Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by Massaro Aless » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi there,
I'd like to develop IFS drivers for Macintosh and Linux file systems, but I
need readable infos on both of them.
Linux sources are OK and I have them, but they're not just what I call handy
for the task.
On the other hand Macintosh filesystem seems to be quite an unreachable
mystery.
Any info welcome.
Thanks and see ya!

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by mwi.. » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 on 27 Nov 1995 10:41:06 GMT,

Quote:>Hi there,
>I'd like to develop IFS drivers for Macintosh and Linux file systems, but I
>need readable infos on both of them.
>Linux sources are OK and I have them, but they're not just what I call handy
>for the task.
>On the other hand Macintosh filesystem seems to be quite an unreachable
>mystery.
>Any info welcome.
>Thanks and see ya!

Hi,

The Linux ext2fs IFS already exists  (it's on ftp-os2.nmsu.edu in
/os2/diskutil/ext2_04b.zip).
I haven't heard of a mac IFS yet, but I know there are 2 things that could
prevent such an IFS to be written (at least for floppies) :
- There's a hardware issue that prevent some kind of MAC floppies to be read
  on a PC floppy drive.
- There's a bug in OS/2 that prevents the system to allocate a drive letter
  for floppy drives that don't have a valid DOS boot sector (OS/2 makes some
  strong assumptions on the format of floppy diskettes)

Hope this helps,

Matthieu Willm                        I do *NOT* speak for IBM ...

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by Adam Mega » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I haven't heard of a mac IFS yet, but I know there are 2 things that could
>prevent such an IFS to be written (at least for floppies) :
>- There's a hardware issue that prevent some kind of MAC floppies to be read
>  on a PC floppy drive.

That only applies to the Mac 800k disks (NOT the 1.44MB's). The 800's aren't
used too often any more, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:>- There's a bug in OS/2 that prevents the system to allocate a drive letter
>  for floppy drives that don't have a valid DOS boot sector (OS/2 makes some
>  strong assumptions on the format of floppy diskettes)

Yeah, I think you're right. I don't even know if WARP can use any FS other
than SuperFAT for floppies. I just wish OS/2 would treat floppies like
removable hard drives.... It makes life so much easier.

-----------------------

WebPage: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ka/kalessin/adam.html
Why snooze with microsloth windoze? GET WARPED!

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by Ian S. Nels » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Yeah, I think you're right. I don't even know if WARP can use any FS other
>than SuperFAT for floppies. I just wish OS/2 would treat floppies like
>removable hard drives.... It makes life so much easier.

You can use HPOFS (optical file system for worms and mo drives) with floppies.
you take a hit in the amount of data they can store (1.44s get reduced to
something like 1.25) but you get long names and all the good stuff.  I'm not
sure how public HPOFS is.  I think it would be useful to a good segment of the
OS/2 population though.

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by MCDER.. » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>You can use HPOFS (optical file system for worms and mo drives) with floppies.
>you take a hit in the amount of data they can store (1.44s get reduced to
>something like 1.25) but you get long names and all the good stuff.  I'm not
>sure how public HPOFS is.  I think it would be useful to a good segment of the
>OS/2 population though.

I would really like to know how to get a copy of this, if anyone knows.

-- Rob McDermid

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by Dan Axelr » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

:
[...]

I think that's a "feature" of OS2DASD.DMD. As far as I got from some literature
OS2DASD.DMD and OS2CDROM.DMD are the ones that take care of drive letters. They
use .ADD drivers to get to the actual hardware (.ADD's are floppy controller
drivers, scsi, and IDE etc...), and they use IFS's on top to store actual
file info.

It is theoretically possible to create and aditional OS2REMOV.DMD to support
things like ZIP-drives and CD-R's. Also floppy support and LAN drives can be
controlled by it. This would mean that a floppy is no longer a removable HD
and Mac FS can be implemented.
BTW: The coolest thing would be if a drive letter was created at the time
you insert a floppy drive, CD-ROM, etc...

But my guess is that it's not done, because too much in the actual OS
would have to be changed to support something like that nicely.

ANY TAKERS ON REWRITING OS2DASD ??? (IMB hint, hint :) )

:
:
:-----------------------

:WebPage: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ka/kalessin/adam.html
:Why snooze with microsloth windoze? GET WARPED!
:

Dan Akselrod
------------
http://menger.eecs.stevens-tech.edu/~danax

Mac & Linux filesystems

Post by Ian S. Nels » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>You can use HPOFS (optical file system for worms and mo drives) with floppies.
>>you take a hit in the amount of data they can store (1.44s get reduced to
>>something like 1.25) but you get long names and all the good stuff.  I'm not
>>sure how public HPOFS is.  I think it would be useful to a good segment of the
>>OS/2 population though.
>I would really like to know how to get a copy of this, if anyone knows.

I got it internally when I was working for IBM.  You might be able to pull it
off IBM's BBS or soemthing.  They should throw it in as standard equipment if
you ask me. Opticals and removables are becoming quite popular and I dig the
idea of putting files with real names on disks via scripts or CLI.  I also
was interested in any possiblities this FS had for caching floppies.

1. Linux filesystem for OS/2

I am considering porting the ext2 filesystem over to OS/2 as an IFS, and
I would like to find out:

(a) Is there enough support that this would be used at all?

(b) Are there any OS/2 developers that would like to join me in this
    project?

I have set Follow-ups to comp.os.linux.misc.
--
It's fascinating to think that all around us there's an invisible world we
can't even see. I'm speaking, of course, of the World of the Invisible Scary

2. "STOP 0x7B - Inaccessible boot device" on dynamic disc

3. Linux filesystem driver

4. IEEE COMPSAC 90

5. ext2-ifs: Linux filesystem

6. looking for OS9 distrib

7. CP/M filesystem for Linux?

8. CIS's Navigator Wanted

9. RBF Filesystem (v0.53) for Linux

10. OS9 filesystem driver for Linux/Unix

11. OS/2 MAC parallel port network driver compatible w/ Linux's PLIP ?

12. OS/2, Mac, Linux users IMMATURE!