Problem connecting 5mx to Nokia 2110

Post by colin.whyle » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've been trying to connect a 5mx to a Nokia 2110 cellphone through the
Psion PCMCIA Modem card adaptor and Nokia Cellular Data Card DTP-2
Version II.

I can get the Psion to talk to the modem quite happily but when I dial
the number is called from the phone and almost immediately drops out. If
I try it from the comms program then I get a NO CARRIER message. I have
tried innumerable initialisation strings to no avail.

WARNING: I have uncovered one or two bugs in the process:

If you include either an ATS7 or AT&Q command in the initialisation
string then an error message pops up. It reads
                    Program:           EtelServer
                    Reason:             USER
                    Reason Code:    23

Once you have had this message any further attempts to connect to the
modem fail with the message (from the browser, for example)
                    Problem connecting to page
                                <URL>
                            Already exists

Not the most helpful message. It looks as though the EtelServer process
has not exited cleanly becasue the only way out is a soft reset of the
5mx.

So, has anyone else had any success connecting to a Nokia 2110? What
intiialisation string and other modem settings are you using?

Thanks,

( (:) |_ | |\| whyles

Problem connecting 5mx to Nokia 2110

Post by Allan Haga » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Silly question number 1, is your phone data enabled? In order to data and
fax from a mobile you need to contact your carrier and get the phone
enabled.

Where are you? as some continental carriers have very patchy data coverage
and you may have to switch from the strongest signal to another carrier.

Hope this helps,

                            Allan

Problem connecting 5mx to Nokia 2110

Post by colin.whyle » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

That is a good question. I had forgotten about that. I used to use the phone
for data, but that was a couple of years ago and I lost the phone once. I had
to have teh service disabled for a while. I wonder if they haven't re-enabled
the data...

Good clue. I'll follow it up.

( (:) |_ | |\|

p.s. I'm just across the yard from you. You're not supposed to give info like
that out!!

> Silly question number 1, is your phone data enabled? In order to data and
> fax from a mobile you need to contact your carrier and get the phone
> enabled.

> Where are you? as some continental carriers have very patchy data coverage
> and you may have to switch from the strongest signal to another carrier.

> Hope this helps,

>                             Allan

Problem connecting 5mx to Nokia 2110

Post by colin.whyle » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Allan was right! Cellnet had switched off the data service to my phone! This
probably happened a while back when I lost a handset and had the phone disabled.

All's well that ends well.

( (:) |_ | |\|

> That is a good question. I had forgotten about that. I used to use the phone
> for data, but that was a couple of years ago and I lost the phone once. I had
> to have teh service disabled for a while. I wonder if they haven't re-enabled
> the data...

> Good clue. I'll follow it up.

> ( (:) |_ | |\|

> p.s. I'm just across the yard from you. You're not supposed to give info like
> that out!!

> > Silly question number 1, is your phone data enabled? In order to data and
> > fax from a mobile you need to contact your carrier and get the phone
> > enabled.

> > Where are you? as some continental carriers have very patchy data coverage
> > and you may have to switch from the strongest signal to another carrier.

> > Hope this helps,

> >                             Allan

1. Can I connect a S5 and a Nokia 2110 and connect to my ISP?

Well now that I can connect to the internet via a PC, I can start writing
TCP/IP apps for the S5.

But if possible I would also like to run these apps using my mobile phone. I
know I could buy a new phone but I would PREFER to buy something to plug
between them, ( travel modem ? PCMCIA modem ) and do it that way.

Is this possible? What do I need? Where do I get it?

I'm in London,UK.and my phone is a Nokia 2110 on a Celnet tariff.

I hope someone can suggest a solution as I have NO experience of using any
sort of modem with my mobile and dont even know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance,

David Spooner

2. can MySql run over windows os?

3. Connecting 3a to Nokia 2110

4. defragmentation of server disk

5. PSION S5 to Nokia 2110

6. A1200 Motherboard problem.

7. Mesg Suite and Nokia 2110

8. Q: What is best setting in MTU, MRU??

9. Nokia 2110 with Data Card.

10. Link between nokia 2110 and 3C

11. PSION & NOKIA 2110

12. psion & nolia 2110

13. Problems connecting via Series 7 + Nokia 6310i