Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Post by Etienne Pralo » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a problem with my OS2 setup. I can not access my syquest drive from OS2.
My cofiguration is a Syquest attached to an Adaptec 1540C SCSI interface. OS2
has installed the SCSI device, I can see my Syquest as drice G, but can not
access it (message invalide media). It is as if the Syquest was a floppy
disk...

Any suggestions are wellcome

please email

Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Post by jmcr.. » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Etienne,
 I don't have good news for you. I tried using a IOMEGA ZIP drive
(1995 winner of the "Worst Supported Drive" award) under the 1540 and
it didn't work. A friend tried the 1542 and it did. I tried the 1522 and it did.
They certainly aren't the same drive, but they share characteristics. The only
difference between the 1540 and 1542 (that I know of) is that the 1542 supports
a floppy and the 1540 doesn't. My board could have been bad, but see if anyone
you know will lend you a 1542 for tests. Sorry I don't have any positives on this!

"Shoes for Industry - Shoes for the Nation!"

Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Post by Kenneth Crud » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>To IBM, if you used to use DOS and built up a library of files on removable
>media prior to coming to OS/2, you aren't worth thinking about.
>Oh, you may use your Syquest drive, but you can't ... partition it or
>format it HPFS unless you want to reboot every time you switch disks.

Isn't this just a little contradictory, though? If you've got all these
disks full of data, is repartitioning them or the use of HPFS even an issue?

BTW, I've been able to use DOS FAT Syquests with Corel SCSI (2.0) under
OS/2.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Unix & OS/2 Software Consultant, Scott County Consulting

16 Plainfield St, Boston, MA 02130-3633   +1 617 983 9410      Fax
OS/2 box: pkenny.tiac.net (when I'm online) Get Warp-ed! OS/2 3.0 is here NOW!

Post by Pssco.. » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>To IBM, if you used to use DOS and built up a library of files on removable
>>media prior to coming to OS/2, you aren't worth thinking about.

>>Oh, you may use your Syquest drive, but you can't ... partition it or
>>format it HPFS unless you want to reboot every time you switch disks.

>Isn't this just a little contradictory, though? If you've got all these
>disks full of data, is repartitioning them or the use of HPFS even an issue?

>BTW, I've been able to use DOS FAT Syquests with Corel SCSI (2.0) under
>OS/2.

The issue is actually hard drive formatted disks. OS/2 sees them as
hard drives exclusively. If you have floppy formatted disks (which
didn't exist or at least weren't supported by Adaptec or SyQuest
until recently...) then you can use them under OS/2 just fine. If you
want to use HPFS you must use a hard drive format. If you want to
make multiple partitions on the one disk (a frightening idea, I
agree), you must use hard drive format. And if you've been formatting
disks since before the DOS Syquest driver that supports floppy
formatted Syquest cartriges (the earliest one I know of is dated
10-24-94) you have been using the hard drive format for a while and
probably need to continue to do so.

Not contradictory. I simply want to use my existing disks which I
cannot for the same reason *someone else* cannot format them HPFS.

Although perhaps I should look into CorelSCSI. I've heard that
CorelSCSI partitions and formats disks differently than Adaptec's
SCSI utilities, but if this is not true, then CorelSCSI may be the
solution. I don't want to pay $$$$ for something that "might" work,
though. Anyone able to tell me for sure?

Steve

Post by sjh.. » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I have a problem with my OS2 setup. I can not access my syquest drive from OS2.
>My cofiguration is a Syquest attached to an Adaptec 1540C SCSI interface. OS2
>has installed the SCSI device, I can see my Syquest as drice G, but can not
>access it (message invalide media). It is as if the Syquest was a floppy
>disk...

>Any suggestions are wellcome

>please email

I have an Adaptec 1542cf w/a Syquest 270.
You need to format the Syquest cartridges under OS/2 before it will read it.
Dos can't read the OS/2 formatted cartridge and OS/2 can't read the DOS
formatted cartridge.   The Icon I get is not that of a floppy but of a
removable HD. I had not seen this type of icon before I installed the Syquest.

Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Post by mo.. » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Well,

I beg to differ but I have had a different experience.  I have found that
my Syquest cartridges fresh out of the box could be read either by
DOS or OS/2 Warp.

This was a particular suprise since I went to J&R in Manhattan where
they only had the apple versions of the cartridge.  However I found that
the cartridge contained the usual Fastback backup and other imaging
software.  I quickly reformmated the cartridge and even stackkered
it to about 500MB.

By the way, in my configuration (notebook with qlogic scsi card)
connected to a scsi tower including syquest, I have to reboot before
changing cartridges.  This applies to DOS and OS/2.

Regards,

Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

Post by sc.. » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have an Adaptec 1542cf w/a Syquest 270.
>You need to format the Syquest cartridges under OS/2 before it will read it.
>Dos can't read the OS/2 formatted cartridge and OS/2 can't read the DOS
>formatted cartridge.   The Icon I get is not that of a floppy but of a
>removable HD. I had not seen this type of icon before I installed the Syquest.

This is not true. I have a 270 which was formatted under DOS and onto which
I copied my DOS-based Windows directory. It is seen and used just fine by OS/2.

Kind regards

Derek Jones

1. Extremely slow access to a Syquest 270 mB SCSI drive

Hello,

I am using a Syquest 270 mB SCSI removable drive. After installing the drivers
from Syquest (syslock and the new OS2CAM.ADD) I coud access it and remove
cartridges, but the acccess time is very SLOW.
Nobody knows how to speed up things a bit ?

Thanks to email

2. List of OS/2 awards

3. Adaptec 1540 SCSI adapter

4. ActiveSync connection as Guest

5. WSeb and Syquest 270 IDE Removable

6. FA: RISC User magazines... and First Steps books

7. Corrupted partition table on Syquest 270 MB

8. Servlet Problem

9. FS: Syquest 270 Mb

10. Accessing a 270 MB Syquest under OS/2 Warp

11. Syquest 270 SCSI Problems

12. SCSI Twain driver problems under Win Os/2 with Adaptec 1540/42

13. Which drivers for Adaptec 1540 SCSI ???