelican Software).

I just can't understand how it works, but in principle it looks a brilliant
app.

Please help. I'd just like to ask one or two email questions about how to
use it effectively

Rog

Notepad

Post by K » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:43:03 +0100, "Roger Bowering"

>Does anyone out there use Notepad (from Pelican Software).
>I just can't understand how it works, but in principle it looks a brilliant
>app.
>Please help. I'd just like to ask one or two email questions about how to
>use it effectively

Take a look at the on-line manual in pdf format:

http://www.npdeluxe.com/notepad_manual.pdf

you can also join an emailing list:

http://www.npdeluxe.com/nplist.html

Its worth getting to grips with.

KP
Regards

Keith

Notepad

Post by Nigel Bambe » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

writes

>Hi Roger,

>> I just can't understand how it works, but in principle it looks a brilliant
>> app.

>It is a good (not brilliant) application. But it seems to be a dead
>application too. No update for a long time. What specific questions do
>you have?

But it's the only third party App , apart from my own ofcourse -:), that
I use every day and have done for 18 months now and *I* think that it is
the essential buy for the Psion.

Just because it hasn't been updated doesn't mean that's its no good and
doesn't make it not worth purchasing. Not all commercial software is
updated.

 A 'possible' update has been intimated by the author but not confirmed
as definite.

Nigel Bamber
HomeBank - Http://www.highfell.demon.co.uk/psion.htm

Notepad

Post by Rolf Brunsti » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:51:21

Ivo,

<< Does somebody work with notepad for 5mx and want to share ideas? >>

Notepad is a very flexible application which can be used for several
purposes. The flexibility has the effect that it's not always clear
where and how to start. Your request for ideas has the same effect,
difficult to tell whether our ideas hit the mark.

To give you one idea, I've used Notepad as a kind of scrapbook for the
technical support of instruments. Each instrument had a pad in which I
recorded such things as:
- Numbers of commonly used parts,
- Fuse ratings,
- Settings for particular modes of use,
- Error codes,
- Reference numbers of drawings in our technical library,
- Things to watch out for,
- Cable specifications and their suppliers,
- Test voltages,
- Pin configuration of connectors,
- Etc.
These pads had links to external files. Like technical papers,
converted from the MS-Word originals written by our R&D people.

All pads had the same structure to make quick look-up easier. And every
time I found something to note/remember it would be recorded in the
instrument's pad. So, the longer I worked with an instrument the more
experience, facts and tidbits would be stored in them. Sad thing is
that, when I left the company, these pads were 'orphaned'. My successor
strongly preferred to use a laptop PC and to build up his own resource.

--
Kind Regards,
Rolf Brunsting - Delft - Netherlands

Notepad

Post by Ton Boele » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:34:40

I would like to share ideas. I think it is too bad that Notepad isn't
being developped anymore. It is a great application!

Ton

> Does somebody work with notepad for 5mx and want to share ideas?
> I don't get answers from pelicansoft on my questions!!!

> Does somebody has good plug inns?

Ton Boelens (MCSE/MCT)
IT Consultant / Senior trainer

Notepad

Post by Rolf Brunsti » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:02:21

Ton,

<< I think it is too bad that Notepad isn't being developped anymore >>

Notepad was first developed for Psion's Series 3 machines. Version 6.4x
was the last to be supplied as shareware and withdrawn when version 7
was made available commercially. Notepad for the Series 5(mx) is a
complete rewrite of version 7 for the EPOC operating system. The
Notepad you have is thus the result of a quite extensive development.

The writer of Notepad, Mark Esposito, was one of the SysOps of the
Psion Forum on CompuServe. With Wolfgang Shirmer, one of the other
SysOps, writing some of the plug-ins. From what I remember of
discussions on the Forum was that the development of Notepad was
levelling off. An increasing number of enhancement requests were based
on the way individual people were using Notepad. Better to be realised
in the form of a plug-in than as a function within Notepad itself. And
it's the plug-in capability that makes the 'development' of Notepad
open ended. Without Notepad itself having to be changed.