User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Andy Bur » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Some people seem to have the 5mx by now. Sooooo....

Mine's in transit from Dabs

Quote:>You must have been playing with it all night

That'll be Monday night spoken for ...
--
Andy At Burns Dot Net

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by nospam-se.. » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Mine arrived yesterday.  I've been struggling to get PsiWin 2.3 to
synchronise with Outlook after installing it over 2.2, think I'm just
about there now, but it ain't as simple as they make out.

Anyway, onto the stuff you want to know.  The screen is better, but
I'd say not as clear as a S3a.  However, after a couple of years with
a S5, I'm appreciating the improvement - eg I can use the thing on my
desk at home without resorting to power supply and backlight, as I had
to with the S5.

It is definitely faster.  I did a test using Enroute - painfully slow
on a S5 and the same route came out in about 1/4 of the time.
Similarly it sorted my address database (200 records, 100k) in about
1/3 of the time of a S5.

The whole thing just feels snappier - when you open a menu item it's
immediate rather than slightly delayed.  And spell checking is very
much faster.  Can't comment about  email and web browser as I never
installed them on the S5.  Saw how it slowed down a colleague's
machine and decided not to bother.  The versions on the S5mx seem
acceptably fast, however.

Sorry to be qualitative in my comments, but I'm still sorting this
bloomin' synchronisation out.  If I can escape from M$ Outlook it's
been worth every penny !

Stuart

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Ragnoro » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

...[snip]...

Quote:> much faster.  Can't comment about  email and web browser as I never
> installed them on the S5.  Saw how it slowed down a colleague's
> machine and decided not to bother.  The versions on the S5mx seem
> acceptably fast, however.

> Sorry to be qualitative in my comments, but I'm still sorting this
> bloomin' synchronisation out.  If I can escape from M$ Outlook it's
> been worth every penny !

> Stuart

   Does the 5Mx have e-mail in ROM?  What about the browser?  One of the
things I like the best about the P5 is those are separate, and easily
upgradeable, applications.  Putting one or the other in ROM will destroy
that utility...

(        )
 Ragnorok

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Ragnoro » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Mine arrived yesterday.  I've been struggling to get PsiWin 2.3 to
...[snip]...
> Stuart

   Forgot something.  I've seen nothing on the web about the battery
life of a 5Mx, other than batteries last "a month".  Using super-cheap
alkalines I get about 700 maH of use on my P5, but with a name brand
battery it's not uncommon to get 1300 maH or more.  What can one expect
out of the 5Mx, with twice the memory to power and twice the clock speed
to feed?  Thanks...

(        )
 Ragnorok

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Andy Bur » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Does the 5Mx have e-mail in ROM?

yes

Quote:>What about the browser?

no

Quote:>One of the
>things I like the best about the P5 is those are separate, and easily
>upgradeable, applications.  Putting one or the other in ROM will destroy
>that utility...

Why ? while the built in version is adequate use it from ROM, if it needs
bug fixes or upgrades, then it can be wholly or partially replaced with a
version in RAM ...

--
Andy At Burns Dot Net

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by nospam-se.. » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

OK, a  couple of quick tests with no applications open

With no backlight the Battery Information dialogue indicates:

Series 5      46mA
Series 5mx 62mA

With backlight on

Series 5       144mA
Series 5mx 113mA

Yes the email is built into ROM and very good it appears too.  Just
have to sort out my modem lead to try it direct, but I can't fault the
synchronise with Outlook function.  You install the web browser  into
RAM from the PsiWin CD.

I'm  pleased that the keyboard action seems to have improved,
sometimes my 5 used to miss letters when I typed, but maybe that's
'cos it was quite old.

Interesting to see that the reverse side of the extending keyboard the
screen printing  says "Series 5 / Series 5mx 4MB, 8MB, 16,MB, 24MB &
32MB" - may be machines with bigger RAM will be released soon?

Still love it to bits, but after using it for a few hours have to
admit that the screen isn't much better (the speed is another story .)

Stuart

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by James Giorda » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

As with any version of PsiWin it is always adviable to un-install any
previous version before installing a new one...

Which is probabl why your having problems. Of course you could try reading
the support docs included on the CD ROM...

Jim Giordan

Quote:> Mine arrived yesterday.  I've been struggling to get PsiWin 2.3 to
> synchronise with Outlook after installing it over 2.2, think I'm just
> about there now, but it ain't as simple as they make out.

> Anyway, onto the stuff you want to know.  The screen is better, but
> I'd say not as clear as a S3a.  However, after a couple of years with
> a S5, I'm appreciating the improvement - eg I can use the thing on my
> desk at home without resorting to power supply and backlight, as I had
> to with the S5.

> It is definitely faster.  I did a test using Enroute - painfully slow
> on a S5 and the same route came out in about 1/4 of the time.
> Similarly it sorted my address database (200 records, 100k) in about
> 1/3 of the time of a S5.

> The whole thing just feels snappier - when you open a menu item it's
> immediate rather than slightly delayed.  And spell checking is very
> much faster.  Can't comment about  email and web browser as I never
> installed them on the S5.  Saw how it slowed down a colleague's
> machine and decided not to bother.  The versions on the S5mx seem
> acceptably fast, however.

> Sorry to be qualitative in my comments, but I'm still sorting this
> bloomin' synchronisation out.  If I can escape from M$ Outlook it's
> been worth every penny !

> Stuart

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Alan Morris, G4EN » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>One of the
>>things I like the best about the P5 is those are separate, and easily
>>upgradeable, applications.  Putting one or the other in ROM will
destroy
>>that utility...

>Why ? while the built in version is adequate use it from ROM, if it
needs
>bug fixes or upgrades, then it can be wholly or partially replaced with
>version in RAM ...

The proper question should be:  Why did Psion not use flash to hold the
OS and builtin apps ?

Alan, G4ENS.
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Where do you want to go today ?    Somewhere stable - away from Windows.

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Andy Bur » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>The proper question should be:  Why did Psion not use flash to hold the
>OS and builtin apps ?

Because then UK residents would be able to grey import a *cheaper* USA
model and flash the UK version of the OS into it ?

Oh you'd probably have to doa bit of tippexing to account for different
keyboard layout too.

--
Andy At Burns Dot Net

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by John Forres » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> The proper question should be:  Why did Psion not use flash to hold the
> OS and builtin apps ?

The general consensus has been that Flash takes more power and is probably
more expensive.

John

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Ruud Harms » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

(Andy Burns) in comp.sys.psion.misc:

Quote:>Because then UK residents would be able to grey import a *cheaper* USA
>model and flash the UK version of the OS into it ?

>Oh you'd probably have to doa bit of tippexing to account for different
>keyboard layout too.

That means there IS a Psion 5 with a US keyboard? The Dutch Psion told
me there isn't! Strange, because virtually all PCs in the Netherlands
come with a US keyboard these days, not a Dutch one, and certainly not
a UK keyboard.
--
Ruud Harmsen - http://utopia.knoware.nl/~rharmsen/

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Andy Bur » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>So while it seems that the email sync issues are sorted,
>there is no consensus on the screen. Accepted that it is
>not fabulous, is it at least satisfactory?

Grudgingly I'll agree with that, you have to have a precise mixture of
strong lighting at just the right angle to be happy with backlight off,
ther's not really enough contrast there.

That means that I tend to stick the backlight on very frequently, which
often makes the difference, but gobbles battery.

The rest of the machine is great, I think psion should have tried harder
with the screen, and no doundt I'll be pissed of when they do release a
5cx colour version (especially if it's inside 6-9 months)

Also I think the number of GSM phones that are supported by IrDA is too
low, I'm on Orange so can't use the 8810, Orange don't "support" any
recent Ericsson phones so I'd have to but an offline version of the SH888
($$$$$) The 7110 isn't available yet, but it will seem like an overlap of
features with the 5mx, and the 8850 won't be out for months.

I'm not keen on the DI27 clip on (fall off) IrDa pod either, all in all I
think psion haven't worked hard enough to get GSM/IrDA working for
"average or slightly above" phones, you need the latest top of the range
to do it. I'd be happy to u/g to a 6150 and have a softmodem ...

--
Andy At Burns Dot Net

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Mark Fletche » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Andy,

Quote:>That means that I tend to stick the backlight on very
>frequently, which often makes the difference, but gobbles
>battery.
>The rest of the machine is great, I think psion should
>have tried harder with the screen, and no doundt I'll be
>pissed of when they do release a 5cx colour version

I am selling my LG phenom (winCE, colour screen) because
when it comes down to it size and battery life are more
important than the luxury of colour. 6-7 hours is simply
not good enough. The bottom line was that I missed the
flexibility and size of my series five.

Oh, and be careful you have probably just started huge
discussions in palmtop.misc.sys titled
"Psion 5cx! Out on Tuesday."

However what I slightly resent is the sense that the 5mx is
an interim machine. The Series 5 felt and was cutting edge,
but buy a 5mx and a new one will be out 10 minutes later.

Quote:>all in all I think psion haven't worked hard enough to get
>GSM/IrDA working for "average or slightly above" phones,
>you need the latest top of the range to do it. I'd be
>happy to u/g to a 6150 and have a softmodem ...

Yep, obviously they are more interested in the mobile
market since symbian, perhaps they have plans for a
dedicated mobile phone and softmodem would restrict that.

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by Triple Quadrophen » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Also I think the number of GSM phones that are supported by IrDA is too
>low, I'm on Orange so can't use the 8810, Orange don't "support" any
>recent Ericsson phones so I'd have to but an offline version of the SH888
>($$$$$) The 7110 isn't available yet, but it will seem like an overlap of
>features with the 5mx, and the 8850 won't be out for months.

Make sure you let Orange know that you're not happy.

I've told them that I'll be switching providers next month because I want to
use the SH888.

        Frank

User reviews of the 5mx

Post by John Forres » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Oh, and be careful you have probably just started huge
> discussions in palmtop.misc.sys titled
> "Psion 5cx! Out on Tuesday."

> However what I slightly resent is the sense that the 5mx is
> an interim machine. The Series 5 felt and was cutting edge,
> but buy a 5mx and a new one will be out 10 minutes later.

A thought on this:
Have Psion ever released a new model less than a year after the machine it
replaces was released? They tend to go on consumer electronic cycles rather
than the new model every six months technique.

Of course when changes do come they tend to be that little more painful for
it;-)

--
John Forrest
A Purplesoft employee in a personal capacity