>Apparently it should be available in February, however I can't see Psion...
>Psion support and corporate marketing dept told me end of first half of 98,
>I decided to get one now and do an upgrade in a year when the major bugs
>should have been ironed out!! All they would tell me was it would include
>some new applications but no details.
February or March. It is possible that this has changed though.
With regard to the new functionality and applications we can all speculate as
much as we like. Here are the possibilities that I can see/my wish list (in no
1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.
2. Inclusion of the PowerPoint compatible (via PsiWin converters) presentation
pack (which is being released "to complete the Psion Office Suite" - as stated
in the Comdex report on their webpage).
3. Inclusion of a softmodem solution which is *apparently* still being
4. Busy and list views in Agenda.
5. Ability to sort Sheet entries.
6. Outliner back in Word.
7. Ability to open text files and associate applications with files in the
8. Word can export to Rich Text Format again.
9. Ability to link objects rather than just embed them. Think how powerful this
would make Agenda!!
10. Inclusion of Pocket Quicken - Palmtop BV are developing it for Psion and
there are absolutely no details available on it (suggesting to me that it could
be in there - is Psion playing it's usual game of keeping it under wraps because
this is so)? Anyone got any views on this?
11. Flashable ROM (like those used by many PC BIOS's these days) so that new
software versions can be loaded onto it in the future without having to send it
back to have it replaced. They probably haven't even thought of this, but I just
thought it was a good idea. So anyone from Psion reading this, please consider
it! Overall machine speed shouldn't be affected - I really don't know what
people are talking about with ROM 1.01 not being a flash ROM (this must be wrong
as if it were true, surely Psion would use this feature to administer the
upgrade instead of having to recall all those ROM 1.0 units). Thus, it shouldn't
affect the speed. The increased speed in ROM 1.01 must be caused by something
else. Perhaps, just a different memory type i.e. from a different manufacturer.
12. Further bug fixes e.g. to make the memory readout always display the RAM
disk size as being 8MB (which it is even though the system takes up some of the
space - please do not turn this into another 7MB v 8MB!) i.e. to fix the memory
We may get all (although I doubt it), some or none of the above. Anyone else got
Robert Wigley - Law Student at the University of Sussex
Try JWIN 1.01F for the Psion Series 5. Phil Spencer's utilities/conversion
program, which I am currently contributing to. Look for the new version 1.10F
This and all his other programs for the Psion range are available on his website