Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Colin L. Hilding » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Jr.">Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:36:55 GMT writes:
:>
:>>
:>> With the Netscape/2 2.02 update... the default language encoding has the
:>> bulleted text showing a large "q" instead of a bullet.
:>>
:>> What "Document Encoding" should be used in the US?
:>
:>Thank God!  I thought I was the only one experiencing this bug!  My web
:>pages now look HORRIBLE with the new version of NN/2.  That, plus the
:>BASEFONT and FONT SIZE tags appear to be either ignored or handled
:>differently makes my pages look butt-ugly.  I've logged a problem with
:>IBM, and reported it directly to Martin Warnett as well.  Please let me
:>know if you hear anything on this, otherwise I'll be reinstalling the
:>previous version VERY quickly!

The "fix" is simple.

Turn both font sizes down:

Tms Rmn 10 pt
Courier 8 pt

Fixed it on my system.

Colin L. Hildinger

The Ultimate OS/2 * Page
http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/games.html

http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/awe32.html

Post by Martin Warnet » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Jr.">Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:36:55 GMT writes:
> :>

> :>>
> :>> With the Netscape/2 2.02 update... the default language encoding has the
> :>> bulleted text showing a large "q" instead of a bullet.
> :>>
> :>> What "Document Encoding" should be used in the US?
> :>
> :>Thank God!  I thought I was the only one experiencing this bug!  My web
> :>pages now look HORRIBLE with the new version of NN/2.  That, plus the
> :>BASEFONT and FONT SIZE tags appear to be either ignored or handled
> :>differently makes my pages look butt-ugly.  I've logged a problem with
> :>IBM, and reported it directly to Martin Warnett as well.  Please let me
> :>know if you hear anything on this, otherwise I'll be reinstalling the
> :>previous version VERY quickly!

> The "fix" is simple.

> Turn both font sizes down:

> Tms Rmn 10 pt
> Courier 8 pt

> Fixed it on my system.

> Colin L. Hildinger

> The Ultimate OS/2 * Page
> http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/games.html

> The Official Unofficial AWE32 and OS/2 Warp Page
> http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/awe32.html

Are you saying that also fixed the bullet problem too?

Thanks,

Martin.
Martin Warnett
OS/2 Development
Netscape Communications Corp.
Mountain View, CA
(415) 937-3452

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Jeffrey For » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

When I initially installed the upgrade, I had the bullet problem on all
web pages that had bullets. I tried changing the font and encoding from
the "General Preferences" settings under Options. This had no effect.
Although I switched the font, the change didn't take effect in the
window. When I chose "Document encoding" from the Options menu, and made
the changes there, all the problems were solved. I changed Latin 1
encoding to "User defined" and changed the font sizes. The changes took
effect immediately and the bullet problem was corrected. I switched
document encoding back to Latin 1, and everything remained fine.
Moreover, once I had done this, changes on the font page of the "General
preferences" took effect.

It seems that you have to make a change to the "Document encoding"
options in order to update the NETSCAPE.INI file if you have installed
over the previous version of Netscape 2.02. I have also seen a
suggestion that you delete NETSCAPE.INI, but I haven't tried this, and,
since the problem is solved for me, I don't intend to.
Jeffrey Ford, Cleveland State University

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Miche » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Cruz,
 > Jr.">Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:36:55 GMT writes:
 > :>

 > :>>
 > :>> With the Netscape/2 2.02 update... the default language encoding
has the
 > :>> bulleted text showing a large "q" instead of a bullet.
 > :>>
 > :>> What "Document Encoding" should be used in the US?
 > :>
 > :>Thank God!  I thought I was the only one experiencing this bug!  My
web
 > :>pages now look HORRIBLE with the new version of NN/2.  That, plus
the
 > :>BASEFONT and FONT SIZE tags appear to be either ignored or handled
 > :>differently makes my pages look butt-ugly.  I've logged a problem
with
 > :>IBM, and reported it directly to Martin Warnett as well.  Please
let me
 > :>know if you hear anything on this, otherwise I'll be reinstalling
the
 > :>previous version VERY quickly!
 >
 > The "fix" is simple.
 >
 > Turn both font sizes down:
 >
 > Tms Rmn 10 pt
 > Courier 8 pt
 >
 > Fixed it on my system.

 > Colin L. Hildinger

Has anyone found a solution to the codepage bug.
I use the French version and it has the same bug as it had in the
English version.
The characters look all ok in the posts from everybody but when you do a
reply
the characters are incorrectly loaded. It looks like some greek
characters instead
of the accented characters. When I type in some stuff it looks ok but
when I post it
it look like shit on the newsgroup.
How could anyone let such a ridiculous bug? I could understand on the US
version as
it is probably not tested for the codepages but on the French version,
it takes a bunch
of dummies not to notice such a problem. Posting or sending EMAIL with
this is useless
for writing languages with special characters like French.

Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/

We have many links of interest for sofware for OS/2, Linux, Dos, Windoze
as well as humor, food,
music, news, search, history, electronics and genealogy sites.

                If your wife sends you e-mail to come home, it's a hint
that you may be an engineer.

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Billy » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Apr 1997 23:34:13 -0500 writes:
:>
[...]
:>--
:>****************************************
:>Jeffrey Ford, Cleveland State University

:>****************************************

For me, it was even more simple:  Change toa different document encoding, then
switch back again.  Presto!

Bill
Team OS/2

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Colin L. Hilding » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

01 Apr 1997 17:56:30 -0800 writes:
:>
:>>

:>> Jr.">Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:36:55 GMT writes:
:>> :>
:>> :>>
[...]

Yep, did for me.  I still think the bullets are a little big, but...

Post by Martin Warnet » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Cruz,
>  > Jr.">Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:36:55 GMT writes:
>  > :>

>  > :>>
>  > :>> With the Netscape/2 2.02 update... the default language encoding
> has the
>  > :>> bulleted text showing a large "q" instead of a bullet.
>  > :>>
>  > :>> What "Document Encoding" should be used in the US?
>  > :>
>  > :>Thank God!  I thought I was the only one experiencing this bug!  My
> web
>  > :>pages now look HORRIBLE with the new version of NN/2.  That, plus
> the
>  > :>BASEFONT and FONT SIZE tags appear to be either ignored or handled
>  > :>differently makes my pages look butt-ugly.  I've logged a problem
> with
>  > :>IBM, and reported it directly to Martin Warnett as well.  Please
> let me
>  > :>know if you hear anything on this, otherwise I'll be reinstalling
> the
>  > :>previous version VERY quickly!

>  > The "fix" is simple.

>  > Turn both font sizes down:

>  > Tms Rmn 10 pt
>  > Courier 8 pt

>  > Fixed it on my system.

>  > Colin L. Hildinger

> Has anyone found a solution to the codepage bug.
> I use the French version and it has the same bug as it had in the
> English version.
> The characters look all ok in the posts from everybody but when you do a
> reply
> the characters are incorrectly loaded. It looks like some greek
> characters instead
> of the accented characters. When I type in some stuff it looks ok but
> when I post it
> it look like shit on the newsgroup.
> How could anyone let such a ridiculous bug? I could understand on the US
> version as
> it is probably not tested for the codepages but on the French version,
> it takes a bunch
> of dummies not to notice such a problem. Posting or sending EMAIL with
> this is useless
> for writing languages with special characters like French.

> Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member
> http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/

> We have many links of interest for sofware for OS/2, Linux, Dos, Windoze
> as well as humor, food,
> music, news, search, history, electronics and genealogy sites.

>                 If your wife sends you e-mail to come home, it's a hint
> that you may be an engineer.

You are much more likely to get help if you file a problem report rather
than insult the developers in a public forum.

We believe this problem was fixed in the new release.

http://home.netscape.com/people/mcw

Post by Miche » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Has anyone found a solution to the codepage bug.
> > I use the French version and it has the same bug as it had in the
> > English version.
> > The characters look all ok in the posts from everybody but when you do a
> > reply
> > the characters are incorrectly loaded. It looks like some greek
> > characters instead
> > of the accented characters. When I type in some stuff it looks ok but
> > when I post it
> > it look like shit on the newsgroup.
> > How could anyone let such a ridiculous bug? I could understand on the US
> > version as
> > it is probably not tested for the codepages but on the French version,
> > it takes a bunch
> > of dummies not to notice such a problem. Posting or sending EMAIL with
> > this is useless
> > for writing languages with special characters like French.

> You are much more likely to get help if you file a problem report rather
> than insult the developers in a public forum.

Yeah right! I reported the problem and nothing was done about it.
Netscape had
months to fix this problem and didn't do shit about it. It looks to me
like no one
made any attempt to correct the problem. They just imported the French
stuff from
windoze without noting that OEM is used under OS/2 not ANSI. The
conversion from OEM
to ISO isn't done correctly. It looks like they think that ANSI char are
OEM chars and
OEM chars are ANSI char with some weird visual results.

Quote:> We believe this problem was fixed in the new release.

Nonsense. I have the French version and it doesn't work.

(???)

Whoever is doing this stuff is not checking to see.
The only thing that was fixed in this regard was the*up in the
browser if
you dared changing the font at any time. And that was done at the
previous release.

Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/

We have many links of interest for sofware for OS/2, Linux, Dos, Windoze
as well as humor, food,
music, news, search, history, electronics and genealogy sites.

                If your wife sends you e-mail to come home, it's a hint
that you may be an engineer.

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by levan.. » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > Has anyone found a solution to the codepage bug.
> > I use the French version and it has the same bug as it had in the
> > English version.
> > The characters look all ok in the posts from everybody but when you do a
> > reply
> > the characters are incorrectly loaded. It looks like some greek
> > characters instead
> > of the accented characters. When I type in some stuff it looks ok but
> > when I post it
> > it look like shit on the newsgroup.
> > How could anyone let such a ridiculous bug? I could understand on the US
> > version as
> > it is probably not tested for the codepages but on the French version,
> > it takes a bunch
> > of dummies not to notice such a problem. Posting or sending EMAIL with
> > this is useless
> > for writing languages with special characters like French.

> > Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member
> > http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/

> > We have many links of interest for sofware for OS/2, Linux, Dos, Windoze
> > as well as humor, food,
> > music, news, search, history, electronics and genealogy sites.

hmm, works for me on the english version.  Maybe the problem
is the language you are using.  Try switching languages,
nobody uses French anymore anyways.

Lance

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Michael Kapl » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Please send me a scenario for your problem. We certainly tested the
ability to send and reply to mail with special characters.

Please let me know the codepage your system is running in.

--
Michael Kaply
Technical Lead

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by pspmi.. » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I just tested the posting of news with special french and german
characters.

I replied to that mail, and that worked.

What are you saying isn't functioning? I did not test the subject line.

--
Michael Kaply
Technical Lead
Netscape Navigator for OS/2 Warp
http://members.aol.com/pspmikek

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Gabriel Velasc » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Deleting the NETSCAPE.INI file in the netscape directory and re-entering
the preferences fixed the problem for me.  It's working very well now.
I haven't tried sending mail in other languages, but it fixed the "Wierd
Bullet" problem.

As an aside, I agree with Martin.  Insulting the developers doesn't help
anything.  We should be grateful to Netscape for choosing to support
OS/2 and continue to make it a viable alternative to other operating
systems.  It's hard enough to argue in favor of OS/2 with the current
level of support it has.  Imagine if we didn't have Netscape.  We should
be happy that Netscape allows their employees to participate in these
forums in a semi-official capacity.  Let's not drive them out with
rudeness and ignorance.  It's time to grow up folks.

Post by Brandon S. Allbery KF8 » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

+-----
| As an aside, I agree with Martin.  Insulting the developers doesn't help
| anything.  We should be grateful to Netscape for choosing to support
+--->8

Actually, I suspect the only choice involved on their part was related
to how much money IBM offered for it --- business is funny that way.  :-)

Notwithstanding, biting the hand that feeds you isn't a very good idea.

| level of support it has.  Imagine if we didn't have Netscape.  We should
| be happy that Netscape allows their employees to participate in these
| forums in a semi-official capacity.  Let's not drive them out with
+--->8

I believe I've seen 3 Netscape employees and one IBM employee (hey, a sign
of life at PSP!  I'm wondering how long before IBM fires him.... :-)

--

cleveland, ohio                mr/2 ice's rfc guru :-)

Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

Post by Colin L. Hilding » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:16:03:00 -0700 writes:

:>
[...]
:>> >
:>> > ------------------------------------------------------------
:>> > Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member
:>> > http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/
:>> >
:>> > We have many links of interest for sofware for OS/2, Linux, Dos, Windoze
:>> > as well as humor, food,
:>> > music, news, search, history, electronics and genealogy sites.
:>
:>
:>hmm, works for me on the english version.  Maybe the problem
:>is the language you are using.  Try switching languages,
:>nobody uses French anymore anyways.

<ROFL>

Colin L. Hildinger

The Ultimate OS/2 * Page
http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/games.html

http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/awe32.html

1. Netscape/2 2.02 Update...bulleted text glitch

I am not sure this will help, but here are a number of things I would
check:

1) Make sure you have selected Latin 1 on the Document encoding menu
under options.

2) Select French (Canada?) on the Language page under "Options--General
Preferences."

Here is an "e" with accent aigue, a "c" cedille, an "e" circonflex; and
and "e" grave. If these don't come through properly, my suggestions
won't help. They look fine in the editor.

?

Jeffrey Ford, Cleveland State University

2. X Terminals on a 8530

3. Netscape/2 2.02 update... bulleted text glitch

4. Is there an elegant check for being \input?

5. Netscape/2 2.02 Bullet Glitch Easy Fix

6. En Attendant Godot

7. Netscape 2.02 bullets and fonts

8. Irix 6.2 Needed

9. Netscape 2.02 updated 06/19/98 on Software Choice

10. Netscape 2.02 3175 netscape.exe 0001.0007d48f

11. Where to get updated 128-bit NS 2.02?

12. Netscape/2 2.02

13. Netscape 2.02 beta now officially available