ROM 1.1 availabiltiy/wish list (previously should I purchase a Series 5?)

Post by Robert Wigle » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know when 1.1 is supposed to be coming out?...
> Kiwi
>Apparently it should be available in February, however I can't see Psion...
>Robert Wigley
>Psion support and corporate marketing dept told me end of first half of 98,
>I decided to get one now and do an upgrade in a year when the major bugs
>should have been ironed out!! All they would tell me was it would include
>some new applications but no details.

Originally they said Spring 98 and indicated to me that it would be either
February or March. It is possible that this has changed though.

With regard to the new functionality and applications we can all speculate as
much as we like. Here are the possibilities that I can see/my wish list (in no
specific order):

1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

2. Inclusion of the PowerPoint compatible (via PsiWin converters) presentation
pack (which is being released "to complete the Psion Office Suite" - as stated
in the Comdex report on their webpage).

3. Inclusion of a softmodem solution which is *apparently* still being
developed.

4. Busy and list views in Agenda.

5. Ability to sort Sheet entries.

6. Outliner back in Word.

7. Ability to open text files and associate applications with files in the
system screen.

8. Word can export to Rich Text Format again.

9. Ability to link objects rather than just embed them. Think how powerful this
would make Agenda!!

10. Inclusion of Pocket Quicken - Palmtop BV are developing it for Psion and
there are absolutely no details available on it (suggesting to me that it could
be in there - is Psion playing it's usual game of keeping it under wraps because
this is so)? Anyone got any views on this?

11. Flashable ROM (like those used by many PC BIOS's these days) so that new
software versions can be loaded onto it in the future without having to send it
back to have it replaced. They probably haven't even thought of this, but I just
thought it was a good idea. So anyone from Psion reading this, please consider
it! Overall machine speed shouldn't be affected - I really don't know what
people are talking about with ROM 1.01 not being a flash ROM (this must be wrong
as if it were true, surely Psion would use this feature to administer the
upgrade instead of having to recall all those ROM 1.0 units). Thus, it shouldn't
affect the speed. The increased speed in ROM 1.01 must be caused by something
else. Perhaps, just a different memory type i.e. from a different manufacturer.

12. Further bug fixes e.g. to make the memory readout always display the RAM
disk size as being 8MB (which it is even though the system takes up some of the
space - please do not turn this into another 7MB v 8MB!) i.e. to fix the memory
leaks.

We may get all (although I doubt it), some or none of the above. Anyone else got
any views?

Regards
Robert Wigley - Law Student at the University of Sussex
Handheld Software

Try JWIN 1.01F for the Psion Series 5. Phil Spencer's utilities/conversion
program, which I am currently contributing to. Look for the new version 1.10F
coming soon...
This and all his other programs for the Psion range are available on his website
at:
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nicko/index.htm

Post by Andrew Johnso » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> 1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

Seems pointless, you can make one yourself just using the existing
Database.  Apparently that's all the Series 3(c?) one is anyway.
Perhaps an easy way to do this would be to allow achoice between
different templates for new files, so you could create a new file of
type data using the Jotter template.

Quote:> 9. Ability to link objects rather than just embed them. Think how powerful this
> would make Agenda!!

Here here...

Quote:> 11. Flashable ROM (like those used by many PC BIOS's these days) so that new
> software versions can be loaded onto it in the future without having to send it
> back to have it replaced. They probably haven't even thought of this, but I just
> thought it was a good idea. So anyone from Psion reading this, please consider
> it!

I thought that most of the early machines actually used a Flash PROM
anyway because they couldn't get mask-programmable ROMs built in time,
or some similar reason.  You have to wire up Flash chips very slightly
differently to mask ROMs if you want to be able to reprogram them, and
they often need a higher voltage available too.  Thus the existing Flash
devices probably can't be reprogrammed in situ by the CPU (although
Psion could have designed it that way if they wanted to, maybe they
explicitly decided not to?  They must have some brains to have come up
the the machines they have produced...).

Quote:> 12. Further bug fixes e.g. to make the memory readout always display the RAM
> disk size as being 8MB (which it is even though the system takes up some of the
> space - please do not turn this into another 7MB v 8MB!) i.e. to fix the memory
> leaks.

I disagree, this is *not* a bug.  I expect Used + Free == RAM disk size,
with static and dynamic system RAM requirements taken off before the RAM
disk size is shown.  Otherwise I'd have no way of knowing how much more
data I could put in the thing (or I'd want to know why deleting all
files still left 1Mb Used).  Ctrl+Shift+K gives me exactly the figure I
want.  If I couldn't remember how much RAM is fitted into the machine I
bought, it's printed in orange just above the screen.  [I haven't had a
go in the 7M v 8M thread yet...]

-- Andrew
   ___
 .'   `.        Andrew Johnson, Head of Electronics
/ Royal )       Royal Greenwich Observatory
\ Greenwich     Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0EZ
+----------     WWW: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~anj

Post by Robert Wigle » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> 1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

>Seems pointless, you can make one yourself just using the existing
>Database.  Apparently that's all the Series 3(c?) one is anyway.
>Perhaps an easy way to do this would be to allow achoice between
>different templates for new files, so you could create a new file of
>type data using the Jotter template.

I know and have done. It would, however, be nice to be able to access it from
the Extras bar so that no matter what folder you are in you can find it... hence
a separate implementation!

Regards

Robert Wigley - Law Student at the University of Sussex
Handheld Software - Program development and feedback for the Series 5

Look for my Series 5 Website... coming soon!

Post by Anthony Hoo » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Here are the possibilities that I can see/my wish list (in no specific
> order):

> 1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

5/10

Quote:> 2. Inclusion of the PowerPoint compatible (via PsiWin converters) presentation
> pack (which is being released "to complete the Psion Office Suite" - as stated
> in the Comdex report on their webpage).

3/10

Quote:> 3. Inclusion of a softmodem solution which is *apparently* still being
> developed.

7/10

Quote:> 4. Busy and list views in Agenda.

9/10

Quote:> 5. Ability to sort Sheet entries.

9/10

Quote:> 6. Outliner back in Word.

9/10

Quote:> 7. Ability to open text files and associate applications with files in the
> system screen.

9/10

Quote:> 8. Word can export to Rich Text Format again.

10/10

Quote:> 9. Ability to link objects rather than just embed them. Think how powerful this
> would make Agenda!!

7/10 ... that would be really excellent .. but get the other things
working first.

Quote:> 10. Inclusion of Pocket Quicken - Palmtop BV are developing it for Psion and
> there are absolutely no details available on it (suggesting to me that it could
> be in there - is Psion playing it's usual game of keeping it under wraps because
> this is so)? Anyone got any views on this?

4/10

Quote:> 11. Flashable ROM (like those used by many PC BIOS's these days) so that new
> software versions can be loaded onto it in the future without having to send it
> back to have it replaced. They probably haven't even thought of this, but I just
> thought it was a good idea. So anyone from Psion reading this, please consider
> it! Overall machine speed shouldn't be affected - I really don't know what
> people are talking about with ROM 1.01 not being a flash ROM (this must be wrong
> as if it were true, surely Psion would use this feature to administer the
> upgrade instead of having to recall all those ROM 1.0 units). Thus, it shouldn't
> affect the speed. The increased speed in ROM 1.01 must be caused by something
> else. Perhaps, just a different memory type i.e. from a different manufacturer.

10/10  .. A MUST .. come on psion

Quote:> 12. Further bug fixes e.g. to make the memory readout always display the RAM
> disk size as being 8MB (which it is even though the system takes up some of the
> space - please do not turn this into another 7MB v 8MB!) i.e. to fix the memory
> leaks.

4/10

If they implement all those 6/10 and over then that would make many people
very happy.

Regards, Anthony

Post by Xavier Colonna de Le » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>With regard to the new functionality and applications we can all speculate as
>much as we like. Here are the possibilities that I can see/my wish list (in no
>specific order):

>1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

>2. Inclusion of the PowerPoint compatible (via PsiWin converters) presentation
>pack (which is being released "to complete the Psion Office Suite" - as stated
>in the Comdex report on their webpage).

>3. Inclusion of a softmodem solution which is *apparently* still being
>developed.

>4. Busy and list views in Agenda.

While we're at it, add a month view...

Quote:>5. Ability to sort Sheet entries.

>6. Outliner back in Word.

>7. Ability to open text files and associate applications with files in the
>system screen.

>8. Word can export to Rich Text Format again.

>9. Ability to link objects rather than just embed them. Think how powerful this
>would make Agenda!!

>10. Inclusion of Pocket Quicken - Palmtop BV are developing it for Psion and
>there are absolutely no details available on it (suggesting to me that it could
>be in there - is Psion playing it's usual game of keeping it under wraps because
>this is so)? Anyone got any views on this?

>11. Flashable ROM (like those used by many PC BIOS's these days) so that new
>software versions can be loaded onto it in the future without having to send it
>back to have it replaced. They probably haven't even thought of this, but I just
>thought it was a good idea. So anyone from Psion reading this, please consider
>it! Overall machine speed shouldn't be affected - I really don't know what
>people are talking about with ROM 1.01 not being a flash ROM (this must be wrong
>as if it were true, surely Psion would use this feature to administer the
>upgrade instead of having to recall all those ROM 1.0 units). Thus, it shouldn't
>affect the speed. The increased speed in ROM 1.01 must be caused by something
>else. Perhaps, just a different memory type i.e. from a different manufacturer.

It's not because the first Series5 had flash ROM that the underlying
electronics to actually rewrite the ROM was there. It seems the first
S5 to ship had flash ROM because it was much more convenient and fast
to produce a working ROM image this way. Once you have a "final"
version of the chip it takes time to build the photolithography masks
and start the foundry process to make cheaper ROM chips. I guess the
later units have a standard ROM chip.

Quote:>12. Further bug fixes e.g. to make the memory readout always display the RAM
>disk size as being 8MB (which it is even though the system takes up some of the
>space - please do not turn this into another 7MB v 8MB!) i.e. to fix the memory
>leaks.

This is not a bug!!! I don't want some dirty tricks played to make me
believe that I have more free RAM than I have...

Xavier Colonna de Lega              SWISS FEDERAL INSTITUTE OF
DGC-IMAC-EPFL                         TECHNOLOGY, LAUSANNE

Post by Andrew Johnso » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >> 1. Separate Jotter application, implementing the Data engine.

> >Seems pointless, you can make one yourself just using the existing
> >Database.  Apparently that's all the Series 3(c?) one is anyway.
> >Perhaps an easy way to do this would be to allow achoice between
> >different templates for new files, so you could create a new file of
> >type data using the Jotter template.

> I know and have done. It would, however, be nice to be able to access it from
> the Extras bar so that no matter what folder you are in you can find it... hence
> a separate implementation!

Assuming you only have one Jotter database and leave it always running,
you can get to it in 3 touches using the Goto function by pressing the
toolbar 'title' area.  Is that good enough?

-- Andrew
   ___

Post by Robert Wigle » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Assuming you only have one Jotter database and leave it always running, you can

get to it in 3 touches using the Goto function by pressing the toolbar 'title'
area.  Is that good enough?

I do actually *know* this, but it is not that simple. Because the file is a
database file it automatically closes if you open another (database) file,
meaning that it is hard to access it when in another directory (because it has
closed when you have opened another database - ahhh).

Before I have people saying that I should set the default opening to "Open
multiple files" when pressing <Enter> or using the pen (so that there is no need
to press <Fn>) I don't want to do this as I like all my other database files to
close when I open a new one... hence I would like to be able to access it from
the extras bar at all times (oO"Maybe I could write a bit of code to do
this"...hmmm).

Regards

Robert

Post by Pavel Zabel » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>Assuming you only have one Jotter database and leave it always running, you can
>get to it in 3 touches using the Goto function by pressing the toolbar 'title'
>I do actually *know* this, but it is not that simple. Because the file is a
>database file it automatically closes if you open another (database) file,

May be you can crete kind of 'list' or 'group' for jotter database,
then when you open normal database in other catalog Psion would not
close jotter. I use this on my Psion 3c. Did not get P5 by mailorder
yet.

Post by Ajai Khatt » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>May be you can crete kind of 'list' or 'group' for jotter database,
>then when you open normal database in other catalog Psion would not
>close jotter. I use this on my Psion 3c. Did not get P5 by mailorder
>yet.

I thought this was a preference setting - you can open multiple files
simultaneously (SHIFT ENTER?).

Regards,
--

Engineering Consultant, The MarketNet Group

ROM 1.1 availabiltiy/wish list (previously should I purchase a Series 5?)

Post by Michael Witherde » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> This is not a bug!!! I don't want some dirty tricks played to make me
> believe that I have more free RAM than I have...

Exactly - especially as some Swiss Banks are actually claiming to have
less Gold from 'German Sources' than they actually received - we wouldn't
want either them, or yourself getting confused as to the value of
something you hold would we?  {;)>

ROM 1.1 availabiltiy/wish list (previously should I purchase a Series 5?)

Post by Robert Wigle » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

You're right, I have since discovered that it was a bug in a shareware program
which was causing my memory to leak. This bug has, fortunately, since been
fixed and now my total memory consistently reads as having 8MB while my disk
info indicator tells me how much room on the disk I have - 7MB. I regard this
to be the correct situation. Previously I was losing my total memory capacity
due to the bug!

Regards

Robert
--

Law Student at the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Handheld Software - Program development for the Psion Series 5

Post by Xavier Colonna de Le » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>You're right, I have since discovered that it was a bug in a shareware program
>which was causing my memory to leak. This bug has, fortunately, since been
>fixed and now my total memory consistently reads as having 8MB while my disk
>info indicator tells me how much room on the disk I have - 7MB. I regard this
>to be the correct situation. Previously I was losing my total memory capacity
>due to the bug!

Which shareware program was it?

Post by Robert Wigle » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>You're right, I have since discovered that it was a bug in a shareware
program
>>which was causing my memory to leak. This bug has, fortunately, since been
>>fixed and now my total memory consistently reads as having 8MB while my disk
>>info indicator tells me how much room on the disk I have - 7MB. I regard
this
>>to be the correct situation. Previously I was losing my total memory
capacity
>>due to the bug!

Quote:>Which shareware program was it?

JWIN (Just What I Need) Version 1.05b which I was beta testing for Phil
Spencer. The finished (bug-free) version (1.05F) is *hopefully* due to be
released sometime next week and will replace Version 1.01F - the one that is
currently available for download from his website.

Visit <http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nicko/index.htm> and take a look at the
program. Also look out for version 1.10F, due to be released sometime after
the New Year. This version promises to be even better with quite a few new
features.

Regards

Robert
--

Law Student at the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Handheld Software - Program development for the Psion Series 5

1. Wish list for S5 ROM uprade

If psion do decide to release a bug fix S5 ROM ( and nobody knows yet if or
how they will) then are there any features anyone thinks they ought to add.

For example supposing that psion release the e-mail / web browser in
October, and do a ROM upgrade in January, then could they fit the e-mail/web
browser etc in the new ROM along with the fixes for spreadsheet etc.

Personally I'd like a low battery indicator on the user start-up screen, at
the moment the only way I know my batteries need replacing is when then the
alarms stop working. Even  a bitmap of a battery on the start-up/user
info/password screen would be nice, since I see that every day.  I would not
expect Psion to release a ROM upgrade until after Christmas, because that
would create to much confusion in the sales/stock up to Christmas. They
could release an upgrade sooner, but I'd rather they wait until they have
all the bugs ironed out, since any upgrade would probably be a one off.

With that in mind what other features would people like to see in an
upgrade, who knows if psion are reading this group and see any good (simple)
ideas they might put them in, although I don't imagine it would extend to
rewriting entire apps.

All the above is speculation, but since there is no word from Psion yet,
lets speculate :-)

David

2. Any Problems dual booting NT4 Server and SBS2000?

3. i wish, I wish, I wish....

4. dimensioning

5. Series "5a" Wish List

6. spectrum harddisk - is one available?

7. Series 5 ROM 1.1

8. Graphics functions for 486?

9. 5mx bugs/wish list updated

10. Wish List

11. Psion 5 App Wish List

12. My wish-list for the new Series3x :...any opinions ?

13. Wish List