Compact Flash: re-install software?

Post by Mo » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 22:17:43

Hi,

I just bought a CF card as my S5 memory was full. To gain max. performance I
need to move my installed programs to the CF card. My question is: can I
just MOVE them to the D-drive or do I need to uninstall from the C-drive and
then re-install in the D-drive?

I've heard that when I install programs directly to the D-drive, the program
will show up in the Extra's bar. Will this be the case when I move the
program to the D-drive?

Will PsiWin recognise the D-drive and prompt me for the destination drive
when I double-click a SIS-file on the PC, or do I need to copy the SIS-file
to the D-Drive on the S5 and install it from that location?

I couldn't find the answers in the manual, nor the S5 FAQ. Is there a site
with more info?

Thanx!

Compact Flash: re-install software?

Post by Flibbl » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 23:08:25

Quote:> Hi,

> I just bought a CF card as my S5 memory was full. To gain max. performance
> need to move my installed programs to the CF card. My question is: can I
> just MOVE them to the D-drive or do I need to uninstall from the C-drive
and
> then re-install in the D-drive?

You can move the APP, AIF, HLP, MBM and other program files to
the D Drive, but the INI file and (probably, depending on the program)
any data files the program creates need to be on the C drive.
Also, if you move the programs manually, then later try to remove them
using Control Panel's Add/Remove, the remove might fail as it won't
be able to find them in their original locations. If this doesn't bother
you, then feel free to move by copy & paste. I do it frequently with
no ill effects.

Quote:> I've heard that when I install programs directly to the D-drive, the
program
> will show up in the Extra's bar. Will this be the case when I move the
> program to the D-drive?

If they are on your Extras Bar now, they will be when they are moved
to the D drive. Any programs you install to either drive will show on
the Extras Bar.

Quote:> Will PsiWin recognise the D-drive and prompt me for the destination drive
> when I double-click a SIS-file on the PC, or do I need to copy the
SIS-file
> to the D-Drive on the S5 and install it from that location?

PsiWin will give you the option...but IMHO you should try to install
by copying the SIS file to your Psion and running it from there.
You can copy it to the root (C:\) and when run (double-tap) it will
ask you whether you want to install to C or D.

HTH,

Flib

Compact Flash: re-install software?

Post by Mo » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:41:41

<....>

Thanx!

1. Can't un-install to re-install Psiwin 2.3.2

I decided to re-install my copy of PsiWin 2.3.2 as there were some
issues - however the
un-install didn't complete sucessfully.. (Windows 2000)

Now I'm left with a partial install that won't uninstall and won't
install.

Any else had this - and any ideas?
Help!

2. router to 3000 vpn question

3. Installing apps on a Compact Flash - and moving to another machine

4. Microsoft Office 97 costs US$45 ? Shopping Paradise

5. Wavefinder uninstall/re-install XP Problems

6. HARDWARE SALE (HD & MORE)

7. Re Compact flash & software version

8. Problem with Compact Flash Card

9. Formatting Compact Flash cards

10. Compact flash

11. Hard Format program for Compact Flash

12. compact flash