ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Hans Nygaar » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

psiMail out of date already?

My current ISP does not offer Shell Account Access (dialing and getting
"Login:", "Password:" & "Select 3 for PPP-connection") but rather uses
automatic negotiation between host and my PC - when you dial you get a
PPP-connection and nothing else. I have called around here and can find
*very* few ISPs that offer this kind of login anymore. Most of them say
that, oh yes, we used to have that but have discontinued it x months ago
and now have automatic connections only.
As this seems to be the general trend, can it really be true that Psion
has not addressed this? I am unable to log on to my provider with
psiMail because my provider does not send "ogin:" or anything similar
but tries to establish a PPP-connection right away. Believe me, I have
tried everything possible with the script but nothing works. Am I really
the only one with this problem? Is it really neccessary for me to go
back in time and use Compuserve (witch REALLY sucks in Denmark, real
yahoos running it...)?

:o( Hans

---------http://users.*city.dk/~ccc10373/home.html-------
I haven't lost my mind, I have it backed up on tape somewhere
  Engineering: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway, it's fun!

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Inwoodhi » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

All this is fine, but is there any way to properly configure a connection for
as large an ISP as IBM Global Network (Advantis)?  I really don't want to spend
$$ on two ISP's (one for the PC, one for the PSION) and every response I see
basically says "Go figure it out yourself."
I would prefer some more specific information than "Why not try...?" as it is
becoming frustrating to get PSION Inc. to believe that it should support this
product more concernedly.  Money has been spent, promises made, and it is time
to act.

I can't connect to my provider, and it is not this should not be the case.

IH

Quote:>My Development Department tell me that there does not need to be a
>script - a simple "Open network connection" should work in this case
>because the Psion sends out an opening PPP packet.

>However, the Psion does not retry if it receives no reply. Turn packet
>logging on an produce a log. If it shows "Outgoing PPP packet" and no
>more activity then there is a problem and the ISP is not reponding to
>the Psion's opening packet.

>All the best

>Ali

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Alasdair Mans » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>As this seems to be the general trend, can it really be true that Psion
>has not addressed this? I am unable to log on to my provider with
>psiMail because my provider does not send "ogin:" or anything similar
>but tries to establish a PPP-connection right away. Believe me, I have
>tried everything possible with the script but nothing works.

My Development Department tell me that there does not need to be a
script - a simple "Open network connection" should work in this case
because the Psion sends out an opening PPP packet.

However, the Psion does not retry if it receives no reply. Turn packet
logging on an produce a log. If it shows "Outgoing PPP packet" and no
more activity then there is a problem and the ISP is not reponding to
the Psion's opening packet.

All the best

Ali

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Alasdair Mans » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>As this seems to be the general trend, can it really be true that Psion
>has not addressed this? I am unable to log on to my provider with
>psiMail because my provider does not send "ogin:" or anything similar
>but tries to establish a PPP-connection right away. Believe me, I have
>tried everything possible with the script but nothing works.

My Development Department tell me that there does not need to be a
script - a simple "Open network connection" should work in this case
because the Psion sends out an opening PPP packet.

However, the Psion does not retry if it receives no reply. Turn packet
logging on an produce a log. If it shows "Outgoing PPP packet" and no
more activity then there is a problem and the ISP is not reponding to
the Psion's opening packet.

All the best

Ali

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Alasdair Mans » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>As this seems to be the general trend, can it really be true that Psion
>has not addressed this? I am unable to log on to my provider with
>psiMail because my provider does not send "ogin:" or anything similar
>but tries to establish a PPP-connection right away. Believe me, I have
>tried everything possible with the script but nothing works.

Our development department tell me that PsiMail Internet should work
fine with a stateless connection. There does not need to be a script
other than a simple "Open network connection" which should work in
this case (because the Psion sends out an opening PPP packet).

However, the Psion does not retry if it receives no reply. Turn packet
logging on an produce a log. If it shows "Outgoing PPP packet" and no
more activity then there is a problem and the ISP is not reponding to
the Psion's opening packet.

All the best

Ali

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Alasdair Mans » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>All this is fine, but is there any way to properly configure a connection for
>as large an ISP as IBM Global Network (Advantis)?

I'm sure there will be - would you care to mail me with *specific*
details of the problems you are having and I'll be happy to look into

Quote:>I really don't want to spend $$ on two ISP's (one for the PC, one for the PSION)

And why should you ?

Quote:>and every response I see basically says "Go figure it out yourself."

I don't recall saying that to anybody and, with all due respect, I
don't think that that is the kind of thing I would say online.

Quote:>I would prefer some more specific information than "Why not try...?" as it is
>becoming frustrating to get PSION Inc. to believe that it should support this
>product more concernedly.

Who at Psion Inc. have you been speaking with ?

Quote:>I can't connect to my provider, and it is not this should not be the case.

I agree

Bye

Ali

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Steve Litchfiel » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Modify your script to be something like

Dial the number
Wait for 'ONNECT'
Open network connection

and it should work. [fingers crossed....!]

Steve Litchfield

Post by Tony Glob » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Modify your script to be something like

> Dial the number
> Wait for 'ONNECT'
> Open network connection

> and it should work. [fingers crossed....!]

Steve,

I've got it working with this method to connect to BT Internet.  It's
basically the same thing I had to do to connect to my ISP from a PC with
Trumpet Winsock instead of the dialler BT Internet provided.

Frustrating thing for some of the non-techs out there is that if you
call Psion's helpline, there's not a lot of help forthcoming unless you
already know what the problem is.

I asked how to set PsiMail Internet up to cope with CHAP - first
response was "Can't be done, only supports SLIP/PPP".  "Methinks you
don't understand what I'm asking" says I.  "I'll go and ask someone
else" says he.

Sure enough, he came back to me with some more info.  "It was developed
to work with CHAP, but we haven't managed to get it to work yet.  This
is what you do".

So I tried it and it worked and the rest, as they say, is history.

But what would someone do if they didn't know what to ask in the first
place?

--

Regards

Tony Globe

Post by Hans Nygaar » Fri, 11 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Modify your script to be something like

> Dial the number
> Wait for 'ONNECT'
> Open network connection

> and it should work. [fingers crossed....!]

> Steve Litchfield

Excellent, I'll give it a try. But shouldn't I be able to pick up the
"ONNECT" string if I dial my provider with a terminal program (Comms,
Ntfc, Win95 Hyperterminal, ProComm)? All I get there is a mess af ascii,
no matter what emulation I set...
Anyway, reports of success or more frustration later!

Hans

---------http://users.*city.dk/~ccc10373/home.html-------
I haven't lost my mind, I have it backed up on tape somewhere
  Engineering: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway, it's fun!

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by Steve Litchfiel » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Yes, but you'll need to make sure your modem settings include the switch
to turn result codes on. It's the modem that sends your Psion the
"CONNECT 14400/V42" or whatever string....

Steve Litchfield
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/

ISP's that don't offer shell access (PsiMail Internet scripts)

Post by bfurl.. » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I think you will find that IBM uses SLIP access and not PPP.

Quote:>All this is fine, but is there any way to properly configure a connection for
>as large an ISP as IBM Global Network (Advantis)?  I really don't want to spend
>$$ on two ISP's (one for the PC, one for the PSION) and every response I see
>basically says "Go figure it out yourself."
>I would prefer some more specific information than "Why not try...?" as it is
>becoming frustrating to get PSION Inc. to believe that it should support this
>product more concernedly.  Money has been spent, promises made, and it is time
>to act.

>I can't connect to my provider, and it is not this should not be the case.

>IH

>>My Development Department tell me that there does not need to be a
>>script - a simple "Open network connection" should work in this case
>>because the Psion sends out an opening PPP packet.

>>However, the Psion does not retry if it receives no reply. Turn packet
>>logging on an produce a log. If it shows "Outgoing PPP packet" and no
>>more activity then there is a problem and the ISP is not reponding to
>>the Psion's opening packet.

>>All the best

>>Ali

Brian Furlong
Bogota, Colombia

Post by Ross Baldwi » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

--=+*_=+*_=+*_71205347489=+*_=+*_=+*_

> ... shouldn't I be able to pick up the  "ONNECT" string ...

Yes, but the CONNECT comes from your modem once it's talking properly
to the modem at the other end, and is nothing to do with your provider's
protocols.  If you don't see this, I think there's something wrong with your modem
setup!  Maybe try an AT&F or ATZ to reset your modem. If you can see the
OK echoed by the modem, you ought to be able to get the CONNECT ...

Contrary to an earlier post of mine (in c.s.p.c.), I /have/ managed to get PMI
to connect to my provider (Direct Connection, who support both PAP and
scripted logins) using PAP - BUT I only got it to work by sending a return
(Send "" with carriage return) after the wait for CONNECT and before the
Open Connection to get the PAP to fire up - something to do with "passive
PAP" I think. Also, it was very unreliable, often failing to connect (the problem's
not with my provider, because PAP logins work fine with Win95, Trumpet etc)
so I've returned to a scripted login which is more or less 100% Ok.
Perhaps PAP/CHAP are a bit too demanding for the humble Psion ?

Quote:> ... Wouldn't you have to have a "Get IP-address" in the script if you used
> dynamic IP?

you shouldn't need a Get IP address in a script for PAP,
I think this is handled within PAP like the username and password
(from the static/dynamic option in Setup ?)  At least, I managed without
one and I use a dynamic IP address !

Keep trying and good luck, Cheerio - Ross 8^)

Ross Baldwin, Senior Developer
Chase Computer Services Ltd.,
83-85 Mansell St.,
LONDON E1 8AN
Tel:   +44 (0)171 459 3842 (direct)
Fax:   +44 (0)171 459 3801

--=+*_=+*_=+*_71205347489=+*_=+*_=+*_--

Post by Tony Glob » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > ... Wouldn't you have to have a "Get IP-address" in the script if you used
> > dynamic IP?

> you shouldn't need a Get IP address in a script for PAP,
> I think this is handled within PAP like the username and password
> (from the static/dynamic option in Setup ?)  At least, I managed without
> one and I use a dynamic IP address !

Agree with that - I just set the dialogue to dynamic, and didn't need to
put a "get IP address" in the script
--

Regards

Tony Globe

1. Question for junket enjoying academics out there who don't need an ISP.

When stuck in some  hotel faraway from home, I want to be able to plug my
Psion 5 (with a modem) into the hotel phone system, connect to my Unversity
Exchange server and download messages from the server into the email client on
the Psion 5, disconnect to save my hotel bill, read my email, compose replies,
connect again and send the messages. I am not fussed about web browsing but
being able to send the odd fax would be useful as well.

I can read and reply at the moment by using yahoo.mail and borrowing or buying
access time on an interent connected PC (POP3?) but access to this facility
doesn't always exist.

My question is do I have to use an external ISP to do the above? I don't
really want to go to the expense of paying the local Irish ISP charges when I
have a free (to me) service at work. (I'm tight fisted).

If I do go the ISP route how does it all fit together? Do I have to route all
my University Exchange server  mail into my ISP email account and then use
Messagesuite to connect to that, or will the email client in Messagesuite pull
from my University server straight away, or do I use the Messagesuite web
browser to connect to yahoo.mail (or some other freebie service) and pull
through the POP3.

I suppose I would get even more indepednce by getting a  mobile and connect
through that but that seems even more complicated and expensive.

Yours in confusion,

Dr Jeremy Robinson
Department of Materials Science and Technology
University of Limerick
Phone +353 61 202240
Fax     +353 61 338172

2. Pinout (or cable) for Sony 16" GDM-1630SG monitor wanted.(correction)

3. Best Place to Buy 5mx 'Shell'

4. Casio EM-500 vs Compaq iPAQ

5. 3a 'Shell' for apps on 5

6. excel file won't open in exporer

7. DON'T' THROW AWAY YOUR PSION 3

8. WANTED ! D64/T64 FILES OF..... PLEASE HELP!!!

9. Don't panic I've sussed it

10. Microsoft to offer free microbrowser as 'stop Symbian' campaign

11. DON'T' THROW AWAY YOUR PSION 3