IBM Nowhere to be found at Comdex Canada 97

IBM Nowhere to be found at Comdex Canada 97

Post by David Carls » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi Folks..

Just returned from Comdex Canada/97 and needless to say I didn't see
an OS/2 product anywhere. I didn't even see IBM, Lotus or Apple, and
they wonder why Microsloth is killing them in the home market and NT
is doing so well?

It would have been nice to have them showing off Warp Server SMP and
ICS or the GoServer or even Domino flying along on a nice milti-CPU
machine and have a pile of their Network Computers around for people
to try out. Even demos of Java apps running in this scenario and on
stand-alone Warp machines would have drawn huge crowds since most of
the hype around languages is now Java based.

Anyone have any suggestion on who I could contact via snail mail to
express my disappointment?

David

IBM Nowhere to be found at Comdex Canada 97

Post by Ronald D. Stephen » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Please email directly to Lou Gerstner and then follow up with a
certified letter. We are trying to get thousands from here to do so.

--

Post by Ethan Hall-Beye » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

//Just returned from Comdex Canada/97 and needless to say I didn't see
//an OS/2 product anywhere. I didn't even see IBM, Lotus or Apple, and
//they wonder why Microsloth is killing them in the home market and NT
//is doing so well?

Um... I didn't go to Comdex/Canada this year but, if it's like it has been
in the past, I'll just assume you only went to SkyDome and WindowsWorld and
didn't actually go to "Comdex".

In years past IBM/Lotus/etc all the big players were in the main convention
centre, whereas Microsoft and their cheerleaders were off stuck in SkyDome
for WindowsWorld (in 1996 there really wasn't anyone of note there except
Microsoft.)

I might be wrong with all this, though. If IBM truly decided to not host a
booth, well... eeek!

--
/  ,__,        | Ethan Hall-Beyer [UofWaterloo AM/CS JT HCO (3A)]

 ((\ /))       | Views expressed are my own
=`\w=w/'====== | Email subject "send public pgp" for public PGP key

Post by gilbe.. » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> On Tue, 15 Jul 97 14:55:38 -0500, "Ethan Hall-Beyer"

> >//Just returned from Comdex Canada/97 and needless to say I didn't see
> >//an OS/2 product anywhere. I didn't even see IBM, Lotus or Apple, and
> >//they wonder why Microsloth is killing them in the home market and NT
> >//is doing so well?

> >Um... I didn't go to Comdex/Canada this year but, if it's like it has been
> >in the past, I'll just assume you only went to SkyDome and WindowsWorld and
> >didn't actually go to "Comdex".

> >In years past IBM/Lotus/etc all the big players were in the main convention
> >centre, whereas Microsoft and their cheerleaders were off stuck in SkyDome
> >for WindowsWorld (in 1996 there really wasn't anyone of note there except
> >Microsoft.)

> Comdexx/Windows World/Connected Computing were all at the Toronto
> Metro Convention Centre. And the booth that IBM was advertised as
> having, #3029 was in fact INTEL!!!!

> >I might be wrong with all this, though. If IBM truly decided to not host a
> >booth, well... eeek!

> Yes, I said that as well.

> David

So is that why they have committed to atend WarpStock, to make up for
Comdex Canada?  Info at:  http://www.warpstock.org

Gilbert

Post by David Carls » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 15 Jul 97 14:55:38 -0500, "Ethan Hall-Beyer"

>//Just returned from Comdex Canada/97 and needless to say I didn't see
>//an OS/2 product anywhere. I didn't even see IBM, Lotus or Apple, and
>//they wonder why Microsloth is killing them in the home market and NT
>//is doing so well?

>Um... I didn't go to Comdex/Canada this year but, if it's like it has been
>in the past, I'll just assume you only went to SkyDome and WindowsWorld and
>didn't actually go to "Comdex".

>In years past IBM/Lotus/etc all the big players were in the main convention
>centre, whereas Microsoft and their cheerleaders were off stuck in SkyDome
>for WindowsWorld (in 1996 there really wasn't anyone of note there except
>Microsoft.)

Comdexx/Windows World/Connected Computing were all at the Toronto
Metro Convention Centre. And the booth that IBM was advertised as
having, #3029 was in fact INTEL!!!!

Quote:>I might be wrong with all this, though. If IBM truly decided to not host a
>booth, well... eeek!

Yes, I said that as well.

David

Personal: http://www.tyenet.com/users/carlson/index.html
Business:http://www.tyenet.com/users/carlson/computer_consulting/index.html

Post by anti-s.. » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi Folks..

>> Just returned from Comdex Canada/97 and needless to say I didn't see
>> an OS/2 product anywhere. I didn't even see IBM, Lotus or Apple, and
>> they wonder why Microsloth is killing them in the home market and NT
>> is doing so well?

>> It would have been nice to have them showing off Warp Server SMP and
>> ICS or the GoServer or even Domino flying along on a nice milti-CPU
>> machine and have a pile of their Network Computers around for people
>> to try out. Even demos of Java apps running in this scenario and on
>> stand-alone Warp machines would have drawn huge crowds since most of
>> the hype around languages is now Java based.

>> Anyone have any suggestion on who I could contact via snail mail to
>> express my disappointment?

>> David

   Having been on the Team OS/2 SWAT team at Comdex Canada since they
started having Team OS/2 SWAT Teams at Comdex Canada, I think I can offer
some insight.

   Compared to other Comdex shows, Comdex Canada is a sham for companies like
IBM.  Comdex Canada lets anyone who wants to see the show come and see it,
and the organizers also let every minor shareware and comsumer software
development or sales company have a booth.

   And at the incredible prices that Comdex Canada charges for booth space (IBM has
paid well over $1M just for the floor-space at previous Comdex's here in Toronto), IBM
just doesn't get the bang for their buck.  If IBM is going to spend this kind of money for
a show, it will want to be certain that it is demonstrating to their target audiences:
remember the B in IBM still stands for business.

   And Comdex Canada doesn't allow for this.  Previous Comdex's in Canada
have been more like indoor markets than a corporate computer trade show.
The organizers have let in people who are * (even though the passes
have a minimum age requirement), people who have nothing to do with the
industry, and have turned their heads while companies have broken the rules
as to selling product at Comdex - large companies like IBM, Novell or Microsoft
aren't allowed to directly sell products at Comdex, but every little shareware
vendor makes a killing at the show.

   Thus, Comdex Canada is nothing but a joke, and I don't blame IBM for not
being there.  In fact, for the very first time since it's inception here in Toronto,
I wasn't there either, for much the same reasons that IBM wasn't (or at least
the reasons I suspect they weren't there for).  A show like Comdex Canada
can run into the millions for IBM to attend - for the booth space, the booth
itself, the equipment, the personel to man the booth, and the moving/setup
equipment to get the booth setup and transported.

   To spend this kind of money on people who come to see the latest in home
computing entertainment - the latest games, the latest low-end MS OS, etc.,
is a waste for a company like IBM.

   I, for one, applaud IBM for standing up to the people who run Comdex Canada.
Maybe if more companies followed suit the organizers would clean up their act,
and focus back on the show's original target audience.

   Besides which, IBM now has several million dollars they didn't spend which
can now be used to promote OS/2 in more productive ways...:)

Brad Barclay,
OS/2 Development Director,
ComputerLink Online Inc. (Internet Direct/TUCOWS/JOYCOM)

---------------
From the OS/2 WARP v4 Desktop of Brad Barclay.

Finger for Public PGP Key.  [ ] VoiceType Dictated.

NOTE:  The "From" address specified in this posting,

address will be collected and utilized by ComputerLink Online Inc. for
spam-blocking.  By spamming this address, you'll DECREASE your potential
audience.  Sometimes, the consumer CAN regain control from greedy hedonists :)

1. Comdex Canada and IBM

  Anyone know why IBM/Lotus didn't show at Comdex Canada this year
(No stupid OS/2 is dead comments please...)..?

CAB

2. Keyboard on A3000

3. SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

4. TKG leved

5. "COMDEX!COMDEX!!COMDEX!!"

6. directive language for pic

7. TCP's Best of Comdex Canada awards