SURPRISED!!!

Post by Rajatheo » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:31:34

hello all,
I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).
the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB RAM or
<= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t responds at all.
Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...
Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

Thanks in advance,

Raja

SURPRISED!!!

Post by Jack Klei » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:45:41

in comp.lang.c++:

Quote:> hello all,
> I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
> App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
> It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).

There are no interrupts or functions named outportb() or inportb() in
either the C or C++ language.

Quote:> the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB RAM or
> <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
> But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t responds at all.
> Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...
> Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

> Thanks in advance,

> Raja

In the future please do not cross post non-standard, platform specific
questions to comp.lang.c++.  THey are off topic here.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

SURPRISED!!!

Post by William L. Hartzel » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:12:39

Sir:

> hello all,
> I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
> App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
> It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).
> the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB RAM or
> <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
> But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t responds at all.
> Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...
> Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

> Thanks in advance,

> Raja

That are the limits of six* bit DOS runtime.
--
Bill
<Have a Good St Patrick's Day>

SURPRISED!!!

Post by stev.. » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:23:06

Quote:>It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).
>the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB
>RAM or <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
>But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t
>responds at all. Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...

Is it Real Mode or DOS-extended.  Real mode should work.  DOS-extended is
going to need a TSR to hide the extra memory.  If you need the TSR, look
for tdg16m.sys, IIRC.

Steven

Warp4/FP15/14.085_W4 www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

SURPRISED!!!

Post by Martin Kiewi » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:58:16

Quote:> hello all,

Hi !

Quote:> I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
> App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
> It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).

?? outportb and inportb are doing only simple OUT/INs on specified
ports. That's not interrupt driven.

Quote:> the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB RAM or
> <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
> But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t responds at all.
> Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...

Perhaps it's just higher processors speeds and so I would suggest that
your code is buggy. I suppose you are just doing the IN/OUTs and
perhaps you have some "wait-routine" that just doesn't wait enough or
is CPU dependant. So your hardware IO works too fast on faster
machines and misbehaves.

My own DOS-SerialIO driver works perfectly under OS/2 VDM and it's
really interrupt driven and optimized in assembly. So the fault is
almost definitely in your code :( :)

Quote:> Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

Could be thousand problems. Perhaps you are not activating the serial
FIFO so you are missing some bytes.
If you specify some more and perhaps post a snippet of your routine, I
can take a look at it.

Do you receive *any* char at all on faster computers or just some or
at least one ?

cu, Kiewitz

--
-> reply to martin (a-t) kiewitz.de, if you are not spamming =)

SURPRISED!!!

Post by Jim Calovic » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:05:35

I have run into a similar issue and found that Borland had some bugs in the
software that would act as you described on any system faster than 120 MHz

Quote:> hello all,
> I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
> App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
> It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).
> the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB
RAM or
> <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
> But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t
responds at all.
> Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...
> Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

> Thanks in advance,

> Raja

SURPRISED!!!

Post by WD Loughm » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:30:42

> I have run into a similar issue and found that Borland had some bugs in the
> software that would act as you described on any system faster than 120 MHz

> > hello all,
> > I've developed an serial comm. application using turbo c++.
> > App. is for Dos Based POS machine.
> > It is totally interrupt driven(outportb,inportb).
> > the Porblem I am facing is that if the Software is running on say <=16MB
> RAM or
> > <= Pentium it is working absolutely fine.
> > But Software on any higher memory or higher processor speed doesn;t
> responds at all.
> > Simple AT\r\n even doesn;t works...
> > Can anyone suggest me as to what can be the problem and what I need to do.

Mo'slo :     http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

WD "Bill" Loughman  -  Berkeley, California  USA

OS/2 Warp 4.52 MCP-2;  int.rev. 14.086b_W4

1. Corel Draw 6 for OS/2 is on indefinite hold, surprise, surprise

Are you making a distinction between a claim and an implication?  Either
way, why do have such a hard time admitting that somebody is making money
from OS/2?

Is the number of copies somehow more important than the profit?

What does company size have anything to do with it?

Why should Corel put any more than 8 people to work on an OS/2 app
project if a competitor can do it with 8 people?  Why put 250 on it?

2. Active Movie control

3. Advanced Network Authentication

4. Urgent Exchange Help Needed

5. Microsoft's system of choice - Surprise!

6. Help - how to undelete a 'marked-for-delete' file

7. Surprise...IBM writes games that run on OS/2!

8. Judgment Day surprise!

9. a nice surprise, or, a funny story

10. OS/2 2.1 beta surprises

11. Fixpak #3 and NewDASD... surprise!