Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Post by nickte.. » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00



I have a 3-link RS232 with the square(ish) connector that used to
fit very nicely into the provided comms port slot of the 3a.
Having taken delivery of a new 3c, I was unaware that this
cable will not fit the redesigned RS232 slot in the 3c, and
consequently I am unable (for the time being) to download
all the info I carefully backed up to my PC via PsiWin.

Does anybody know where I might purchase a suitable
connector thingy to enable me to use PsiWin and my
3Link once more.?

If not, what do I need to ask for?

Please reply as if to a tech-moron.

Thanks in advance.

Nick Sales

 
 
 

Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Post by Bill R » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Does anybody know where I might purchase a suitable
>connector thingy to enable me to use PsiWin and my
>3Link once more.?

I have to admit I don't own a 3c but as I understand it;

The 3a dosen't have an RS232, the signal it sends out is propritary
and the box on the wire converts this to 232 (the soap on the rope).
Your new 3c actually has a real RS232 so the last thing you want to do
is plug in the old cable, what you want is a nice new cable.

I'm not clear, but as I understand it Psion will not be selling just
the cable, you'll have to buy a new copy of PsiWin (even if you don't
like Windows) or make your own.  Making your own shouldn't be too
hard, if you can get hold of the plugs that fit the socket on the 3c,
more importantly, if it's not too hard some enterprising company might
start making them and selling them for people such as yourself (and
hopefully me, assuming I'll ever be able to afford a 3c).

Basically you're going to have to buy a new copy of PsiWin, make your
own or wait for somebody to start selling them.

Lots Of Love

Bill Ray

 
 
 

Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Post by Justin Buckla » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00



>like Windows) or make your own.  Making your own shouldn't be too
>hard, if you can get hold of the plugs that fit the socket on the 3c,

Does anybody know where to get this plug? I could even offer a free 3c
serial cable ('home-made') to the person who supplies the information!

Justin Buckland

 
 
 

Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Post by Martin Elli » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>I have a 3-link RS232 with the square(ish) connector that used to
>fit very nicely into the provided comms port slot of the 3a.
>Having taken delivery of a new 3c, I was unaware that this
>cable will not fit the redesigned RS232 slot in the 3c, and
>consequently I am unable (for the time being) to download
>all the info I carefully backed up to my PC via PsiWin.

>Does anybody know where I might purchase a suitable
>connector thingy to enable me to use PsiWin and my
>3Link once more.?

>If not, what do I need to ask for?

Sadly, you'll have to buy a new copy of Psiwin as the old cable is
completely useless with a 3c and you can't buy the new cable on its
own.

Martin.


 
 
 

Help sought: How to connect 3a 3-Link to new 3c?

Post by Mike Mey » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:> Sadly, you'll have to buy a new copy of Psiwin as the old cable is
> completely useless with a 3c and you can't buy the new cable on its
> own.

As others have pointed out, the Agenda Synchronizer (sold for the
Sienna) is about half the cost, and includes the same cable (actually,
it'd be nice if it included a *shorter* one).

I've been told by Psion that replacement cables are going to be
available from Psion in the future.

        <mike

--
Do NOT reply to the address in the From: header. Reply to

 
 
 

1. where to get new plug for 3a's 3-link?

I bought a second-hand 3-link for psion 3a and found that
the plug that goes into the psion is in really bad shape
(so the 3-link don't work!).

I would like to attach a new plug to the 3-link.

Does anyone know where I can find such a part? part number?

Email reply appreciated.
Thanks
David
ps I will post answers to this question here:
http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/psion/psion.html
--

----------------------+   www: http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/
Cavendish Laboratory, |   tel: 01223-339852  fax: 354599  home: 740511
Madingley Road,       |        international code: +44-1223
Cambridge CB3 0HE. UK.|  home: 19 Thornton Road, Girton, Camb. CB3 0NP

2. Emerge ***EXTRA*** v3n10 - Acrobat PDF Newsweekly

3. 3-link 3a problems NEED HELP

4. Requirements to create stored procedures, part II

5. need help 3-link 3a

6. Terminal emulator for Palm III with IR functionality?

7. Psion 3a - making a serial cable(3-link? )

8. Small patch to tftpd; command line announce strings.

9. 3-link help needed

10. HELP: Anyone Have a Fix For This 3-Link Problem?

11. New Psion user seeks help

12. 3-Link....

13. Psion S3a 3-Link cable