Giving more CPU time to a DOS box

Post by Brent S Noor » Sat, 13 Mar 1993 22:51:06

I'm running a Borland DOS compiler in a DOS box.  I want my compiles
to run fast fast fast, but they don't.  According to my CPU monitor
the DOS box gets, at most, about 25% of the processor time, while
what CPU monitor lists as IdleTime is even higher.  How can I get
a DOS box that is compiling to get closer to 100% of the CPU time?
I've already set IDLE_SENSITIVITY=100 and IDLE_SECONDS=10.  What
more can I do to give this DOS box more CPU during compiles?

Post by Ken Be » Sun, 14 Mar 1993 02:37:42

: I'm running a Borland DOS compiler in a DOS box.  I want my compiles
: to run fast fast fast, but they don't.  According to my CPU monitor
: the DOS box gets, at most, about 25% of the processor time, while
: what CPU monitor lists as IdleTime is even higher.  How can I get
: a DOS box that is compiling to get closer to 100% of the CPU time?
: I've already set IDLE_SENSITIVITY=100 and IDLE_SECONDS=10.  What
: more can I do to give this DOS box more CPU during compiles?

My solution: hold down the CONTROL key.  (Or shift, or alt...)

Running a >really< old version of Turbo C, compiling a little program
I'm working on, it'll take 2 minutes if I just hit compile.  However,
if I hold down CONTROL, it takes about 30 seconds.  Dunno if that'll
solve your problem, but I was certainly glad to have found that
"feature" (by accident, no less)!
--

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"  - MST3k | Learn.  Keep moving.
"Street person my responsibility."   -  Indigo Girls | Better yourself.