External Modem

Post by jwilh.. » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone been able to use an external modem other than the US
Robotics 56K with the psion null modem adapter and cable? I have
tried unsuccessfully with the US Robotics 28kbs external modem
sportser model and found that there is no communication. It works
fine on the 56K model I use. Is there a special initiation string
that is necessary??   Thanks in advance.

External Modem

Post by Duncan MacCallu » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone been able to use an external modem other than the US
> Robotics 56K with the psion null modem adapter and cable? I have
> tried unsuccessfully with the US Robotics 28kbs external modem
> sportser model and found that there is no communication. It works
> fine on the 56K model I use. Is there a special initiation string
> that is necessary??   Thanks in advance.

Hoping to use similiar setup but with Mulitech 28.8 zdx so again
same questions apply.

Cheers
--
Duncan MacCallum

External Modem

Post by Mike McConnel » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Has anyone been able to use an external modem other than the US
> Robotics 56K with the psion null modem adapter and cable? I have
> tried unsuccessfully with the US Robotics 28kbs external modem
> sportser model and found that there is no communication. It works
> fine on the 56K model I use. Is there a special initiation string
> that is necessary??   Thanks in advance.

Yes. Prior to getting the new IR Travel Modem, I used a Hayes 28.8 modem as
well as a USR 56k V90 modem. As far as I recall, the settings I use for the
USR modem are the defaults for the US Robotics Sportster and on my 5mx these
are:

US Robotics Sportster
115200 baud
Connect - Serial
Fax class - Auto
----------------------------
Never
Medium
4 secs
----------------------------
Init (reset) string - AT&F1
Data string -AT
Fax string - AT&D2
----------------------------
Flow - Hardware (RTS/CTS)
Terminal (DSR/DTR) [X] checked
Carrier (DCD) [ ] not checked
Modem type - Fixed Line
----------------------------

Strangely, I have different initialisation strings in my S5 (again I don't
believe I changed these from the defaults).

----------------------------
Init (reset) string - ATZ
Data string -AT&F1
Fax string - (blank)

--
      Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
  _____________________________

  _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Andrew Endea » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have just bought a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem
I have tried the generic settings and the sportster settings.
The 5mx picks up the modem ( I hear the speaker come on ) there is a short
pause and I get I message saying no dial tone detected. it works fine with
the PC.

Any ideas

--
Regards
Andrew Endean

> > Has anyone been able to use an external modem other than the US
> > Robotics 56K with the psion null modem adapter and cable? I have
> > tried unsuccessfully with the US Robotics 28kbs external modem
> > sportser model and found that there is no communication. It works
> > fine on the 56K model I use. Is there a special initiation string
> > that is necessary??   Thanks in advance.

> Yes. Prior to getting the new IR Travel Modem, I used a Hayes 28.8 modem
as
> well as a USR 56k V90 modem. As far as I recall, the settings I use for
the
> USR modem are the defaults for the US Robotics Sportster and on my 5mx
these
> are:

> US Robotics Sportster
> 115200 baud
> Connect - Serial
> Fax class - Auto
> ----------------------------
> Never
> Medium
> 4 secs
> ----------------------------
> Init (reset) string - AT&F1
> Data string -AT
> Fax string - AT&D2
> ----------------------------
> Flow - Hardware (RTS/CTS)
> Terminal (DSR/DTR) [X] checked
> Carrier (DCD) [ ] not checked
> Modem type - Fixed Line
> ----------------------------

> Strangely, I have different initialisation strings in my S5 (again I don't
> believe I changed these from the defaults).

> ----------------------------
> Init (reset) string - ATZ
> Data string -AT&F1
> Fax string - (blank)

> --
>       Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
>   _____________________________

>   _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Mike McConne » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:01:05

>I have just bought a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem
>I have tried the generic settings and the sportster settings.
>The 5mx picks up the modem ( I hear the speaker come on ) there is a short
>pause and I get I message saying no dial tone detected. it works fine with
>the PC.

>Any ideas

Have you included a *suitable* null modem adaptor between the PsiWin
serial cable and the modem?

Have a look at my file http://www.mikemcc.net/Modem.txt

--
    Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
  _____________________________

        Using RMRNews 1.02F
  _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Ung Ruey Loo » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:32:17

Quote:> Have a look at my file http://www.mikemcc.net/Modem.txt

Or here too :)

http://www.portal-pda.com/guides/nullmodem/nullmodem.html

rueyloon

External Modem

Post by Andrew Endea » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 16:44:56

I have a null modem adaptor from widget that work with my old 33.6 trust
modem
I will try your link. I did try your web page first but my link was out of
date

--
Regards
Andrew Endean

> >I have just bought a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem
> >I have tried the generic settings and the sportster settings.
> >The 5mx picks up the modem ( I hear the speaker come on ) there is a
short
> >pause and I get I message saying no dial tone detected. it works fine
with
> >the PC.

> >Any ideas

> Have you included a *suitable* null modem adaptor between the PsiWin
> serial cable and the modem?

> Have a look at my file http://www.mikemcc.net/Modem.txt

> --
>     Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
>   _____________________________

>         Using RMRNews 1.02F
>   _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Mike McConne » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

>I have a null modem adaptor from widget that work with my old 33.6 trust
>modem
>I will try your link. I did try your web page first but my link was out of
>date

These are the settings I use with 5mx and USR 56k V90 Faxmodem:
--------------------
Name USR
Speed 115200
Connect Serial
Fax Class Auto
--------------------
Never
Medium
4 Secs
--------------------
Init (reset) AT&F1
Data AT
Fax AT&D2
--------------------
Flow Hardware (RTS/CTS)
Terminal (DSR/DTR) [X] checked
Carrier (DCD) [  ] not checked
Type Fixed Line
--------------------

--
    Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
  _____________________________

        Using RMRNews 1.02F
  _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Andrew Endea » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Been to your web site and compared widgets nullmodem adaptor to the three on
your site and it does not match any of them

1 > N/C
2 > 2
3 > 3
4 > 6
5 > 7
6 > 20
7 > 5
8 > 4
9 > 20

The two metal casings are also contected.

we have 9 and 25 way connectors and work, so i think monday lunch time will
be spent making nullmodem cables

--
Regards
Andrew Endean

Quote:> > Have a look at my file http://www.mikemcc.net/Modem.txt

> Or here too :)

> http://www.portal-pda.com/guides/nullmodem/nullmodem.html

> rueyloon

External Modem

Post by Mike McConnel » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have just bought a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem
> I have tried the generic settings and the sportster settings.
> The 5mx picks up the modem ( I hear the speaker come on ) there is a short
> pause and I get I message saying no dial tone detected. it works fine with
> the PC.

You can disable "Wait for dial tone" although I wouldn't have thought this
would be necessary in the UK, unless you are using a phone provider with a
dial tone the moden cannot recognise.

In "Control Panel / Dialling", set the Location to the one you use with the
USR modem then tap the "Edit" button. In the "Dial settings" tab, uncheck
the box for Wait for dial tone then press [Enter] twice to get back to
Control Panel.

--
      Mike       [Dundee, Scotland]
  _____________________________

  _____________________________

External Modem

Post by Andrew Endea » Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Disable the "wait for dial tone" and it works fine using the sportster
setting.
email, web and wap ok on the 5mx, havent done anythink with my revo yet as i
hard reset that the other day to clear of all the junk and have not got
round to setting it up again.

even works with the free BT, main reason for replaceing modem was the old
one did not like any ISP that used the BT network.

thanks for the help

--
Regards
Andrew Endean