Brush Strokes on Vector Paths

Post by mike_sh.. » Sun, 15 Feb 2009 00:10:12

Surely this has been mentioned before, but I did a search and found nothing, so...

As an Illustrator, I would really like to be able to set a vector path and then stroke it with one of the drawing tools [i]using the pressure sensitivity[/i] of the Wacom pen/tablet. Painter has this, but I prefer the way Photoshop handles a lot of other things (layer management, vector shape transformations, etc.).

This would work similar to the Magnetic Lasso so that I could follow a vector path with a Brush tool, varying pressure during the stroke. I am aware of Ps's current ability to stroke a path, and the "simulate pressure" part, but neither of these give me the control I'm looking for.

An example would be to draw an ellipse with the Vector Shape tool, then stroke a portion of it with the Brush tool, varying the size and/or opacity along the way. Move or transform the vector shape, and stroke again.

Brush Strokes on Vector Paths

Post by Mark_Reyno.. » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:49:30

Its a strange request you have made there. You want to manually trace round a vector path with your Wacom, and have it record pressure sensitivity.

Why don't you make a horizontal brush stroke, redefine that as a new brush and then stroke the path with this new brush. Needless to say, this process can all be speeded up, simplified and automated with Actions.

Also Illustrators vector brush capabilites for illustration purposes are capable of amazing results

Brush Strokes on Vector Paths

Post by mike_sh.. » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:10:20

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before. Seems like such a natural fit for an Illustration workflow. Given how many illustrators spend so much time in Ps, I can't believe I'm the only one who is looking for this functionality.

Basically, I'm looking for a digital take on french curves.

Yes, I can get the same effect doing as you describe, but what essentially is "programming" (with a few rounds of trial-and-error before you get it "right") is a massive impediment to the creative flow. I wouldn't want to have to go through that process over and over again, to only apply to a couple strokes or paths each time.

I probably spend a couple hours in Ps for every minute I spend in Painter, but this feature is one of the few things I really like better about Painter than Photoshop.

Brush Strokes on Vector Paths

Post by ArtJu.. » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:23:52

I submitted something similar to this about two version back. I know
when I'm trying to draw a long line, it would be nice to be able to use
some sort of guide. I think I was imagining a tool that you could hold
with a second hand while drawing with the wacom pen. I think they really
could corner the market if they came up with something like this.
Unfortunately, I think they hold back...after all, if they give it all
away, they have nothing to upgrade to...right?
On a similar note, I vaguely remember back when ver 2or 3 of Illustrator
came out and one could fit graphics(text?) in an envelope. At the time,
it was a plugin that was subsequently removed.

For the next 50;) versions I whined about this. Finally, I think it was
version 9 or 10 that brought this feature back to Illustrator.

So given that track record, I think we might get it in version 17. Let's
cross our fingers. ;)