add "unite" function to multiple paths

Post by MacWri.. » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:46:45

to create a single clipping path from multiple paths it would be nice to add the "unite" AI pathfinder function to merge 2 overlapping paths

select 2 paths> choose "unite" from drop down ?

add "unite" function to multiple paths

Post by progr.. » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:03:44

its been asked for and ignored several times.

don't go getting carried away with the idea that just because there's a feature set in PS that your expected to use it in an intensive manner.

either they won't or they can't. Take your pick.

Scissors are apparently a no-go as well... just in case someone starts running with the idea.

But there is a new interface, and 3d as well... so expect that to be 1/2 baked for the rest of it's life as well.

Post by MacWri.. » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:50:48

      Scissors are apparently a no-go as well... just in case someone starts
      running with the idea.

running with scissors : )

fortunately transferring paths back and forth from AI to PS is easy enough, so the pathfinder tools are still an option.

add "unite" function to multiple paths

Post by Mark_Reyno.. » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:19:30

As far as I'm aware the feature you are asking for already exists. Make sure both your overlapping paths are part of the same workpath (if they are not, copy and paste them so that they are). Select them both with the black path selection tool. Then in the options bar there is now an option called "combine".

This was option wasn't always available, I think was introduced a few versions ago. There are no more sophisticated pathfinder options than this. As you said its so easy to copy and paste from Illustrator.

add "unite" function to multiple paths

Post by MacWri.. » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:18:32

Hi Mark,

The Unite function is different from the Combine function in that it calculates one path outline from the the 2 shapes and removes the overlapping paths.

1. Objects Created Using "Unite" Action Crash Program When Trying to Delete

I'm running Illustrator 10.0.3 on a Mac running OS 10.3.3. When trying to delete an object that I created using the "Unite" action, the program crashes. Check it out and let me know if it's just me..., draw 3 shapes; select them all, then click play on the "Unite" action; now select and try to delete the newly formed object. Did it work for you? Can anyone suggest what might be going on? Thanks.

CK

2. Netscape 6 Issues

3. set search paths[""] - for multiple folders..

4. OVERPRINT problem in IDCS - text turn out bold when placed over image

5. Illustrator Quits after performing "add to area" function

6. X-axis label limitations?

7. need to add "any" to top of multiple search fields (db), ect

8. OT: F/T Int/Adv AW Dev

9. VBScript "Add Multiple Items To UltraCart At Once"

10. Tempales and broken paths (="/)

11. finding " symbol in find function

12. add movies by getting paths from text files !

13. Improve Paths (add menu commands)