'Replace Batteries' warning at ~50%?

Post by Michael Anderso » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I am relatively new to Psion with my 5mx, and after 6 weeks have just
started getting 'Replace Main Batteries' warnings at startup.  However,
looking at the indicator shows ~50% capacity.  Any ideas about this?  Should
I ignore it until the capacity actually gets to the point that I'd change
batteries on another system (like my old HP200LX), or is there some way to
alter when this warning happens?

Thanks,

Mike

'Replace Batteries' warning at ~50%?

Post by Duncan Boo » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi:

>I am relatively new to Psion with my 5mx, and after 6 weeks have just
>started getting 'Replace Main Batteries' warnings at startup.  However,
>looking at the indicator shows ~50% capacity.  Any ideas about this?
>Should I ignore it until the capacity actually gets to the point that
>I'd change batteries on another system (like my old HP200LX), or is
>there some way to alter when this warning happens?

Replace the batteries as soon as you get the warning message. The message
only happens when the battery voltage gets sufficiently low to need
replacing and there isn't any point trying to squeeze any more out of the
battery as you are just in danger of running down the backup battery as
well. 6 weeks is about typical usage for the batteries in a 5 or 5mx that
isn't in continous use. The battery drain when not in use is about 1mA
and 6 weeks is about 1000 hours. The 1000mAh drained during this time
when switched off is not recorded on the battery information display even
though it probably accounts for most of the usage.

'Replace Batteries' warning at ~50%?

Post by Tommy Li » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

wow, 6 weeks...
I go as far as 3 weeks tops.. and I do use the mains adaptor
My last set of Duracell ultra's last for 2 weeks in my 5mx

Quote:> Hi:

> I am relatively new to Psion with my 5mx, and after 6 weeks have just
> started getting 'Replace Main Batteries' warnings at startup.  However,
> looking at the indicator shows ~50% capacity.  Any ideas about this?
Should
> I ignore it until the capacity actually gets to the point that I'd change
> batteries on another system (like my old HP200LX), or is there some way to
> alter when this warning happens?

> Thanks,

> Mike

'Replace Batteries' warning at ~50%?

Post by Spik » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Does it make sense, then to leave the psion 5mx with mains power on, but
switched off, when not in use, in order to prolong battery life.

any disadvantages in doing this?

if they made the contacts on the already small mains adaptor spring loaded and
retractable, it would be quite cool.  hey, even a retractable cable......

--
Spike

/*************************************************************/
"He who fights and runs away is wasting valuable running time."

Arnold J Rimmer.
/*************************************************************/

1. EPOC - Replacing 'Enter' with Search and replace

Ho do I replace a carriage return, i.e. an Enter when I do a search?
E.g. I want to replace all commas plus carriage return with a period and
then a tab.
Ideas?
Many thanks!

_______________________________
To reply, replace "nes" with "bigfoot"

2. ambiguous (wrong?) compiler warning?

3. Series 5: 'Replace main AND backup battery' problem

4. Hey HP! HP 660c Cartridge Problems

5. "Replace backup battery" won't go away

6. Newbie q.

7. Replace Batteries Warning - revisited

8. Latest Harpoon Patches

9. Viewing 'agenda' and 'data' files on a PC

10. More info about Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantun'

11. Psion 'Jedi' and 'Quantum' at CeBIT ! :

12. Psion series 5: 'backup battery not present'