Can I connect a S5 and a Nokia 2110 and connect to my ISP?

Can I connect a S5 and a Nokia 2110 and connect to my ISP?

Post by David Spoone » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Well now that I can connect to the internet via a PC, I can start writing
TCP/IP apps for the S5.

But if possible I would also like to run these apps using my mobile phone. I
know I could buy a new phone but I would PREFER to buy something to plug
between them, ( travel modem ? PCMCIA modem ) and do it that way.

Is this possible? What do I need? Where do I get it?

I'm in London,UK.and my phone is a Nokia 2110 on a Celnet tariff.

I hope someone can suggest a solution as I have NO experience of using any
sort of modem with my mobile and dont even know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance,

David Spooner

Post by John Forres » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Well now that I can connect to the internet via a PC, I can start writing
>TCP/IP apps for the S5.

>But if possible I would also like to run these apps using my mobile phone.
>know I could buy a new phone but I would PREFER to buy something to plug
>between them, ( travel modem ? PCMCIA modem ) and do it that way.

>Is this possible? What do I need? Where do I get it?

>I'm in London,UK.and my phone is a Nokia 2110 on a Celnet tariff.

You need a suitable PCMCIA card modem coupled with a modem adaptor and a
2110 adaptor kit. Psiondacom Goldcards work well and are recommended. You
cannot use a standard landline modem, such as the travel modem, as the
protocols are somewhat different - although the Goldcard would also work as
a landline modem too. Note that this will set you back a fair wack (the
modem adaptor is about 100 and the modem will be about 300) so you may
prefer to upgrade your phone to something that can talk directly to a Psion5
without additional hardware. The Ericsson SH888 is the one most commonly
quoted, but there are as many negative as positive comments on this, so
check it
out first.

John

Can I connect a S5 and a Nokia 2110 and connect to my ISP?

Post by R.O.J. Brunstin » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Dear David,

<< But if possible I would also like to run these apps using my mobile
phone ... I'm in London,UK.and my phone is a Nokia 2110 on a Celnet tariff

     You'll need the Psion PC-Card Adapter plus a PC-Card that supports the
Nokia 2110. A safe choice is the PSion Dacom Gold Card Global with Nokia
2110 GSM upgrade but a Nokia DTP-2 card also works well.

--
Kind Regards,
Rolf Brunsting - Delft - Netherlands

Can I connect a S5 and a Nokia 2110 and connect to my ISP?

Post by David Spoone » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>You need a suitable PCMCIA card modem coupled with a modem adaptor and a
>2110 adaptor kit. Psiondacom Goldcards work well and are recommended. You
>cannot use a standard landline modem, such as the travel modem, as the
>protocols are somewhat different - although the Goldcard would also work as
>a landline modem too. Note that this will set you back a fair wack (the
>modem adaptor is about 100 and the modem will be about 300) so you may
>prefer to upgrade your phone to something that can talk directly to a
Psion5
>without additional hardware. The Ericsson SH888 is the one most commonly
>quoted, but there are as many negative as positive comments on this, so
>check it
>out first.

Thanks