Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by R. Jeffrey Gra » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 17:15:43

Does anyone know of an antivirus program for OS/2?  I heard there was one
...file name AVOS2.ZIP, but can't find it at any FTP sites.

Any help is appreciated!

RJGrace

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by James R. McClure Jr » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 03:24:58

Quote:

> Does anyone know of an antivirus program for OS/2?  I heard there was one
> ....file name AVOS2.ZIP, but can't find it at any FTP sites.

Peace Jeffery,

I've been using McAfee's ViruScan for OS/2.  You can download it from ftp.
mcafee.com.

                                        Nil carborundum illigitimi,

                                        James R. McClure Jr.
                                        The OS/2 Apostle

<insert disclaimer here>

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by mbfa.. » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 00:02:09

        There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
It is the same product I am required to use as an employee internally and
on my home machine. IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage
they cause. It is fully integrated into the OS/2 environment and is updated
every 6 months. Selling price is VERY competitive & is attractive to SOHO
users (Small Office & HOme) that are serious about detecting, removing &
KEEPING viruses off there systems.

Mark

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by Mark McLe » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 04:53:19

>         There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
> SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
> It is the same product I am required to use as an employee internally and
> on my home machine. IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage
> they cause. It is fully integrated into the OS/2 environment and is updated
> every 6 months. Selling price is VERY competitive & is attractive to SOHO
> users (Small Office & HOme) that are serious about detecting, removing &
> KEEPING viruses off there systems.

    I saw this in response to a question in "comp.os.os2.apps."  I
have one simple question: Are the updates like the free updates that
Central Point and Symantec had on their BBSs, by snail-mail, &c.?
    Thanks in advance.

--

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by Lee Adki » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 21:49:53

>>         There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
>> SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
>> It is the same product I am required to use as an employee internally and
>> on my home machine. IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage
>> they cause. It is fully integrated into the OS/2 environment and is updated
>> every 6 months. Selling price is VERY competitive & is attractive to SOHO
>> users (Small Office & HOme) that are serious about detecting, removing &
>> KEEPING viruses off there systems.
>    I saw this in response to a question in "comp.os.os2.apps."  I
>have one simple question: Are the updates like the free updates that
>Central Point and Symantec had on their BBSs, by snail-mail, &c.?
>    Thanks in advance.

The last time I checked, the updates were not free.  I think the rate I saw
was $29.95.

Lee

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by mb.. » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 02:37:51

-
-
-
[...]

        I have put this on one of our CFORUMs or Customer Forums that are
available to the outside via the OS/2 BBS in Raleigh. I will post the response
here.

Mark

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by porte.. » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 01:41:03

>        There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
>SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
>IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage they cause. It is
>fully integrated into the OS/2 environment and is updated
>every 6 months...

What if a new virus comes out in between the 6 month updates?  While I can
understand the company wanting revenue for their products and services,
it would seem necessary to have updates on the frequency of new knowledge
about viruses, rather than on a set frequency like every 6 months.

What assistance does IBM offer in between the 6 month updates?

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by rwhu.. » Fri, 10 Mar 1995 13:24:16

Quote:>What if a new virus comes out in between the 6 month updates?
> ... ...
>What assistance does IBM offer in between the 6 month updates?

        The updates are every THREE MONTHS.
The risk of a SERIOUS virus becoming a widespread threat
in that time frame is minimal,
though not impossible.

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by Sven L.L. Raffer » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 02:38:20

>--        There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
>--SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
>--IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage they cause. It is

i had an early version of this and you want to talk about increasing your boot time...
it would take about five minutes to complete a scan on a 202M hd!  so, take your
chances with it...
--
get warped!!  it's kinda like Windoze 95...just better and available now!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%  sven lars loebler rafferty            *           "God is dead"--Nietzsche  %
%  po box 53151                         ***                                    %
%  san jose, ca  95153-0151              *            "Nietzshe is dead"--God  %

%                                                                              %
%        <><       "we use quality fluids in our computers,        <><         %
%               that means we don't use microsoft software."--me               %
%                                                                              %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by sbow.. » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:36:52

>>--        There are several Shareware ones. IBM markets a full capability
>>--SERIOUS INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH product for OS/2. IBM AntiVirus for OS/2.
>>--IBM is DEADLY serious about viruses and the damage they cause. It is

>i had an early version of this and you want to talk about increasing your boot time...
>it would take about five minutes to complete a scan on a 202M hd!  so, take your
>chances with it...
>--
>get warped!!  it's kinda like Windoze 95...just better and available now!

I've seen a number of posts regarding Viral software for OS/2. Many people have
suggested IBM's software but I have not seen any post concerning McAfee's products.
Can anyone comment on McAfee's OS/2 virus scanner?

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by jim wenz » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 15:10:05

>i had an early version of this and you want to talk about increasing your boot time...
>it would take about five minutes to complete a scan on a 202M hd!  so, take your
>chances with it...

I've used IBM's Anti-Virus for os2 for about 6 months and have been
_very_ pleased with the results. I bought it as a last resort when my box
came down with "crazy boot" in October of last year. NOTHING else could find
and kill this bug. AV/2 did so. If memory serves the original purchase price
was about $50. Updates/new editions are issued quarterly at a price of
$29.95 (plus S&H) per update or you can subscribe to a year's worth for
$89.95.

As far as the reported increase in boot times, the versions I've used
allow the user to specify the frequency with which AV/2 checks the
system and the time of day that it does so. Mine is set to check every day
during hours that I am out of the office. On those occasions that I have
been around when the program ran I haven't noticed any appreciable
degradation in performance. The program runs in background and if it
finds no problems, disappears w/o a trace (it seems to take about 2-3
minutes to scan 2 drives that total a little over a gig.) It's not free,
but IMHO it's a good investment.

jim

jim wenzel                            |

university of california, riverside   |

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by dsdar.. » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:28:05

>I've seen a number of posts regarding Viral software for OS/2. Many people have
>suggested IBM's software but I have not seen any post concerning McAfee's products.
>Can anyone comment on McAfee's OS/2 virus scanner?

MacAfee's Virus Scan for OS/2 works very well. But MacAfee,
themselves state in their docs that way that OS/2
handles memory allows it to scan only a single available memory
block. And further, they state that no virus that can attack
the OS/2 operating system has ever been discovered. And only one
that could attack the 'boot strap loader' (there is no boot
'sector' for OS/2). A VDM, however, is a different matter, so that
is what MacAfee targets. Therefore, system wide damage being
caused by a virus attacking a stand-alone PC which is always run
under OS/2 is at very little. If the PC is run under real mode DOS
a great deal of the time, however, and especially if it is used to
interact with other PCs funning DOS such as in a mixed LAN
environment, the danger of your OS/2 box being a 'Typhoid Mary' is
considerable. So get yourself *some* type of protection, and use
it regularly.

    _ _
    \ \ \     Doug Darrow     \     $ 0.02 (two cents worth)
     )=========================>    - 0.01 (for your thoughts)

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by March Ha » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 11:29:15

: I've seen a number of posts regarding Viral software for OS/2. Many people have
: suggested IBM's software but I have not seen any post concerning McAfee's products.
: Can anyone comment on McAfee's OS/2 virus scanner?

There must be something wrong with your newsfeed, then.  I use McAfee's
and have so posted.

John

--
Mome Raths BBS            sevot yhtils eht dna ,gillirb sawT`      ^. .^

Oxford, Ohio                    ,sevogorob eht erew ysmim llA
                                 .ebargtuo shtar emom eht dnA

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by mbfa.. » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 21:35:31

        Doug is absolutely correct. OS/2 is a Typhoid Mary in the classic sense of
the term. Although it has been shown to be immune to viruses to date it can harbor
almost all DOS viruses and pass them on through diskettes and to DOS LAN nodes.
        Get protected. The IBM AntiVirus for OS/2 is an industrial strength
protection program designed to ARDUOUSLY & RELENTLESSLY track down and
destroy viruses in the OS/2 environment. It is updated quarterly to keep it current.
If you are in a sensitive environment with mission critical records protect yourself.
For situations were the system is not critical and can stand being rebuilt if a virus
attacks, less draconian protection can be used.

Mark

Anti-Virus for OS/2

Post by b.. » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 14:00:24

Quote:>I've seen a number of posts regarding Viral software for OS/2. Many people have
>suggested IBM's software but I have not seen any post concerning McAfee's products.
>Can anyone comment on McAfee's OS/2 virus scanner?

I retrieved the latest McAfee virus scanner for OS/2 one week ago. It promptly
corrupted the extended attributes file on a FAT-based Warp installation we're
testing at work. I tried it three times just to make sure it was McAfee.

I haven't had any trouble with McAfee on my HPFS-based Warp system at home.

Tim Ball

1. Anti-Virus for OS/2??? (which one)

Any recommendations for anti-virus software for OS/2?  I can get the Central
Point one cheap, but I don't know how it rates compared to the IBM one.
Thanks.
--
  /-------/>>========_Promoting Cybernetic Cow Development_=======\\   (__)

*  ||----||     CI$:70740,1416   Running EVERYTHING with OS/2!!!        \/