The dreaded battery lead problem

Post by Chris Parson » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have had the symptoms of this for a few days (batteries dying very
quickly)
and have just rung up Psion UK Customer Services to be told that there is
now a 10 charge for a new set of battery leads, and 'no sir, there is no
design
fault'

Not to put too fine a point on it, this is absolute *- I am disgusted
with this
reaction, I can understand a charge being levied to cover costs etc, but
10 ????
to repair what is clearly a common problem is totally unacceptable.

I will attempt to repair the lead, and Psion have just lost a formerly
staunch advocate.

--
Chris Parsons
Phone   : +44-1392-382-201   Fax : +44-1392-382-488

Post by Chris Malco » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I have had the symptoms of this for a few days (batteries dying very
>quickly)
>and have just rung up Psion UK Customer Services to be told that there is
>now a 10 charge for a new set of battery leads, and 'no sir, there is no
>design
>fault'
>Not to put too fine a point on it, this is absolute *- I am disgusted
>with this
>reaction, I can understand a charge being levied to cover costs etc, but
>10 ????

Since it costs at least 5 quid to do the paperwork and packaging it
seems a fair price to me.

Quote:>I will attempt to repair the lead, and Psion have just lost a formerly
>staunch advocate.

You must value you own time very humbly if you can do this in less than
ten pounds worth of your own time (I know what it involves.)

May I suggest that you invest in a looseleaf paper diary and a pencil?
You will find this system remarkably reliable, very low running costs,
and repairs can be carried out with ordinary household materials. Of
course it costs a lot more in your time, but we know this is not a
costly item.
--

Department of Artificial Intelligence,    Edinburgh University
5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK                DoD #205

The dreaded battery lead problem

Post by Simon Robert » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I was also astonished that they asked me for 10 for a replacement lead
a couple of weeks ago, when my 3 started switching off prematurely and
giving low battery warnings.

*HOWEVER*, if you talk to them very nicely you can get them to send you
one for free.  It helps if you've got a 'come-to-bed' voice and you get
a cooperative young lady who is in a good mood at the time (please
reverse the genders if appropriate) ...

Simon.

Post by Daniel Pfun » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >I will attempt to repair the lead, and Psion have just lost a formerly
> >staunch advocate.

> You must value you own time very humbly if you can do this in less than
> ten pounds worth of your own time (I know what it involves.)

I beg to differ: it's a matter of 30 seconds to change the cable and
probably a matter of 30 minutes to re-solder a new wire in there.

30 minutes for 10 UKP makes 20UKP/hour, quite good, no?  (well, for my
standards ;-)

And before you ask, yes, I did it myself also.

Regards,

Daniel Pfund
--
|\ |\   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8130/