Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by reea » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Just a thought... wouldn't it be nice if we could organise the extras bars
by just dragging the icons around in the bars (much like Win95's Start Menu
after IE4 is installed) instead of doing it the normal way, which is a bit
time consuming???

Thanx!!
:)

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Jonathan Keatin » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread...

How about putting Messaging Suite in the ROM

--

Bedford, England
--

>Just a thought... wouldn't it be nice if we could organise the extras bars
>by just dragging the icons around in the bars (much like Win95's Start Menu
>after IE4 is installed) instead of doing it the normal way, which is a bit
>time consuming???

>Thanx!!
>:)

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Jason Henega » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Is comp.sys.psion.suggestions beckoning?  I'm sure everyone has at least one
idea for Psion to pursue.

As for putting things into the ROM, one must beware what's happening to
Microsoft operating systems and software - it's turning into (buggy)
Bloatware.

--Jase

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Timothy Gil » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Yet another idea:  how about being able to choose whether the toolbar
appears on the left or the right?  Obviously I suggest that because
I'm lefthanded, same as about 6 million other people in the UK!

                Tim

 Clarendon Laboratory,  Parks Road,  Oxford.  OX1 3PU

Post by Chris.omitthisbit.Br.. » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread...

>How about putting Messaging Suite in the ROM

I'd rather it ran a bit faster first. General use of Web, and the
startup time of Email seem rather pedestrian compared to the ROM
applications.

Looking forward to Opera.

--
/*  _  */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA"
/* / ` */"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Jonathan Keatin » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm left handed :)

The toolbar would be good... They should also make a wide piece of plastic
on each side instead of the left (the bit near the screen) - Obviously they
can't do that it would make it bigger

--

Bedford, England
--

Post by JF Meze » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> hope Psion is using the repeated ROM delays to ship a new machine and a new
> ROM simultaneously, and quickly before the Christmas buying season heats
> up.

I have a feeling that the special metal case S5 will be PSION's christmas
sales push. Why would they release that if they had something else up their
sleeve ?

What I find interesting is the mention of "PSION OFFICE tm" in the publicity
on the web, and that includes "presentation maker" as well as word and sheet.

I get a feeling that ROM 1.1 is really just around the corner now. It will
probably coincide with the official release of that metal case special edition.

Would not be surprised (although not sure it will happen) if the upgrade path
from the *-S5s won't be a ROM swap but rather a whole unit swap.

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Tyler Thueso » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread...

You have a remakable talent for judging Psion users... :-].

Quote:> How about putting Messaging Suite in the ROM
> >Just a thought... wouldn't it be nice if we could organise the extras
bars
> >by just dragging the icons around in the bars (much like Win95's Start
Menu
> >after IE4 is installed) instead of doing it the normal way, which is a
bit
> >time consuming???

Of course I must add my .02. Of course you will have all sorts of people
crying for Sheet Sort and Word RTF before any bells-n-whistles. Myself, I
hope Psion is using the repeated ROM delays to ship a new machine and a new
ROM simultaneously, and quickly before the Christmas buying season heats
up. With Symbian #1 on Bill Gates' radar, they don't stand much of a chance
without pulling out some big guns. (Or rather, some small powerful palmtops
:-) )

You have to look at the "markets." The S5, I think, easily beats Palm Pilot
disregarding size. However the S5 is woefully inadequate compared to a
"190MHz" CE device. Problem is users are looking for "wow" instead of "can
I actually do any work on it." So yes, Psion is successful in it's market,
but, um,  what market are they in and what market are they trying to be in?
If they avoid the CE market they will survive but fade into the background
as proprietary and niche. If they try to compete with CE they will be
ruthlessly crushed by the Micro$haft hegemony. (Or bought out.)

Dangit, I watched Gates kill my beloved OS/2 and now I fear it will crush
Psion. Oh well, even though I really can't use OS/2 anymore because all new
software (alright, games ;-) ) requires Win95, at least I can continue to
use my fathful 3c as an organizer until 2019. But if I want a new "pocket
computer" I fear it will have "Intel Inside" and "Designed for Microsoft
Windows 98" on the cover and last 2 hours on a set of NiMH batteries in
between crashes unless Psion/Symbian/Somebody does something quick.

Ok, maybe my .03 :-/.

Post by Stev » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> Dangit, I watched Gates kill my beloved OS/2 ...

>Sorry, Bill didn't kill that one, it was still born.  In any case, Microsoft's
>entire turnover is still smaller than the profit alone that IBM makes from its
>software sales so there can't have been that much damage done.

It was still-born because Microsoft shot it before birth, pulling out of an
agreement to develop OS/2 jointly and releasing a competitor before OS/2 was
finished (Windows 3.0).

Steve Jolly

----------------
To reply by email, remove "nospam" from email address.

Symbian Employees: An idea for Rom 1.1

Post by Tyler Thueso » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > hope Psion is using the repeated ROM delays to ship a new machine and a
new
> > ROM simultaneously, and quickly before the Christmas buying season
heats
> > up.

> I have a feeling that the special metal case S5 will be PSION's christmas
> sales push. Why would they release that if they had something else up
their
> sleeve ?

I got that feeling too :-(.