Partition

Post by Kelbe » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:01:19

So I'd recommend you put aside expartw4 for the moment. Try to
reorganize your drive as follows:
1.the boot manager
2.the first primary partition (win-doze if you whish)
3.the Extended partition (which can spread up to the end of yr disk)
    Inside this extended partition you should have:
    OS/2
    Linux
    linux swapper
    Whatever Data partition(s) you may need

You can do this safely with Partition Magic. All partitions inside the
Extended partitions are logical partitions.
Keep in mind that linux is not pleased when moved around in the disk.
You  may have to re-run lilo. If you are not able to start OS/2 for
tailoring the boot manager to your needs, be also aware that PM 4 (not7)
allows you to access to this BM partition.

K.

> Hello!

>>Seems now that the newest expartw4 screwed up his install.. too bad

> Opsss I did not use expartw4 yet! I just repair file type with Ptedit!
> I tried to use expartw4 but could not copy files to floppy becasue the
> os2krnl is bigger then old one!

Partition

Post by William L. Hartzel » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:57:20

Sir:

> So I'd recommend you put aside expartw4 for the moment. Try to
> reorganize your drive as follows:
> 1.the boot manager
> 2.the first primary partition (win-doze if you whish)
> 3.the Extended partition (which can spread up to the end of yr disk)
>    Inside this extended partition you should have:
>    OS/2
>    Linux
>    linux swapper
>    Whatever Data partition(s) you may need

> You can do this safely with Partition Magic. All partitions inside the
> Extended partitions are logical partitions.
> Keep in mind that linux is not pleased when moved around in the disk.
> You  may have to re-run lilo. If you are not able to start OS/2 for
> tailoring the boot manager to your needs, be also aware that PM 4 (not7)
> allows you to access to this BM partition.

You need to beware of the fact that the Windows partition is fat32.
Without expartw4, that partition will not be seen and OS/2 will install
as if the logical partition that it is on is C, which will be screwed
when he updates his system with any fixpack past 9.  With expartw4 there
from the git-go, OS/2 will see his partition (in your example) as D. and
all will be well.  And The 05 and 0f extended partition type will be a
moot issue.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Partition

Post by Wayne » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:22:15

> Hello!

>>Sorry, PM does not change partition type to 0F unless you anwser 'yes'
>>to the proposed modification. Furthermore, you can ptedit the xtended
>>partition to reinstate 05 instead of 0F. No use of goggling around to
>>find a fix..

> I just used Ptedit and change typo 0F zo 05. Now I could see os/ in
> Boot manager but unfotunately under anothjer letter :((((

> My OS/2 is installed on disk F:
> Now ir appear in Boot Manager under letter E:
> I tried to boot but when it need to install video driver it say that
> cold not find drivers!

I agree with other's suggestions about how best to set up your hard
drive partitions, but as a quick & dirty fix you could just add an empty
1-cylinder primary partition after the windows partition (using
Partition Magic) to force the OS/2 letter to F:.

Partition

Post by Philipp » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:12:57

Mr Hartzell
Correct. In my suggestion the C: partition has to be fat16, at least for
the first Win-Doze install. Later on he can upgrade the C: partition to
fat32 after he has installed expartw4 or another equivalent on OS/2 (I
use a Fat32 package by Henk Kelder, found on Hobbes I guess)

K.

> Sir:

>> So I'd recommend you put aside expartw4 for the moment. Try to
>> reorganize your drive as follows:
>> 1.the boot manager
>> 2.the first primary partition (win-doze if you whish)
>> 3.the Extended partition (which can spread up to the end of yr disk)
>>    Inside this extended partition you should have:
>>    OS/2
>>    Linux
>>    linux swapper
>>    Whatever Data partition(s) you may need

>> You can do this safely with Partition Magic. All partitions inside the
>> Extended partitions are logical partitions.
>> Keep in mind that linux is not pleased when moved around in the disk.
>> You  may have to re-run lilo. If you are not able to start OS/2 for
>> tailoring the boot manager to your needs, be also aware that PM 4
>> (not7) allows you to access to this BM partition.

> You need to beware of the fact that the Windows partition is fat32.
> Without expartw4, that partition will not be seen and OS/2 will install
> as if the logical partition that it is on is C, which will be screwed
> when he updates his system with any fixpack past 9.  With expartw4 there
> from the git-go, OS/2 will see his partition (in your example) as D. and
> all will be well.  And The 05 and 0f extended partition type will be a
> moot issue.

Partition

Post by Du?an Golub » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:59:57

 Hello!

Quote:> > Seems now that the newest expartw4 screwed up his install.. too bad
> Opsss I did not use expartw4 yet! I just repair file type with Ptedit!

Problem is solved with expartw4!
Thanks to every one!

Best Regards
Dusan

Partition

Post by William L. Hartzel » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:43:11

Sir:

> Mr Hartzell
> Correct. In my suggestion the C: partition has to be fat16, at least for
> the first Win-Doze install. Later on he can upgrade the C: partition to
> fat32 after he has installed expartw4 or another equivalent on OS/2 (I
> use a Fat32 package by Henk Kelder, found on Hobbes I guess)

Please note that expartw4 does not allow access to the contents of a
FAT32 partition, only that it allows the system to see that partition
type and count it in the drive letter assignment scheme.  One needs the
fat32 file system driver installed if they wish access.  I would suggest
the new fat32 driver as it allows EAs to be added and be compatible with
  the newish NT file system EAs.
---
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Partition

Post by Mike Kingsto » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:46:00

>Sir:

>> So I'd recommend you put aside expartw4 for the moment. Try to
>>reorganize your drive as follows:
>> 1.the boot manager
>> 2.the first primary partition (win-doze if you whish)
>> 3.the Extended partition (which can spread up to the end of yr disk)
>>    Inside this extended partition you should have:
>>    OS/2
>>    Linux
>>    linux swapper
>>    Whatever Data partition(s) you may need
>>  You can do this safely with Partition Magic. All partitions inside
>>the Extended partitions are logical partitions.
>> Keep in mind that linux is not pleased when moved around in the disk.
>>You  may have to re-run lilo. If you are not able to start OS/2 for
>>tailoring the boot manager to your needs, be also aware that PM 4
>>(not7)  allows you to access to this BM partition.

>You need to beware of the fact that the Windows partition is fat32.
>Without expartw4, that partition will not be seen and OS/2 will install
>as if the logical partition that it is on is C, which will be screwed
>when he updates his system with any fixpack past 9.  With expartw4
>there from the git-go,

"the git-go" - you mean applied to Warp 4 with no fixpacks applied? If
that's possible, I could have made my installation of Warp 4 and XP in
logical partitions a lot simpler, I think.

Incidentally, fixpack application requires a primary partition (Fat 16
only?) as workspace - at least it ran like a dog without, and perfectly
with.

Tough about the drive letters I now have, but I'm getting used to it and
both OS/2 and XP work fine.

Thanks for all the help in these pages.

Quote:> OS/2 will see his partition (in your example) as D. and all will be
>well. And The 05 and 0f extended partition type will be a moot issue.

Michael J Kingston - Researching Family History
News of surname DIGWEED always welcomed
< To reply, please remove my initials from address >

Partition

Post by William L. Hartzel » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:43:42

Sir:

>> Sir:

>>> So I'd recommend you put aside expartw4 for the moment. Try to
>>> reorganize your drive as follows:
>>> 1.the boot manager
>>> 2.the first primary partition (win-doze if you whish)
>>> 3.the Extended partition (which can spread up to the end of yr disk)
>>>    Inside this extended partition you should have:
>>>    OS/2
>>>    Linux
>>>    linux swapper
>>>    Whatever Data partition(s) you may need
>>>  You can do this safely with Partition Magic. All partitions inside
>>> the Extended partitions are logical partitions.
>>> Keep in mind that linux is not pleased when moved around in the disk.
>>> You  may have to re-run lilo. If you are not able to start OS/2 for
>>> tailoring the boot manager to your needs, be also aware that PM 4
>>> (not7)  allows you to access to this BM partition.

>> You need to beware of the fact that the Windows partition is fat32.
>> Without expartw4, that partition will not be seen and OS/2 will
>> install as if the logical partition that it is on is C, which will be
>> screwed when he updates his system with any fixpack past 9.  With
>> expartw4 there from the git-go,

> "the git-go" - you mean applied to Warp 4 with no fixpacks applied? If
> that's possible, I could have made my installation of Warp 4 and XP in
> logical partitions a lot simpler, I think.

Yes, he will have a mix of parts, which will cry for the install of
fixpack 15 or later for OS/2.
Quote:

> Incidentally, fixpack application requires a primary partition (Fat 16
> only?) as workspace - at least it ran like a dog without, and perfectly
> with.

Maybe with XP, but not with OS/2.  Does not XP have fat32 drivers built-in?
Quote:

Post by Mike Kingsto » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:34:46

>Sir:

>>> Sir:

>>> You need to beware of the fact that the Windows partition is fat32.
>>>Without expartw4, that partition will not be seen and OS/2 will
>>>install as if the logical partition that it is on is C, which will be
>>>screwed when he updates his system with any fixpack past 9.  With
>>>expartw4 there from the git-go,
>>   "the git-go" - you mean applied to Warp 4 with no fixpacks applied?
>>If that's possible, I could have made my installation of Warp 4 and XP
>>logical partitions a lot simpler, I think.
>Yes, he will have a mix of parts, which will cry for the install of
>fixpack 15 or later for OS/2.
>>  Incidentally, fixpack application requires a primary partition (Fat
>>16 only?) as workspace - at least it ran like a dog without, and
>>perfectly with.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that OS/2 is installed in a logical
partition, as is XP. I would like to have Win98 installed, too, for
migration purposes - hence putting OS/2 in a logical and keeping a
primary up my sleeve. Logical is probably the best option for XP, I
think - nervous about the 1024 cylinder boundary and frankly worn out
experimenting. Works fine so far.

Quote:>Maybe with XP, but not with OS/2.  Does not XP have fat32 drivers built-in?
>>  Tough about the drive letters I now have, but I'm getting used to it
>>and both OS/2 and XP work fine.
>>  Thanks for all the help in these pages.

>>> OS/2 will see his partition (in your example) as D. and all will be
>>>well. And The 05 and 0f extended partition type will be a moot issue.

-- Michael J Kingston - Researching Family History
News of surname DIGWEED always welcomed
< To reply, please remove my initials from address >

Partition

Post by Kelbe » Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:11:09

Mike,
According to what I mentionned ref my disk setup, the primary fat16
partition actually contains W98SE. the other OS'es (OS/2 V4 and Linux,
on logical partitons) are in the extended part, as well as 2 non
bootable partitions, one fat16 and another fat32. Never had a problem in
applying OS/2 fixpacks (fp15 for the moment) maybe due to the fact that
the fat16 partition was indeed used for temp files when installing these
fixpacks. Never used/installed expartw4 either. I cannot imagine why XP
would complain while sitting in the xtended partition..
K.

>> Sir:

>>>   "the git-go" - you mean applied to Warp 4 with no fixpacks applied?
>>> If that's possible, I could have made my installation of Warp 4 and
>>> XP logical partitions a lot simpler, I think.

>> Yes, he will have a mix of parts, which will cry for the install of
>> fixpack 15 or later for OS/2.

>>>  Incidentally, fixpack application requires a primary partition (Fat
>>> 16 only?) as workspace - at least it ran like a dog without, and
>>> perfectly with.

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that OS/2 is installed in a logical
> partition, as is XP. I would like to have Win98 installed, too, for
> migration purposes - hence putting OS/2 in a logical and keeping a
> primary up my sleeve. Logical is probably the best option for XP, I
> think - nervous about the 1024 cylinder boundary and frankly worn out
> experimenting. Works fine so far.

>> Maybe with XP, but not with OS/2.  Does not XP have fat32 drivers
>> built-in?

>>>  Tough about the drive letters I now have, but I'm getting used to it
>>> and both OS/2 and XP work fine.
>>>  Thanks for all the help in these pages.

> -- Michael J Kingston - Researching Family History
> News of surname DIGWEED always welcomed
>  -------------------------------------------------
> < To reply, please remove my initials from address >
>  -------------------------------------------------

Partition

Post by William L. Hartzel » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:43:44

Sir:

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that OS/2 is installed in a logical
> partition, as is XP. I would like to have Win98 installed, too, for
> migration purposes - hence putting OS/2 in a logical and keeping a
> primary up my sleeve. Logical is probably the best option for XP, I
> think - nervous about the 1024 cylinder boundary and frankly worn out
>  experimenting. Works fine so far.

OS/2 does not require an extra partition formated fat.  You will need a
fat partition to hold XP's boot code, so a fat partition as primary is
okay.  You can install Win98 or nothing into it.  I believe that XP's
boot manager will boot OS/2, if you add OS/2 to it.  Later versions of
OS/2, the MCP or eCS versions, do not have a 1024 cylinder limit, nor
does XP.  But XP must have its boot manager below 1024.  OS/2, once
installed, can be booted by Airboot, XP's boot manager, or Lilo.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Partition

Post by Mike Kingsto » Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:17:06

>Sir:

>>   Sorry, I forgot to mention that OS/2 is installed in a logical
>>partition, as is XP. I would like to have Win98 installed, too, for
>>migration purposes - hence putting OS/2 in a logical and keeping a
>>primary up my sleeve. Logical is probably the best option for XP, I
>>think - nervous about the 1024 cylinder boundary and frankly worn out
>>  experimenting. Works fine so far.

>OS/2 does not require an extra partition formated fat.  You will need a
>fat partition to hold XP's boot code, so a fat partition as primary is
>okay. You can install Win98 or nothing into it.  I believe that XP's
>boot manager will boot OS/2, if you add OS/2 to it.  Later versions of
>OS/2, the MCP or eCS versions, do not have a 1024 cylinder limit, nor
>does XP.  But XP must have its boot manager below 1024.  OS/2, once
>installed, can be booted by Airboot, XP's boot manager, or Lilo.

Thanks for the detail. Appreciate it. I will file it for future
reference.
I don't have an extra partition formatted FAT for OS/2 to run. I created
one in my attempts to install Fixpack 15. Without the FAT partition, the
application of the fixpack ran slower and slower and slower, with the HD
light on my processor flicking on and off slowly. Maybe my OS/2
partition was too small to accommodate the buffering needs of the update
process. But providing a FAT partition (I just happened to make it a
primary - maybe that's a red herring) allowed the update to whiz along.
Crazy modern, up to date XP needing a partition for the boot code
(mine's NTFS) when good old OS/2 does not.
--
-- Michael J Kingston - Researching Family History
News of surname DIGWEED always welcomed
< To reply, please remove my initials from address >

Partition

Post by William L. Hartzel » Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:57:16

Sir:

>> Sir:

>>>   Sorry, I forgot to mention that OS/2 is installed in a logical
>>> partition, as is XP. I would like to have Win98 installed, too, for
>>> migration purposes - hence putting OS/2 in a logical and keeping a
>>> primary up my sleeve. Logical is probably the best option for XP, I
>>> think - nervous about the 1024 cylinder boundary and frankly worn out
>>>  experimenting. Works fine so far.

>> OS/2 does not require an extra partition formated fat.  You will need a
>> fat partition to hold XP's boot code, so a fat partition as primary is
>> okay. You can install Win98 or nothing into it.  I believe that XP's
>> boot manager will boot OS/2, if you add OS/2 to it.  Later versions of
>> OS/2, the MCP or eCS versions, do not have a 1024 cylinder limit, nor
>> does XP.  But XP must have its boot manager below 1024.  OS/2, once
>> installed, can be booted by Airboot, XP's boot manager, or Lilo.

> Thanks for the detail. Appreciate it. I will file it for future reference.
> I don't have an extra partition formatted FAT for OS/2 to run. I created
> one in my attempts to install Fixpack 15. Without the FAT partition, the
> application of the fixpack ran slower and slower and slower, with the HD
> light on my processor flicking on and off slowly. Maybe my OS/2
> partition was too small to accommodate the buffering needs of the update
> process. But providing a FAT partition (I just happened to make it a
> primary - maybe that's a red herring) allowed the update to whiz along.
> Crazy modern, up to date XP needing a partition for the boot code
> (mine's NTFS) when good old OS/2 does not.

One strange thing about the OS/2 version before eCS or MCP, you can
create a small boot partition of about 60 MiB below 1024 cylinder limit
and place the remainder of OS/2 code above.  It has been done, but not
by me.  Google for instructions if you wish to try this.  I think this
is the method used by XP.  The later versions of OS/2 use the int13x
extensions, thus the bios must support them for OS/2 to install above
the 1024 cylinder.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!