Umax Astra 610P

Post by Boris Sho » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello everyone!

Having heard so much cheering about the Umax Astra 610P parallel port
scanner, I decided to get one of my own. As people here have related, it
runs just fine under Win-OS/2, and there's no need for fiddling to get
it to work. Scans come out looking great.

I thought everyone might like to know that Web Auction
(http://www.webauction.com) is selling these scanners fairly frequently.
I bought mine for $50 (refurbished). So I got a great color scanner for
the price of a pair of pants.

Two questions: first, how do you turn off the lamp without turning the
scanner off? Second, does anyone else have an experience where Page
manager stops working, and one needs to exit it and restart it to make
it work again?

Best,

Boris

Umax Astra 610P

Post by Howard Polloc » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

:>Second, does anyone else have an experience where Page
:>manager stops working, and one needs to exit it and restart it to make
:>it work again?

Not exactly that problem ,but I have found that I need to exit Page Manager
before the printer will start its printing. Not a big problem (I share the
same parallel port BTW).

In comparison to the win32 version which locks up the machine during a scan,
I can run the win16 software in a win/os2 session and carry on with my work.
One of the many benefits of OS2 :-)

It's a great, cheap scanning solution for OS2

Regards

Howard

Umax Astra 610P

Post by A. Willard Ree » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

        I also am interested in getting this scanner.  I hope to do this in the
coming week.
A few questions if you would answer them ?
        1. Do you install this in Win-OS2 or in Windows 311?
        2. Does this come with Win311 software for installation? Is that what's used?
        3. Is your printer connected to this same parallel port?
        4. Are they're any other problems with the installation or with other
specific software?

        Thanks very much in advance.
Regards,
Willard

Umax Astra 610P

Post by A. Willard Ree » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I also am interested in getting this scanner.  I hope to do this in the coming
week.
A few questions if you would answer them ?
        1. Do you install this in Win-OS2 or in Windows 311?
        2. Does this come with Win311 software for installation? Is that what's used?
        3. Is your printer connected to this same parallel port?
        4. Are they're any other problems with the installation or with other
specific software?

        Thanks very much in advance.
Regards,
Willard

Umax Astra 610P

Post by mchas.. » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I also am interested in getting this scanner.  I hope to do this in the
>coming week.
>A few questions if you would answer them ?
>    1. Do you install this in Win-OS2 or in Windows 311?

Your choice.  Either or both.  Of course WIn-OS2 makes more sense.

        2. Does this come with Win311 software for installation? Is that what's

Quote:>used?

Yes.  It installs without effort.

Quote:>    3. Is your printer connected to this same parallel port?

Yes, mine is and of course I have to exit the scanner software in order to
print.

Quote:>    4. Are they're any other problems with the installation or with other
>specific software?

Amazingly and astonishingly no.  I also got a copy of Textbridge 96 Pro
since the OCR package that comes with the scanner is ok but will not out
put formatted text, and so I am able to scan and then save the image in
wpd format right into Wordpro for OS2 and then carry on.  Works quite
well.

Quote:>    Thanks very much in advance.
>Regards,
>Willard

------
Monroe Chasson

"...apres moi le deluge." - Louis XIV
(every dog has its day -tr.)
MR2ICE reg#51 and OS2

Umax Astra 610P

Post by Howard Polloc » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

:>   I also am interested in getting this scanner.  I hope to do this in the
:>coming week.
:>A few questions if you would answer them ?
:>   1. Do you install this in Win-OS2 or in Windows 311?

Either. Win/OS2 would make more sense though !

:>   2. Does this come with Win311 software for installation? Is that what's used?

Yes. All the 16 bot windows software supplied on the CD works great

:>   3. Is your printer connected to this same parallel port?

Yes

:>   4. Are they're any other problems with the installation or with other
:>specific software?

No

Regards

Howard

Umax Astra 610P

Post by prsc.. » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello everyone!

>Having heard so much cheering about the Umax Astra 610P parallel port
>scanner, I decided to get one of my own. As people here have related, it
>runs just fine under Win-OS/2, and there's no need for fiddling to get
>it to work. Scans come out looking great.

>I thought everyone might like to know that Web Auction
>(http://www.webauction.com) is selling these scanners fairly frequently.
>I bought mine for $50 (refurbished). So I got a great color scanner for
>the price of a pair of pants.

>Two questions: first, how do you turn off the lamp without turning the
>scanner off? Second, does anyone else have an experience where Page
>manager stops working, and one needs to exit it and restart it to make
>it work again?

>Best,

>Boris

There is a Windows Program "Power Saver" supplied in the program group.
This should come up.  If not, start it.  Clicking on it will turn on or off the
lamp.  This is the only way I know of to do that except for turning the
scanner off.

I have not had a problem with Page manager (yet).  I have had problems with
printing to the scanner port after using the power-saver utility.  I have to bail
out of WIN-OS2 and restart it to print.  Power-saver must somehow tie up
the port.

Paul

Umax Astra 610P

Post by Boris Sho » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >Hello everyone!

> >Having heard so much cheering about the Umax Astra 610P parallel port
> >scanner, I decided to get one of my own. As people here have related, it
> >runs just fine under Win-OS/2, and there's no need for fiddling to get
> >it to work. Scans come out looking great.

> >I thought everyone might like to know that Web Auction
> >(http://www.webauction.com) is selling these scanners fairly frequently.
> >I bought mine for $50 (refurbished). So I got a great color scanner for
> >the price of a pair of pants.

> >Two questions: first, how do you turn off the lamp without turning the
> >scanner off? Second, does anyone else have an experience where Page
> >manager stops working, and one needs to exit it and restart it to make
> >it work again?

> >Best,

> >Boris

> There is a Windows Program "Power Saver" supplied in the program group.
> This should come up.  If not, start it.  Clicking on it will turn on or off the
> lamp.  This is the only way I know of to do that except for turning the
> scanner off.

I don't see this icon in either the VistaScan or the PageManager program
groups. Can you tell me the filename?

Quote:> I have not had a problem with Page manager (yet).  I have had problems with
> printing to the scanner port after using the power-saver utility.  I have to bail
> out of WIN-OS2 and restart it to print.  Power-saver must somehow tie up
> the port.

> Paul

Thanks,

Boris

Umax Astra 610P

Post by Oliver Chu » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

1. Umax Astra 610P Owners?

        I have a Umax Astra 610P(Parallel port) scanner working fine in Win-OS2
except for one thing that is bothering me.  In the Vistascan folder is an icon
called Copier.  This should copy directly from the scanner to the printer.  My
scanner scans it OK but then I get the indication that the computer can't find
the printer.  I know there are other ways to accomplish this but why does this
not work?
        The same program running in Windows 3.11 works perfectly - scanning and then
printing in one operation.
        Is this a case where Windows 3.11 can do what OS2 Warp 4.0 cannot do?

        Has anyone else found a way to make this work in WinOS2?  Have others
experienced the same result when trying to use the scanner as a copier?

        Would like to hear from others on their experience and/or solution.
Regards,
Willard

2. Can i softkick os3.5 from 2.1 roms

3. Twain Driver/UMAX 610P

4. Is There a ramdisk for IRIX?

5. Umax 610P in WIN/OS2 ?

6. Help putting sound files on webpage

7. Umax 610P and vistascan

8. Command Line

9. Impos/2 with UMAX Astra 600P scanner?

10. Problem with Umax Astra 1200S

11. Scanning with Umax Astra 2200?

12. Umax Astra 1220S and SANE

13. UMAX Astra 1220S - help