MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Dave Westlan » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00



I've installed the MacSys macro program on my S3c. One of the example
macros I've installed turns on the Psion-PC link using a certain key
combination without having to go back to the system screen and use the
main menu (Psion-L).

I know that MacSys, and probably the examples too, were originally
written for the S3a. The problem I have is that when I execute the macro
it looks like it's turned the link on, but hasn't really: PsiWin sits
there with an "establish conenction to Psion" message for a long time
then fails saying that I should check the link settings. When I do check
the link settings, using Psion-L from the system screen, all seems well,
(speed is correct, etc.). If I turn off the link then turn it on
properly from the system screen (not using the macro) then it all works
fine.

The macro simply consist of the following:

PROC macro :
if LinkOff :
  LinkOn :
endif
ENDP

Anyone know what I may have to do to get this macro working on my S3c?

 
 
 

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Neil McMulle » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Would suggest that you visit Steve Litchfields 3-Lib site and download The
program written by John Boyce JBStopGo This is far more beneficial than
MACSYS as it both closes any open progs (Which may be the source of your
problem) THEN REOPENS THEM FOR YOU - the bit I used to forget:-)
MACSYS2 has a few ready made macros to acomplish what you want, look in
3-Lib "VAULT" section for MacroR2R

Quote:>I've installed the MacSys macro program on my S3c. One of the example
>macros I've installed turns on the Psion-PC link using a certain key
>combination without having to go back to the system screen and use the
>main menu (Psion-L).

>I know that MacSys, and probably the examples too, were originally
>written for the S3a. The problem I have is that when I execute the macro
>it looks like it's turned the link on, but hasn't really: PsiWin sits
>there with an "establish conenction to Psion" message for a long time
>then fails saying that I should check the link settings. When I do check
>the link settings, using Psion-L from the system screen, all seems well,
>(speed is correct, etc.). If I turn off the link then turn it on
>properly from the system screen (not using the macro) then it all works
>fine.

>The macro simply consist of the following:

>PROC macro :
>if LinkOff :
>  LinkOn :
>endif
>ENDP

>Anyone know what I may have to do to get this macro working on my S3c?


 
 
 

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Austin Mitchel » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00



>I've installed the MacSys macro program on my S3c. One of the example
>macros I've installed turns on the Psion-PC link using a certain key
>combination without having to go back to the system screen and use the
>main menu (Psion-L).

>I know that MacSys, and probably the examples too, were originally
>written for the S3a. The problem I have is that when I execute the macro
>it looks like it's turned the link on, but hasn't really: PsiWin sits
>there with an "establish conenction to Psion" message for a long time
>then fails saying that I should check the link settings. When I do check
>the link settings, using Psion-L from the system screen, all seems well,
>(speed is correct, etc.). If I turn off the link then turn it on
>properly from the system screen (not using the macro) then it all works
>fine.

>The macro simply consist of the following:

>PROC macro :
>if LinkOff :
>  LinkOn :
>endif
>ENDP

>Anyone know what I may have to do to get this macro working on my S3c?

Hi,

I've written a macro to do this (on the 3c and it also works on the 3mx);
press the button to turn the link on if off and turn it off if on!

PROC macro:
    UseApp:("active")
    if LinkOff:
        LinkOn:
        GiPrint:("Link ON")
    else
        LinkOff:
        GiPrint:("Link OFF")
    endif
ENDP

Austin.

 
 
 

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Oliver Garc » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00


On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:57:02 +0000, Dave Westland


>I've installed the MacSys macro program on my S3c. One of the example
>macros I've installed turns on the Psion-PC link using a certain key
>combination without having to go back to the system screen and use the
>main menu (Psion-L).

>I know that MacSys, and probably the examples too, were originally
>written for the S3a. The problem I have is that when I execute the macro
>it looks like it's turned the link on, but hasn't really: PsiWin sits
>there with an "establish conenction to Psion" message for a long time
>then fails saying that I should check the link settings. When I do check
>the link settings, using Psion-L from the system screen, all seems well,
>(speed is correct, etc.). If I turn off the link then turn it on
>properly from the system screen (not using the macro) then it all works
>fine.

The LinkOn: function launches link with 19200 Baud. It's hard-coded.

There are about three choices you have for the Series 3c:

1) switch PsiWins communication rate down to 19200.  :-(

2) open Macro.opa in a Hex editor, search for 19200 and overwrite it
with 57600. :-/

3) Download my link macro from
http://rummelplatz.uni-mannheim.de/ucgi/jura/garcia/macsys/index.html...
and use it instead of "Link".  :-)
It uses 57600 Baud (or 115200 Baud for S3mx users who actually achieve
this speed - I don't...).

You could replace "Rechnerkopplung aus/an" with "Link off/on"

Cheers,

Oliver

 
 
 

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Dave Westlan » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Thanks for the suggestion Oliver. I tried that macro and I get an error
box from "Link" saying "invalid argument" when running the macro to turn
the link on.

So I loaded macro.opa in to a HEX editor and changed the baud rate from
19200 to 57600, and got the same error when I ran the normal link macro,
("Link" says "invalid argument").

Any more suggestions before I give up  :-(

Regards,
        -DaveW


> The LinkOn: function launches link with 19200 Baud. It's hard-coded.

> There are about three choices you have for the Series 3c:

> 1) switch PsiWins communication rate down to 19200.  :-(

> 2) open Macro.opa in a Hex editor, search for 19200 and overwrite it
> with 57600. :-/

> 3) Download my link macro from
> http://rummelplatz.uni-mannheim.de/ucgi/jura/garcia/macsys/index.html...
> and use it instead of "Link".  :-)
> It uses 57600 Baud (or 115200 Baud for S3mx users who actually achieve
> this speed - I don't...).

> You could replace "Rechnerkopplung aus/an" with "Link off/on"

> Cheers,

> Oliver

 
 
 

MacSys macro to turn link on - help anyone please?

Post by Oliver Garc » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00


On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:28:23 +0000, Dave Westland


>Thanks for the suggestion Oliver. I tried that macro and I get an error
>box from "Link" saying "invalid argument" when running the macro to turn
>the link on.

>So I loaded macro.opa in to a HEX editor and changed the baud rate from
>19200 to 57600, and got the same error when I ran the normal link macro,
>("Link" says "invalid argument").

>Any more suggestions before I give up  :-(

This is strange. "Invalid argument" would mean that the 3c doesn't
support that exact baud rate. But it does, doesn't it? Confirm it with
the selections available in the system screen's link dialog.
With my Series 3mx I have no problem launching link.img with 57600 (or
115200) with the macro. If I take a random number like 67600, however,
I get the same error message as you describe. So it seems that the 3c
has a specific problem with 57600.

Or, even more strangely, it is incompatible with both the 3a and 3mx
in the way of launching the link.img program.

Maybe a 3c user who has more programming experience can shed some
light on this?

I, too, am very interested to know what the problem is.

Regards,

Oliver

 
 
 

1. S5 current consumption: turned off, but serial link turned on

According to the s5tips database maintained by Gareth Brandwood and
Richard Poole, the S5 has the following power consumption:

Activity                        mA
~~~~~~~~                        ~~
Turned off                      0.95
Idle                            43--44
Idle incl. backlight                    133--142
While writing to CF cards       64--76 (Viking)
                                76--89 (SanDisk)
Serial link (idle)              65--66
Serial link (Transfer)          96--110

etc. ...

To this table, I'd like to add an entry.  With indirect measurements
using batteries whose capacity and self-discharge current I know
precisely, I have calculated that leaving the serial link switched on
increases the turned-off current by approx. 0.4 mA.

I'm pretty confident that my measurement is not too far off, but
anyway: can somebody confirm it?

If yes, the new line to the table would be:

Activity                        mA
~~~~~~~~                        ~~
Turned Off                      0.95
Turned Off with Serial link
   switched on                  1.35

[ I also send this message to Gareth and Richard lest they don't notice
  it on comp.sys.psion.misc.]

Cheerio, Hanspeter
--
Hanspeter Schmid                         See first, think later, then test.
Analog IC Designer (Research)          But always see first.  Otherwise you
Signal Processing Laboratory, ETHZ.  will only see what you were expecting.
http://www.isi.ee.ethz.ch/~schmid/  Most scientists forget that.  (D.Adams)

2. help recieving files

3. MACSYS macro (for Oliver Garcia)

4. sms server requirements

5. Macsys: collection of macros?

6. OS/2 and SQLBase/SQLWindows

7. Macsys macros collection

8. Pac*Bell Information Superbunk

9. ExAb Abbreviation Extender Macro for MacSys

10. MacSys Date Macro

11. Macsys Macros - is there a web page anywhere?

12. Macsys macros collection

13. REVO won't turn on. Please help!