Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by hip.. » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

The Oxford English Dictionary can be downloaded from:

http://www.hipnip.clara.net/home/eurodat.htm

It is a 5 megabyte download and has 250,00 defs and 60,000 entries!!!
It is for TomeRaider which you can get from www.tomeraider.co.uk

And it is free!!!

Can anyone hoast files for me???

Thanks

HN

Post by metapho.. » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> The Oxford English Dictionary can be downloaded from:

> http://www.hipnip.clara.net/home/eurodat.htm

I downloaded this thing and it is an extremely pared down OED, if it is
he OED at all.

Also, I'm certain the OED is copyrighted.  Wht source is this one
derived from, eh?

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by hip.. » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hiya!

What do you mean it cut down??/ Its the full version of the compact
edition, it got 63,000 Definitions!!!! And under them hundres of
thousands more???

I know there is a big one of the OED with EVERY word in the english
language, but this isnt It. I have that CD and the data is over 600
megs!!! But this OED is the next one down. Its still amazing, you try
find a word that isnt in there of the top of you head :)

HN

>> Hello,

>> The Oxford English Dictionary can be downloaded from:

>> http://www.hipnip.clara.net/home/eurodat.htm

>I downloaded this thing and it is an extremely pared down OED, if it is
>he OED at all.

>Also, I'm certain the OED is copyrighted.  Wht source is this one
>derived from, eh?

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by Mike Willett LADS LDN X75 » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hiya!

>Its still amazing, you try find a word that isnt in
>there of the top of you head :)

How about
ai
dzo
qanat

M Willett

P.S. I play scrabble

Post by Catm » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>OK OK you did get me on one,

>It has 2 out of three:

>dzo is a hybrid of a cow and a yack and it is tibetan

>ai is a three-toed sloth of south america, of the genus Bradypus

>Thats pretty impressive isnt it?????  What is a qanat????

IIRC a type of c*

Now, where's that next scrabble match ?:)
Catman
Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by hip.. » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

OK OK you did get me on one,

It has 2 out of three:

dzo is a hybrid of a cow and a yack and it is tibetan

ai is a three-toed sloth of south america, of the genus Bradypus

Thats pretty impressive isnt it?????  What is a qanat????

HN

>>Hiya!

>>Its still amazing, you try find a word that isnt in
>>there of the top of you head :)

>How about
>ai
>dzo
>qanat

>M Willett

>P.S. I play scrabble

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by Mike Willett LADS LDN X75 » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>OK OK you did get me on one,

>It has 2 out of three:

>dzo is a hybrid of a cow and a yack and it is tibetan

>ai is a three-toed sloth of south america, of the genus Bradypus

>Thats pretty impressive isnt it?????  What is a qanat????

Not bad indeed! Qanat - c*of sometype.

You could also check zo (variant spelling of dzo)
and qadi or is it qadir ?

Mike

Post by David Friedm » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >OK OK you did get me on one,

> >It has 2 out of three:

> >dzo is a hybrid of a cow and a yack and it is tibetan

> >ai is a three-toed sloth of south america, of the genus Bradypus

> >Thats pretty impressive isnt it?????  What is a qanat????

> Not bad indeed! Qanat - c*of sometype.

> You could also check zo (variant spelling of dzo)
> and qadi or is it qadir ?

My guess is that qadi (if you mean an Islamic judge) wouldn't be in the
big OED, since it is an Arabic word, and the OED generally doesn't include
foreign words, even if they are occasionally used by English speakers.

--
David Friedman
www.best.com/~ddfr/

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by David H Wil » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What do you mean it cut down??/ Its the full version of the compact
> edition, it got 63,000 Definitions!!!! And under them hundres of
> thousands more???

I think that you mean the Concise OED, as the Compact is a photo-reduction
of the full version.

Quote:> I know there is a big one of the OED with EVERY word in the english
> language, but this isnt It. I have that CD and the data is over 600
> megs!!! But this OED is the next one down. Its still amazing, you try
> find a word that isnt in there of the top of you head :)

The Concise OED is **not** the next one down from the full version; there
is the Shorter OED, at least, between them.

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC

Post by Mike Willett LADS LDN X75 » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> >OK OK you did get me on one,

>> >It has 2 out of three:

>> >dzo is a hybrid of a cow and a yack and it is tibetan

>> >ai is a three-toed sloth of south america, of the genus Bradypus

>> >Thats pretty impressive isnt it?????  What is a qanat????

>> Not bad indeed! Qanat - c*of sometype.

>> You could also check zo (variant spelling of dzo)
>> and qadi or is it qadir ?

>My guess is that qadi (if you mean an Islamic judge) wouldn't be in the
>big OED, since it is an Arabic word, and the OED generally doesn't include
>foreign words, even if they are occasionally used by English speakers.

Maybe thats why I use Chambers when I play Scrabble.
Tzar isn't an English word either but is worth 13 points in Scrabble ;-)

Mike

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by Marc Corneliu » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>My guess is that qadi (if you mean an Islamic judge) wouldn't be in the
>big OED, since it is an Arabic word, and the OED generally doesn't include
>foreign words, even if they are occasionally used by English speakers.

[snip]

Qadi (also spelt cadi and kadi) /is/ in the SOED and therefore is bound
to be in the OED.

There are a large number of foreign words in the OED.

--
Marc Cornelius

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by Nasif Iskande » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

How about "particle"?  That is the first word I happened to try, and it
didn't seem to be in the index.  (It was used in several definitions,
however!)

Nasif

> Hiya!

> What do you mean it cut down??/ Its the full version of the compact
> edition, it got 63,000 Definitions!!!! And under them hundres of
> thousands more???

> I know there is a big one of the OED with EVERY word in the english
> language, but this isnt It. I have that CD and the data is over 600
> megs!!! But this OED is the next one down. Its still amazing, you try
> find a word that isnt in there of the top of you head :)

> HN

> >> Hello,

> >> The Oxford English Dictionary can be downloaded from:

> >> http://www.hipnip.clara.net/home/eurodat.htm

> >I downloaded this thing and it is an extremely pared down OED, if it is
> >he OED at all.

> >Also, I'm certain the OED is copyrighted.  Wht source is this one
> >derived from, eh?

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by n k p at bigfoot dot co » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Yep, it's there. Just before: alpha particle, beta particle, elementary
particle, fundamental particle, nobiliary particle.

Nils

> How about "particle"?  That is the first word I happened to try, and it
> didn't seem to be in the index.  (It was used in several definitions,
> however!)

> Nasif

> > Hiya!

> > What do you mean it cut down??/ Its the full version of the compact
> > edition, it got 63,000 Definitions!!!! And under them hundres of
> > thousands more???

> > I know there is a big one of the OED with EVERY word in the english
> > language, but this isnt It. I have that CD and the data is over 600
> > megs!!! But this OED is the next one down. Its still amazing, you try
> > find a word that isnt in there of the top of you head :)

> > HN

> > >I downloaded this thing and it is an extremely pared down OED, if it is
> > >he OED at all.

> > >Also, I'm certain the OED is copyrighted.  Wht source is this one
> > >derived from, eh?

Oxford English Dictionary for EPOC

Post by Nasif Iskande » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Ooops!

I tried it again, and there were numerous index entries containing the word
"particle".  When I loaded the file the first time, I randomly chose that word
to search for, and it couldn't find relevant index entries.  I don't know
why...

Sorry about the confusing post.

Nasif

Post by Christopher Bruc » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hiya!

> The Oxford English Dictionary can be downloaded from:

> http://www.hipnip.clara.net/home/eurodat.htm

> It is a 5 megabyte download and has 250,00 defs and 60,000 entries!!!
> It is for TomeRaider which you can get from www.tomeraider.co.uk

> And it is free!!!

> Can anyone hoast files for me???
<snip>
> What do you mean it cut down??/ Its the full version of the compact
> edition, it got 63,000 Definitions!!!! And under them hundres of
> thousands more???

> I know there is a big one of the OED with EVERY word in the english
> language, but this isnt It. I have that CD and the data is over 600
> megs!!! But this OED is the next one down. Its still amazing, you try
> find a word that isnt in there of the top of you head :)

"Hoast"!

Can't find that one :-)

Chris

--