Battery lead problem

Post by Gareth Alldre » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

After reading about it many times, I now have the famous battery lead
problem.  I looked in the FAQ and couldn't find detailed instructions
on changing the cable.  Could anyone please point me in the direction
of detailed instructions (so I can decide if I want to risk doing it
myself) and where I can get a new cable from (I am in the US)

Many thanks

Gareth

Battery lead problem

Post by Franz Grats » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>After reading about it many times, I now have the famous battery lead
>problem.  I looked in the FAQ and couldn't find detailed instructions
>on changing the cable.  Could anyone please point me in the direction
>of detailed instructions (so I can decide if I want to risk doing it
>myself) and where I can get a new cable from (I am in the US)

>Many thanks

>Gareth

If you have an 3a there is not a big action to change the cable:
open the battery lid
* up the 4 screws
remove the battery compartment
disconnect the old cable
remove the old cable
insert the new cable
connect the new cable
reassemble the psion
rgds
connect the new cab

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Franz J.Gratsch

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Mark Abr » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> After reading about it many times, I now have the famous battery lead
> problem.  I looked in the FAQ and couldn't find detailed instructions
> on changing the cable.  Could anyone please point me in the direction
> of detailed instructions (so I can decide if I want to risk doing it
> myself) and where I can get a new cable from (I am in the US)

> Many thanks

> Gareth

Here are some notes I've saved to get you started.  All I'd add to these
notes (which are good) is that you should spend some time "remembering"
was the old lead route was so you get the new one installed properly.
Oh, and backup your unit's data - just in case!

Message: #195072, S/18  Psion General
Date:    Tue, Jan 23, 1996 7:15:26 AM
Subject: #195026-Battery lead problem?
From:    John Boyce (Sysop) 100014,1240
To:      Poppy Holden 100330,2716 (received)
Reply:   #195125 (1 reply)

Poppy,

To replace the battery lead is a bit fiddly but possible.

  Remove the battery cover and take out the batteries.
  Unscrew the 4 'Philips' screws visible with the battery cover off
(this will
  make the whole of the back end free).
  Take note of where the lead from the battery compartment goes to and
unplug
  it from the main body.
  Replace the lead making sure that it follows exactly the same path as
the
  original.
  Plug the lead into the small plug on the body and re-attach the
battery
  compartment.

As I said it is a bit fiddly and you will need a very small 'Philips'
screwdriver to remove and replace the screws.

Best wishes

John

Message: #200689, S/18  Psion General
Date:    Fri, Feb 16, 1996 12:58:27 PM
Subject: #200688-3a battery help
From:    Dennis Lefebvre (Sysop) 102404,3623
To:      Mark Abreu 74372,3477 (deletable)

Mark

 1. The battery cable is the cause of the problem, so replacing it
should be a permanent fix.

 2. To my knowledge the battery cables are not available from dealers,
only directly from Psion Inc. I do not know if they will send you one or
if you must return the unit for service. Phone:508-371-0310;
Fax:508-371-9611.

 3. My understanding is that the cable plugs into place, no soldering
required, but the fit is tight.

 4. <<Officially>> I believe Psion reccommends that you not use
Everready batteries <grin>.

dennis %^)

Message: #204633, S/18  Psion General
Date:    Fri, Mar 8, 1996 6:00:23 PM
Subject: #204474-Battery Lead instr
From:    Steven Shone 100536,3712
To:      Mark Abreu 74372,3477 (deletable)

Quote:>>Is anyone out there willing to share their personal experience with

changing their own battery lead on a 3a?  How did you get a new one?
What was *really* wrong with the old one?  Can you describe the
procedure (understanding that I won't hold anyone responsible if I
decide to try this myself)?  I don't mind paying to have the lead
replaced but waiting 10+ days for the entire process is hard to swallow
because I love my 3a.<<

Don't wait 10 days. It is real easy. Remove the batteries. Unscrew the
little screws holding the battery compartment onto the main body of the
machine. Ease the battery compartment off and turn it over. Carefully
note how the battery cable runs along the compartment. Gently ease the
little white plastic connector at the end of the lead out of the socket.
Take out old lead and discard.

Take new lead, and carefully reverse the process. It's a doddle. Get two
or three new leads though, as this makes you less nervous about breaking
the replacement! If you have the extras, you won't need them. If you
don't, you might <g>

When you have removed the old lead, you will probably be able to see the
damage.

23:54  08 March 1996

1. Battery Lead problem?

I have recently been having problems with my Psion 3 classic turning
off.  This only tends to happen when passing the device to other
people whist playing psionopoly!  I have the 'decent' battery
compartment with the divider between the two cells, and I am using
duracell powercheck batteries, and I don't think these are the
problem.  How easy is it to change the battery lead?  Is it just a
piece of wire or what?  I am reasonably adept at soldering, but how
much would it cost to have it repaired (by psion?)?

--
Andrew Hodgekins
Coventry, United Kingdom                      /\  /\/\ |__|

WWW  : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/amh

2. MSN and Shared Modems

3. The dreaded battery lead problem

4. change control for databases -- how?

5. parts to fix dreaded battery lead problem

6. Anyone doing X.25 on HP/9000 HPUX10.0?

7. Dreaded battery lead problem on 3c

8. Immediate need of Hyperion Developer -- Texas

9. Battery Problems - Now mains Lead ???

10. 3a battery lead connector

11. Broken battery lead

12. Help needed: Fixing the battery lead

13. Batteries With AC Lead