Wavefinder lock-ups - One solution

Wavefinder lock-ups - One solution

Post by flad » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:17:50



After installation my wavefinder was locking up about every 10-30
minutes. Symptoms were that the sound got stuck in a repeated loop and
the wavefinder LEDs went out. Other times the computer just froze and
required a reboot.

Wavefinder was connected using a PCI card with the OPTi 82C861 PCI to
USB controller. Motherboard (PC Chips M577) has on-board USB using the
Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB controller. Had to have the onboard USB
enabled to get my STB Velocity 4400 graphics card working under win98
! (that's another story).

I upgraded the Wavefinder software to 1.4. Also tried powering
wavefinder using a stabilised 12VDC Uniross supply. Wavefinder still
crashed frequently.

I found that disabling the Via Tech 3038 USB controller in my hardware
profile fixed the problem. Wavefinder seems to work OK now, subject to
the usual reception issues.

I suggest that there is a firmware bug in either the wavefinder USB
software, or the wavefinder USB drivers for win98. Certain types of
USB errors appear to cause the wavefinder to 'hang'. I suspect that my
'fix' removed the errors, but that the real root cause of this issue
(in the wavefinder firmware?) is still present. No USB errors should
cause the wavefinder to 'lock-up' forever IMHO.

Ralph

 
 
 

Wavefinder lock-ups - One solution

Post by Stuar » Wed, 22 May 2002 22:50:44



Quote:> After installation my wavefinder was locking up about every 10-30
> minutes. Symptoms were that the sound got stuck in a repeated loop and
> the wavefinder LEDs went out. Other times the computer just froze and
> required a reboot.

> I found that disabling the Via Tech 3038 USB controller in my hardware
> profile fixed the problem. Wavefinder seems to work OK now, subject to
> the usual reception issues.

Did it. Still went into loop.
There is something about Psion design (soft or hard) that looks good on the
outside, but...

Stuart

 
 
 

Wavefinder lock-ups - One solution

Post by flad » Sun, 26 May 2002 18:35:28



> Did it. Still went into loop.
> There is something about Psion design (soft or hard) that looks good on the
> outside, but...

> Stuart

Interestingly my Wavefinder still locks up from time to time, despite
the disabling of the VIA controller in the win98 devices manager, and
also disabling the associated VIA USB root hub(s?).

Once the Wavefinder gets into the state where it locks-up (usually
gets stuck in an endless loop), I find that next time I start the
computer the wavefinder will again lock up. Need to delete the
Wavefinder driver in the win98 device manager, and let win98 'find'
the device again on the next reboot. Then the wavefinder will work OK
for several reboots.

I'm unsure at present exactly what causes the wavefinder to go into
the state where it locks up after 10-30 minutes. However removing the
wavefinder driver and letting win98 perform a automatic power-on
reinstall seems to provide a temporary 'fix'.

Sometimes I've noted two copies of the wavefinder driver loaded when
I've booted win98 into safe mode. Not sure why this happens (changing
the USB port used by the wavefinder???). Not sure if this is relevent
to the looping...

My second Wavefinder is installed at work on a Compaq PC and works
fine. No looping, or lock-ups...

I still suspect that the Psion USB drivers in the PC and/or in the
wavfinder cannot cope very well with USB errors. If there are no USB
errors then everything works well.

Ralph

 
 
 

1. Outlook98 Syncing with Psion 5: one of the solutions

Hi Psion 5 users,

It seems that I have found at least one solution to the Outlook98/Psion5
syncing problem. Triggered by the document floating around on the web,
explaining basically how to refresh the Outlook 98 database in order to get
the syncing working, I hit on two of the fundamental problems I guess.

When I tried a similar procedure: copy my entire calendar 'online' in
Outlook98 into a second folder, clean out the original calendar and then
import all records from the copy, it failed again.

BUT!!! I have found the cause for all the troubles I think (at least I got
it working now!) Here is my story.

At first my Psion did not even start uploading Outlook data: it stopped with
a error message: "Errors occured during synchronisation. Something may be
wrong'. No further hints or logs : just a nogo.

When working on this I found out that in my Outlook data base, there were a
number of appointments with conflicts. You can spot these by changing the
Outlook view to 'by Categories', using the ''Organize" button. Appointments
with conflicts show up with "crossed swords" in front of the appointment.
Deleting these appointments, or correcting them was part 1 of the solution.

When you correct these appointments, Outlook98, Psion 5 and PsiWin2.2 do
their job (I guess it's equally valid for the 2.1 Outlook patch)

Unfortunatley, there was another "incompatibility" in my Outlook98 database.
I had an appointment in there which spanned 2 lines (so with a carriage
return in the text). This seemed to be too much for PsiWin2.2. When I
removed the carriage return, EVERYTHING WENT FINE!!.

BR

Lucien van Os

2. Formatting Floppies / WIN95

3. Psion REVO solutions (2) : The CF solution is here !!!:

4. 2 accounts

5. Psion send email solution and web browsing solution

6. CALL FOR PAPERS

7. Psion REVO solutions (1b) : The OPL editor solution is confirmed !!!:

8. Swap 9.1 GB Quantum

9. Back ups on S5MX

10. IR Port Hang ups

11. GPS Link-ups: Help Please

12. HP ups the ante

13. back-ups/passwords