compact flash question and sound question.

compact flash question and sound question.

Post by Brian whit » Wed, 22 May 2002 03:51:28

I have a second hand psion 5 and it has an 8 meg compact flash card. I am
wondering what format the compact flash card uses? For instance, if I buy a
usb card reader, can I just slot it into my computer and read the card, and
copy and paste files like onto a floppy? i have abiword to read and edit
the psion word files on windows. Also, what is the deal with type one and 2
cards? Which do i buy? I do not use the backup battery (sometimes i forgot
to change the rechargable aa ones and it died) they are 12 bucks each here
in canada and bad for the environment anyway. So, I can spend my saved
backup money on a bigger compact flash card and ignore the c drive on the
psion altogether. OR NOT?
My psion has a problem with the sound recorder. (I was told in an earlier
posting that the microphone is only a press fit and it corodes after a
while). I am wondering if anyone has fixed such a problem by opening their
psion? Sometimes the sound is fuzzy and sometimes it is absolutely perfect
and I converted some to mp3 and they were just great. I do not live in
psion country. In victoria in western canada. so I would have to do the
repair myself. PS it has nothing to do with the ac because i never record
with the ac on.
Brian White

compact flash question and sound question.

Post by Bill Proto » Wed, 22 May 2002 04:50:04

Quote:> I have a second hand psion 5 and it has an 8 meg compact flash card. I am
> wondering what format the compact flash card uses? For instance, if I buy
> usb card reader, can I just slot it into my computer and read the card,
and
> copy and paste files like onto a floppy? i have abiword to read and edit
> the psion word files on windows. Also, what is the deal with type one and
2
> cards? Which do i buy? I do not use the backup battery (sometimes i forgot
> to change the rechargable aa ones and it died) they are 12 bucks each here
> in canada and bad for the environment anyway. So, I can spend my saved
> backup money on a bigger compact flash card and ignore the c drive on the
> psion altogether. OR NOT?
> My psion has a problem with the sound recorder. (I was told in an earlier
> posting that the microphone is only a press fit and it corodes after a
> while). I am wondering if anyone has fixed such a problem by opening their
> psion? Sometimes the sound is fuzzy and sometimes it is absolutely perfect
> and I converted some to mp3 and they were just great. I do not live in
> psion country. In victoria in western canada. so I would have to do the
> repair myself. PS it has nothing to do with the ac because i never record
> with the ac on.
> Brian White

As long as the CF is concerned, I own a CF reader and I use it the way you
describe: I plug the Cf card in the reader, drag & drop files, then remove
the CF card and plug it in my Psion S5 !!!
It is a great advantage :-)

I use a Sandisk 64MB CF card, Type I, I don't know about CFII and its
compatibility with the Psions...

Hope I helped a bit...

Post by alan smit » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:29:48

Quote:> I have a second hand psion 5 and it has an 8 meg compact flash card. I am
> wondering what format the compact flash card uses?

Tou can format in Windows, on the Psion, in Digital Cameras. The only
problems seem to be Mac formats- it can make the card unreadable in the
Psion.

 For instance, if I buy a

Quote:> usb card reader, can I just slot it into my computer and read the card,
and
> copy and paste files like onto a floppy?

Yes. Backups are a LOT quicker (and more reliable) than PsiWin

 i have abiword to read and edit

Quote:> the psion word files on windows. Also, what is the deal with type one and
2
> cards? Which do i buy?

Type I only. Type II are too thick yo fit in the slot.

 I do not use the backup battery (sometimes i forgot

Quote:> to change the rechargable aa ones and it died) they are 12 bucks each here
> in canada and bad for the environment anyway. So, I can spend my saved
> backup money on a bigger compact flash card and ignore the c drive on the
> psion altogether. OR NOT?

Using CF uses the batteries more quickly, and reads/writes more quickly.
Some configuration files will be saved onto C even if you install on D. The
CF writes will fail at a higher voltage so you may have enough power to
write to C, but D writes fail. More specifically, I have had the same backup
battery for maybe 3 years, and it is still at 3V. The battery should last so
long as you have charged batteries in the Psion. There have been some poor
contact issues if you find you get low backup battery warnings. Personally I
wouldn't run without the backup battery, but that is your choice.

Quote:> My psion has a problem with the sound recorder. (I was told in an earlier
> posting that the microphone is only a press fit and it corodes after a
> while). I am wondering if anyone has fixed such a problem by opening their
> psion?

It has been reported here, and I did notice it was push fit when I've had
the Psion in bits. I've not had the problem, but it has been reported as an
issue. Your choice really. There are sites that show the stripdown of the
machine to help if you decide to go ahead and try it. But it is a fairly
major stripdown, although you don't need to strip the screen.

Sometimes the sound is fuzzy and sometimes it is absolutely perfect

Quote:> and I converted some to mp3 and they were just great. I do not live in

Post by Alasdair Mans » Wed, 22 May 2002 06:58:02

> I have a second hand psion 5 and it has an 8 meg compact flash card. I am
> wondering what format the compact flash card uses? For instance, if I buy a
> usb card reader, can I just slot it into my computer and read the card, and
> copy and paste files like onto a floppy?

in theory yes. i do this routineoy with my CF cards used in
conjunction with my 5mx and a SanDisk USB CF card reader.

Quote:> Also, what is the deal with type one and 2
> cards? Which do i buy?

the series 5 only supports type 1 cards - they are noticably thinner
than type two cards.

regards

alasdair

compact flash question and sound question.

Post by limestone-cowbo » Wed, 22 May 2002 08:18:19

blimey, 12 dollars, they are 2 UK Pounds in some shops and about 30p to 50p
wholesale.

> > I have a second hand psion 5 and it has an 8 meg compact flash card. I
am
> > wondering what format the compact flash card uses? For instance, if I
buy
> > usb card reader, can I just slot it into my computer and read the card,
> and
> > copy and paste files like onto a floppy? i have abiword to read and edit
> > the psion word files on windows. Also, what is the deal with type one
and
> 2
> > cards? Which do i buy? I do not use the backup battery (sometimes i
forgot
> > to change the rechargable aa ones and it died) they are 12 bucks each
here
> > in canada and bad for the environment anyway. So, I can spend my saved
> > backup money on a bigger compact flash card and ignore the c drive on
the
> > psion altogether. OR NOT?
> > My psion has a problem with the sound recorder. (I was told in an
earlier
> > posting that the microphone is only a press fit and it corodes after a
> > while). I am wondering if anyone has fixed such a problem by opening
their
> > psion? Sometimes the sound is fuzzy and sometimes it is absolutely
perfect
> > and I converted some to mp3 and they were just great. I do not live in
> > psion country. In victoria in western canada. so I would have to do the
> > repair myself. PS it has nothing to do with the ac because i never
record
> > with the ac on.
> > Brian White

> As long as the CF is concerned, I own a CF reader and I use it the way you
> describe: I plug the Cf card in the reader, drag & drop files, then remove
> the CF card and plug it in my Psion S5 !!!
> It is a great advantage :-)

> I use a Sandisk 64MB CF card, Type I, I don't know about CFII and its
> compatibility with the Psions...

> Hope I helped a bit...

compact flash question and sound question.

Post by Brian whit » Wed, 22 May 2002 16:23:57

Thank you for all the prompt and clear explainations
brian White

1. Compact Flash RAM Questions

Greetings,

I have couple of questions regarding the Compact Flash slot in the S5.

If I purchase a CF card of some size (as big as possible, of course), is
that memory available only for file storage, or can it also be used
dynamically by applications?

Also, do I need any sort of utilities (such as the memory
checking/defragmentation utilities sold by NWT) to use the CF card, or is
the S5 itself capable of handling the CF card?

If anybody has any info on using CF cards (the FAQ is a little light on this
area, perhaps not enough people have experience yet), I would really like to
hear what you know.

Thanks!

Victor A. Atkinson
Senior Research Engineer
Syracuse Research Corporation

Phone: 315-452-8106
Fax:   315-452-8180

2. Music Writing Software

3. Series 5 Compact Flash Question

4. Slightly Urgent Question New BA - account setup just says "Dialing"

5. Compact Flash (CF) Card questions

6. Hello all c.s.s. meet people, just though I'd say...who the f$(k claims the melted Kentish rolos?

7. Compact Flash memory question

8. ANNOUNCE SSL-MZtelnet.0.3.2 (secure telnet)

9. Compact Flash compatibility questions

10. Viking Compact Flash 64mb, 80mb question

11. compact flash questions

12. (probably naive) question about S5, Compact Flash, & backups...

13. Compact Flash Card Question