IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Lorne Sunl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There was an article on Warp Cast that spoke about this but
the URL quoted led nowhere.

I did a search of the IBM site  and came up with this item

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

That is all on  one line (for the URL impaired).

Read it and CHEER...

--
Lorne Sunley

Post by David T. Johnso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> There was an article on Warp Cast that spoke about this but
> the URL quoted led nowhere.

> I did a search of the IBM site  and came up with this item

> http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
> 32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

> That is all on  one line (for the URL impaired).

I followed the link.  Fabulous News.  The link should be:

http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN9...

In case you can't see the link, IBM is announcing that they will release
annual OS/2 updates which will be called "Convenience Packs."  The first
convenience pack will be released on November 30, 2000 and will include
the uni-processor kernel, latest base device drivers, OS/2 Warp
Developer Kit, Java 1.1.8, DVD, USB Support, Remote Initial Program Load
Support (RIPL), SpeedStep Power Management (important for laptops),
Localized Win-OS2, Boot Manager, and video enhancement for NeoMagic, S3
Savage, Trident, and Matrox G200.

But the really amazing news is:

"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
December 31 of the following year."

IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
in all languages supported by Warp 4.

Quote:> Read it and CHEER...

Post by Charles Christacopoulo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> There was an article on Warp Cast that spoke about this but
> the URL quoted led nowhere.

> I did a search of the IBM site  and came up with this item

> http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
> 32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

> That is all on  one line (for the URL impaired).

> Read it and CHEER...

> --
> Lorne Sunley

As they put more and more through software choice can they be using this
as a means of measuring customers commitment to OS/2.  ie. are we prepared
to put our money up front ?
2nd clever thought of the day :-)  (The 1st was finding a load of bugs and
errors in a custom NT application.  It was not difficult to find the
faults after I installed 40 times).

Charles

--

remove "_removeme" to reply.
Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Lorne Sunl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:16:47, Charles Christacopoulos

> > There was an article on Warp Cast that spoke about this but
> > the URL quoted led nowhere.

> > I did a search of the IBM site  and came up with this item

> > http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
> > 32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

> > That is all on  one line (for the URL impaired).

> > Read it and CHEER...

> > --
> > Lorne Sunley

> As they put more and more through software choice can they be using this
> as a means of measuring customers commitment to OS/2.  ie. are we prepared
> to put our money up front ?
> 2nd clever thought of the day :-)  (The 1st was finding a load of bugs and
> errors in a custom NT application.  It was not difficult to find the
> faults after I installed 40 times).

> Charles

I expect so (the commitment that is). if the 4700 odd people who
voted for OS/2 as the second best available client operating system
on the http://www.deja.com poll put up $100.00 per year, that
will pay for some of the SOHO support. I looked at the poll today
to check the large number of voters. The reference is still on the
http://www.ibm.com/warp page. Unfortunately we dropped to the
number 2 slot after the Amiga OS.

The release commits to annual issue of the "Convienence Packages"
for the next two years, so a two year subscription appears to
provide two separate CD's with the refreshed code. Not a bad deal. I
have
contacted IBM to get CDN$ pricing for the service.

--
Lorne Sunley

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by John Merryweather Coope » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ye old "south of the border" (USD's) would be nice too . . . :)

jmc
=========================

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:16:47, Charles Christacopoulos

> > > There was an article on Warp Cast that spoke about this but
> > > the URL quoted led nowhere.

> > > I did a search of the IBM site  and came up with this item

> > > http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
> > > 32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

> > > That is all on  one line (for the URL impaired).

> > > Read it and CHEER...

> > > --
> > > Lorne Sunley

> > As they put more and more through software choice can they be using this
> > as a means of measuring customers commitment to OS/2.  ie. are we
prepared
> > to put our money up front ?
> > 2nd clever thought of the day :-)  (The 1st was finding a load of bugs
and
> > errors in a custom NT application.  It was not difficult to find the
> > faults after I installed 40 times).

> > Charles

> I expect so (the commitment that is). if the 4700 odd people who
> voted for OS/2 as the second best available client operating system
> on the http://www.deja.com poll put up $100.00 per year, that
> will pay for some of the SOHO support. I looked at the poll today
> to check the large number of voters. The reference is still on the
> http://www.ibm.com/warp page. Unfortunately we dropped to the
> number 2 slot after the Amiga OS.

> The release commits to annual issue of the "Convienence Packages"
> for the next two years, so a two year subscription appears to
> provide two separate CD's with the refreshed code. Not a bad deal. I
> have
> contacted IBM to get CDN$ pricing for the service.

> --
> Lorne Sunley

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Charles Hunt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>But the really amazing news is:
>"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
>is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
>Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
>December 31 of the following year."

I read that as "there is no charge beyond the software choice
subscription fee". ( Which is not a bad think IMHO )
Is that how you took it?

Quote:>IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
>to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
>in all languages supported by Warp 4.

How about someone posting this against that ZDnet article
that just came out?

Charles

Quote:>> Read it and CHEER...

>> --
>> Lorne Sunley

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Lorne Sunl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >But the really amazing news is:

> >"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
> >is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
> >Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
> >December 31 of the following year."

> I read that as "there is no charge beyond the software choice
> subscription fee". ( Which is not a bad think IMHO )
> Is that how you took it?

> >IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
> >to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
> >in all languages supported by Warp 4.

> How about someone posting this against that ZDnet article
> that just came out?

> Charles

I Posted the URL in a comment to the story,

--
Lorne Sunley

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by K.-P. Kirchdoerf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:01:47 -0400, David T. Johnson

>"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
>is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
>Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
>December 31 of the following year."

>IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.

Read the announcement carefully!

"Program support offers a method of reporting code-related problems for
the Conveniences Packages for IBM OS/2 Warp 4 and IBM OS/2 Warp Server
for e-business. The Convenience Packages will be provided annually over the
next two years with the first Convenience Package planned for
November 30, 2000. Support will be provided for each annual Convenience
Package effective with the initial availability through December 31 of the
following year."

We will definitely see to updates until 4Q 2001 and one year more suppport.
Nothing said about the time after 2002.

No doubt the good news are the new client, even still will be named Warp4,
and the distribution via Software Choice _and_ CD. That's what Software
Choice promised long ago and never really realized until now.

kp

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Brad Bens » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 - snip -
] Unfortunately we dropped to the
] number 2 slot after the Amiga OS.

 - snip -

Unfortunately, that speaks volumes about the value of that poll -
Amiga OS is #1, and yet I can't think of a single developer or user
that actually uses it.

Brad Benson
Sr. Software Engineer, CDS, Inc.
CP-ASMEL/IA, PA-28-180 N44789
"When I press my face against the frosted shower stall,
I see stuff through the glass I don't recognize at all." - tmbg.

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by David T. Johnso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >But the really amazing news is:

> >"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
> >is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
> >Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
> >December 31 of the following year."

> I read that as "there is no charge beyond the software choice
> subscription fee". ( Which is not a bad think IMHO )
> Is that how you took it?

Yes, it looks like IBM will give you two new CD-ROM updates during the
two-year software choice subscription period.
Quote:

> >IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
> >to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
> >in all languages supported by Warp 4.

> How about someone posting this against that ZDnet article
> that just came out?

> Charles

> >> Read it and CHEER...

> >> --
> >> Lorne Sunley

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by K.-P. Kirchdoerf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:17:38 GMT, Lorne Sunley

>I expect so (the commitment that is). if the 4700 odd people who
>voted for OS/2 as the second best available client operating system
>on the http://www.deja.com poll put up $100.00 per year, that
>will pay for some of the SOHO support.

You don't expect reasonable support for $470.000, don't you?
Those are the estimated costs of less then eight workers in
the support.

Quote:

>The release commits to annual issue of the "Convienence Packages"
>for the next two years, so a two year subscription appears to
>provide two separate CD's with the refreshed code. Not a bad deal. I
>have
>contacted IBM to get CDN$ pricing for the service.

The deal is good, as it's always been with OS/2 for SOHO users :)

kp

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Lorne Sunl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:17:38 GMT, Lorne Sunley

> >I expect so (the commitment that is). if the 4700 odd people who
> >voted for OS/2 as the second best available client operating system
> >on the http://www.deja.com poll put up $100.00 per year, that
> >will pay for some of the SOHO support.

> You don't expect reasonable support for $470.000, don't you?
> Those are the estimated costs of less then eight workers in
> the support.

I didn't say "reasonable" I said it would pay for "some" of
the SOHO support. As always, we (the SOHO users) are
paying for a small portion of the total support costs, with
the "big business" clients paying the bulk.

With an updated client, there is always the possibility
of Warp 3 users upgrading and "fond dream" new users
coming into the fold...

Quote:

> >The release commits to annual issue of the "Convienence Packages"
> >for the next two years, so a two year subscription appears to
> >provide two separate CD's with the refreshed code. Not a bad deal. I
> >have
> >contacted IBM to get CDN$ pricing for the service.

> The deal is good, as it's always been with OS/2 for SOHO users :)

> kp

For the Warp 4 client Software Choice subscription, the price
in CDN$ for a two year subscription is $374.00 which is $172.00
per year. I would say this is affordable.

For the WSeB Passport Advantage the price in CDN$ is $1,252,00
per year or 2 years for $1,752.00 which is a tad steep for a SOHO
user. Especially when you have to get a "10 point minimum"
for Passport Advantage which translates to two (2) - two year
Passport Advantage contracts. a total of $3,504.00. Of course
this gets you much more in the way of support.

--
Lorne Sunley

Post by J. N. Pfistere » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I followed the link.  Fabulous News.  The link should be:

>http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN9...

>In case you can't see the link, IBM is announcing that they will release
>annual OS/2 updates which will be called "Convenience Packs."  The first
>convenience pack will be released on November 30, 2000 and will include
>the uni-processor kernel, latest base device drivers, OS/2 Warp
>Developer Kit, Java 1.1.8, DVD, USB Support, Remote Initial Program Load
>Support (RIPL), SpeedStep Power Management (important for laptops),
>Localized Win-OS2, Boot Manager, and video enhancement for NeoMagic, S3
>Savage, Trident, and Matrox G200.

>But the really amazing news is:

>"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
>is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
>Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
>December 31 of the following year."

>IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
>to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
>in all languages supported by Warp 4.

>> Read it and CHEER...

Excellent!

The way I read it, the "no additional charge" refers to having already
subscribed to Software Choice or similar payment-required packages.

That's fine with me.  I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth out
of the initial purchase price, and would be quite willing to pay to
support a continuing committment by IBM.  In fact, I tried to subscribe
to Software Choice at the end of 1999, and was told that it had been
withdrawn.

Anybody know how, where and what package to subscribe to?

Jack P.

IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

Post by Lorne Sunl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I followed the link.  Fabulous News.  The link should be:

> >http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN9...

> >In case you can't see the link, IBM is announcing that they will release
> >annual OS/2 updates which will be called "Convenience Packs."  The first
> >convenience pack will be released on November 30, 2000 and will include
> >the uni-processor kernel, latest base device drivers, OS/2 Warp
> >Developer Kit, Java 1.1.8, DVD, USB Support, Remote Initial Program Load
> >Support (RIPL), SpeedStep Power Management (important for laptops),
> >Localized Win-OS2, Boot Manager, and video enhancement for NeoMagic, S3
> >Savage, Trident, and Matrox G200.

> >But the really amazing news is:

> >"The first Convenience Package is planned for November 30, 2000. There
> >is no additional charge.  Support will be provided for each annual
> >Convenience Package effective with the initial availability through
> >December 31 of the following year."

> >IBM is committing to supporting OS/2 indefinitely.  So much for trying
> >to "kill" it.  Heh, heh.  They are also providing convenience packages
> >in all languages supported by Warp 4.

> >> Read it and CHEER...

> Excellent!

> The way I read it, the "no additional charge" refers to having already
> subscribed to Software Choice or similar payment-required packages.

> That's fine with me.  I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth out
> of the initial purchase price, and would be quite willing to pay to
> support a continuing committment by IBM.  In fact, I tried to subscribe
> to Software Choice at the end of 1999, and was told that it had been
> withdrawn.

> Anybody know how, where and what package to subscribe to?

> Jack P.

For Warp 4 Software Choice Subscription the fellow I was talking
to at IBM said that number 4070489 is the one you want.

This was the Canadian version and I don't
know if the number is different for other countries.

--
Lorne Sunley

Post by R.W. Hutchins » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=LZ0pO0x5OqMXq81USenGnN93
>32&request=announcements&parms=H%5f200%2d082&xhi=announcements%5e&xfr=

        I wonder: could this be "in addition" to the Rumoured Warp 5 client? Or does
this terminate the Warp 5 client rumours?
"I would predict that there are far greater mistakes waiting
to be made by someone with your obvious talent for it."
Orac to Vila. [City at the Edge of the World.]

1. IBM announces continued support and features for OS/2

From WarpCast:

November 30th but it will be the current client plus FixPaks or WSeB
plus FixPaks.

Check it out at:

  http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=3DH_200-082

I couldn't get at the announcement via the link provided but you
can get at it via:

http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/

Then select link
IBMLink->
Annoucements->
Last Announcement Day (last updated April 11, 2000)->
200-082 20000411 Continuing Support and Features for IBM OS/2 and ...

George

2. Siemens Gigaset 3070 isdn

3. IBM announces continuing OS/2 support

4. Stockpiling Fuel

5. owner-list and list-request not functioning

6. IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

7. mdlView functions

8. IBM Announces support of purchasers of MS SDK for OS/2 2.0

9. 7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

10. ANNOUNCE: ImageMap support for IBM EWS GoServe v1.20

11. Corel to continue OS/2 Support

12. TUCOWS will continue to support OS/2