IBM/Lotus increases Microsoft Support

Post by J. Li » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet Explorer
4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration" between
Explorer 4.0 and the upcoming release of Lotus Notes. Under the agreement, the
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 will be added to the Lotus Notes 4.6 client
package.

Internet Explorer also will be added to Lotus' forthcoming SmartSuite, an
integrated suite of desktop applications, soon after Internet Explorer is
available.

The two companies plan to ensure strong support of Microsoft's Component
Object Model in Lotus applications.

Does anyone still wonder what happened to SmartSuite 97 for OS/2 or why
Netscape beyond V2.2 is so slow in coming?

|                   Yes, I'm an OS/2 Warp Home User!                    |
|  Abandoned by IBM, Ignored by Micro$oft and 99% of Software Vendors.  |
|           OS/2 Warp - Still the best 32-bit Operating System -        |
|                           Inspite of IBM!                             |
|                                                                       |
|                               OS who?                                 |
|                                \|||/                                  |
|                                {o o}                                  |
----------------------------OOo---(_)--oOO-------------------------------

Post by josep » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet Explorer
> 4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration" between
> Explorer 4.0 and the upcoming release of Lotus Notes. Under the agreement, the
> Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 will be added to the Lotus Notes 4.6 client
> package.

> Internet Explorer also will be added to Lotus' forthcoming SmartSuite, an
> integrated suite of desktop applications, soon after Internet Explorer is
> available.

> The two companies plan to ensure strong support of Microsoft's Component
> Object Model in Lotus applications.

> Does anyone still wonder what happened to SmartSuite 97 for OS/2 or why
> Netscape beyond V2.2 is so slow in coming?

Totally unrelated.  I suppose Jim would also wish to further imply that
IBM is also abandoning the 12 billion dollar AS/400 and the
multi-billion dollar AIX market.

I suppose the tight partnership between IBM and MS was the reason 1-2-3
for win32 took until 1997 to ship.  Or does that equally relevant fact
have no relevance since it's not a bash against OS/2?

Of course Jim fails to mention that in the past few weeks Lotus has just
reveresed their development policy and is now going to rewrite their
entire Win32 specific suite (a new and costly investment in windows)
into a Java application for the sake of portablility.  He also ignores
the head LOTUS Exec's comments on the large amount of revenue OS/2
generats for LOTUS.

I think taking two unrelated items and implying a cause-effect is a
cheap shot.  It is less relevant than a direct commitment of LOTUS to
OS/2 and the corssware ideals supported in OS/2 and across of al of
IBM/LOTUS's platforms IBM.  Lastly, Jim fails to see (or read in balck
and white) how IBM is gaining leverage with Netscape by playing MS and
Netscape off one another to get a better deal for IBM and it's
customers.

Post by Erik Funkenbus » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet Explorer
>> 4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration" between
>> Explorer 4.0 and the upcoming release of Lotus Notes. Under the agreement, the
>> Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 will be added to the Lotus Notes 4.6 client
>> package.

>> Internet Explorer also will be added to Lotus' forthcoming SmartSuite, an
>> integrated suite of desktop applications, soon after Internet Explorer is

>> available.

>> The two companies plan to ensure strong support of Microsoft's Component
>> Object Model in Lotus applications.

>> Does anyone still wonder what happened to SmartSuite 97 for OS/2 or why
>> Netscape beyond V2.2 is so slow in coming?

>Totally unrelated.  I suppose Jim would also wish to further imply that
>IBM is also abandoning the 12 billion dollar AS/400 and the
>multi-billion dollar AIX market.

How is it totally unrelated?  Lotus is giving very mixed signals here.
On one hand they say "Ra Ra Java" and in the next breath their signing
a pact with the company that they claim is trying to kill Java.

Quote:>I suppose the tight partnership between IBM and MS was the reason 1-2-3
>for win32 took until 1997 to ship.  Or does that equally relevant fact
>have no relevance since it's not a bash against OS/2?

Uhh.. IIRC 123 for Win32 shipped in late 1995 in SmartSuite 96 for
Win32.

Quote:>Of course Jim fails to mention that in the past few weeks Lotus has just
>reveresed their development policy and is now going to rewrite their
>entire Win32 specific suite (a new and costly investment in windows)
>into a Java application for the sake of portablility.  He also ignores
>the head LOTUS Exec's comments on the large amount of revenue OS/2
>generats for LOTUS.

Hmm.. Again, Joseph, how can you ignore the evidence in front of your
face?  What do the words "The two companies plan to ensure strong
support of Microsoft's Component Object Model in Lotus applications."
mean to you exactly?

Quote:>I think taking two unrelated items and implying a cause-effect is a
>cheap shot.  It is less relevant than a direct commitment of LOTUS to
>OS/2 and the corssware ideals supported in OS/2 and across of al of
>IBM/LOTUS's platforms IBM.  Lastly, Jim fails to see (or read in balck
>and white) how IBM is gaining leverage with Netscape by playing MS and
>Netscape off one another to get a better deal for IBM and it's
>customers.

Considering that IBM has been talking about Netscape as their browser
of choice this announcement is very interesting.  I'm guessing that
Communicator's terrible stability must have something to do with it,
as well as Netscape's reluctance to debundle the rest of the tools.

If Lotus is going full hog on IE, then how long before IBM does as
well?  And if IBM goes all out on IE then they'll probably want to
bribe MS to create an OS/2 version.

remove the _x at the end of my address to reply.

IBM/Lotus increases Microsoft Support

Post by Chris Smit » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:>
:>>>
:>>> Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet Explorer
:>>> 4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration" between
:>
:>How is it totally unrelated?  Lotus is giving very mixed signals here.
:>On one hand they say "Ra Ra Java" and in the next breath their signing
:>a pact with the company that they claim is trying to kill Java.

Gee Erik.  How does this show that Lotus is abandoning Java?  I guess
you didn't read the article.  They said that Netscape Comm. would be
intergrated in the not to distant future.  You'r not trying to plant
seeds of doubt are you?

:>>I suppose the tight partnership between IBM and MS was the reason 1-2-3
:>>for win32 took until 1997 to ship.  Or does that equally relevant fact
:>>have no relevance since it's not a bash against OS/2?
:>
:>Uhh.. IIRC 123 for Win32 shipped in late 1995 in SmartSuite 96 for
:>Win32.

Erik, Erik, Erik.........   When Smartsuite for Win95 first shipped,
1-2-3 and another app (* graphics as I recall) were not made
for Win32 but were instead the old Win3.1 versions (when Smartsuite for
OS/2 came, these two pieces of software were also Win3.1 versions as
well for your info).  It took sometime to get the Win32 versions out.
The poster (Joseph?) who brought this up was indeed correct.  I'm
pretty sure that 1-2-3 in Win32 form never showed up in 95 and indeed
didn't come out until '97.

:>>Of course Jim fails to mention that in the past few weeks Lotus has just
:>>reveresed their development policy and is now going to rewrite their
:>>entire Win32 specific suite (a new and costly investment in windows)
:>>into a Java application for the sake of portablility.  He also ignores
:>>the head LOTUS Exec's comments on the large amount of revenue OS/2
:>>generats for LOTUS.
:>
:>Hmm.. Again, Joseph, how can you ignore the evidence in front of your
:>face?  What do the words "The two companies plan to ensure strong
:>support of Microsoft's Component Object Model in Lotus applications."
:>mean to you exactly?

Yep, you are trying to plant seeds of doubt.

:>>I think taking two unrelated items and implying a cause-effect is a
:>>cheap shot.  It is less relevant than a direct commitment of LOTUS to
:>>OS/2 and the corssware ideals supported in OS/2 and across of al of
:>>IBM/LOTUS's platforms IBM.  Lastly, Jim fails to see (or read in balck
:>>and white) how IBM is gaining leverage with Netscape by playing MS and
:>>Netscape off one another to get a better deal for IBM and it's
:>>customers.
:>
:>Considering that IBM has been talking about Netscape as their browser
:>of choice this announcement is very interesting.  I'm guessing that

Guessing?? YOU!? NO!!!!!!  You NEVER do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M GUESSING the man in the moon would like to hurl moon rocks at your
head!

:>Communicator's terrible stability must have something to do with it,
:>as well as Netscape's reluctance to debundle the rest of the tools.

Erik, Erik, Erik..........  Anouncements about the current version of
IE regarding stability and security issues have been pouring out of the
press like it's the only thing to write about for some time.  Perhaps
you should write to IBM/Lotus and inform them of their mistake?

:>
:>If Lotus is going full hog on IE, then how long before IBM does as
:>well?  And if IBM goes all out on IE then they'll probably want to
:>bribe MS to create an OS/2 version.

Hahahahahahaaahahahahaahahaahaaa........ROTFL.......  What a hoot you
are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:>remove the _x at the end of my address to reply

Reply?  Why would I want to reply to you (in email)?

Chris Smith

====================================
"The biggest trick Microsoft pulled
off was convincing the world that
Windows was the only operating
system."
    -Greg Dolley
====================================

Post by flmi.. » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

>head!

>:>Communicator's terrible stability must have something to do with it,
>:>as well as Netscape's reluctance to debundle the rest of the tools.

>Erik, Erik, Erik..........  Anouncements about the current version of
>IE regarding stability and security issues have been pouring out of the
>press like it's the only thing to write about for some time.  Perhaps
>you should write to IBM/Lotus and inform them of their mistake?

>:>
>:>If Lotus is going full hog on IE, then how long before IBM does as
>:>well?  And if IBM goes all out on IE then they'll probably want to
>:>bribe MS to create an OS/2 version.

>Hahahahahahaaahahahahaahahaahaaa........ROTFL.......  What a hoot you
>are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:>remove the _x at the end of my address to reply

>Reply?  Why would I want to reply to you (in email)?

According to InformationWeek Daily:

Microsoft and Lotus Development Corp. yesterday detailed
plans for making their Internet software products work
together, including a plan to integrate part of Microsoft's
Internet Explorer 4.0 browser with Lotus' Notes client. Lotus
will embed the browser engine from Internet Explorer 4.0 in
the Notes 5.0 client, which is due out in January.

Looks like a good deal for both companies -- but it probably is
more of a stab at Netscape's bundling of its browser with
Communicator. The ball is in Netscape's court now.

http://www.veryComputer.com/~mighetto
Decision Maker

IBM/Lotus increases Microsoft Support

Post by Suhail M. Ahme » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

--------------1E0DF331F2F0A2EF3BFFABAA

[SNIP]

Quote:> Looks like a good deal for both companies -- but it probably is
> more of a stab at Netscape's bundling of its browser with
> Communicator. The ball is in Netscape's court now.

Look at http://www.pcweek.com/news/0728/01enets.html on how Netscape is
responding.

Cheers
Suhail
--------------1E0DF331F2F0A2EF3BFFABAA

begin:          vcard
fn:             Suhail M.  Ahmed
n:              Ahmed;Suhail M.
adr:            ;;;;;;

title:          Analyst Programmer
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
end:            vcard

--------------1E0DF331F2F0A2EF3BFFABAA--

IBM/Lotus increases Microsoft Support

Post by Erik Funkenbus » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 02 Aug 1997 00:37:49 +0100, "Suhail M. Ahmed"

>[SNIP]

>> Looks like a good deal for both companies -- but it probably is
>> more of a stab at Netscape's bundling of its browser with
>> Communicator. The ball is in Netscape's court now.

>Look at http://www.pcweek.com/news/0728/01enets.html on how Netscape is
>responding.

And the last paragraph says quite clearly that even though NS is
debundlling Navigator, they will still use IE until Netscape creates a
stand-alone beans product that allows them to integrate the browser
into their client better.

remove the _x at the end of my address to reply.

IBM/Lotus increases Microsoft Support

Post by crob.. » Thu, 07 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet Explorer
>4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration" between
>Explorer 4.0 and the upcoming release of Lotus Notes. Under the agreement, the
>Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 will be added to the Lotus Notes 4.6 client
>package.

>Internet Explorer also will be added to Lotus' forthcoming SmartSuite, an
>integrated suite of desktop applications, soon after Internet Explorer is
>available.

>The two companies plan to ensure strong support of Microsoft's Component
>Object Model in Lotus applications.

>Does anyone still wonder what happened to SmartSuite 97 for OS/2 or why
>Netscape beyond V2.2 is so slow in coming?

Approach for OS/2 is on beta, and Lotus 1-2-3 for OS/2 may be on alpha,
but I am not holding my breath for the latter.  Lotus might instead
concentrate on doing Kona, it's Java based intranet suite which can run
on OS/2.

Lotus didn't like all that Collabra and messaging thing in
Communicator---they compete against Notes.  Thus Lotus cannot bundle
Communicator with Notes.  Between Lotus vs. Netscape, OS/2 got suckered
and caught in between, and this will have a delaying effect on the next
version of OS/2 versions of Notes and Communicator.  It looks like
Netscape will give in however, and unbundle Navigator from Communicator.

Beyond the messy politics, things are rosier with Netscape with OS/2 in
the long run.  The next Communicator after this one may be solely Java
based.  Navio may end up as the default browser UI for Warp for NCs.
Constellation for OS/2 might do likewise for OS/2---replace or layer
over WPS in place of a Netscape designed net UI, but some OS/2 users may
not like it (in effect convert an existing OS/2 installation into an NC
installation.)  Lotus might counter with its own Java desktop and Kona
suites, so you might have Warp NCs with either a choice of Navio,
Constellation, Lotus Desktop or Kona user interfaces.

With Windows 98 squeezing out Netscape from Windows, I guess they have
no other choice but pursue other platforms like OS/2 more vigorously.

Rgds,

Chris

"Devant le comportement irrationnel de sa machine, j'ai compris que se
poser en dfenseur de Windows releve de la plus profonde bassesse. J'ai
honte"  ---  Eric Bernatchez,  "La Presse" newspaper, "*presse"
column, March 22, 1997, Montreal, Canada.

"Confronted with his machines irrational behaviour, it dawned upon me
that taking the position of Windows advocate is of the lowest possible
ethics. I am ashamed".

Post by Steven C. Den Best » Thu, 07 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>>Lotus and Microsoft Corp. have agreed to include Microsoft's Internet
Explorer
>>4.0 with Lotus products and to deliver "extremely tight integration"
between
>>Explorer 4.0 and the upcoming release of Lotus Notes. Under the agreement,
the
>>Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 will be added to the Lotus Notes 4.6
client
>>package.

>>Internet Explorer also will be added to Lotus' forthcoming SmartSuite, an
>>integrated suite of desktop applications, soon after Internet Explorer is
>>available.

>>The two companies plan to ensure strong support of Microsoft's Component
>>Object Model in Lotus applications.

>>Does anyone still wonder what happened to SmartSuite 97 for OS/2 or why
>>Netscape beyond V2.2 is so slow in coming?

>Approach for OS/2 is on beta, and Lotus 1-2-3 for OS/2 may be on alpha,
>but I am not holding my breath for the latter.  Lotus might instead
>concentrate on doing Kona, it's Java based intranet suite which can run
>on OS/2.

>Lotus didn't like all that Collabra and messaging thing in
>Communicator---they compete against Notes.  Thus Lotus cannot bundle
>Communicator with Notes.  Between Lotus vs. Netscape, OS/2 got suckered
>and caught in between, and this will have a delaying effect on the next
>version of OS/2 versions of Notes and Communicator.  It looks like
>Netscape will give in however, and unbundle Navigator from Communicator.

Well, maybe not. See http://www.techweb.com/wire/news/aug/0805netscape.html
Netscape is denying the rumor again.

Quote:>Beyond the messy politics, things are rosier with Netscape with OS/2 in
>the long run.  The next Communicator after this one may be solely Java
>based.  Navio may end up as the default browser UI for Warp for NCs.

Netscape has never said that they would implement the full Communicator
package in Java. They have said that they would implement Navigator (the web
browser) in Java.

Quote:>Constellation for OS/2 might do likewise for OS/2---replace or layer
>over WPS in place of a Netscape designed net UI, but some OS/2 users may
>not like it (in effect convert an existing OS/2 installation into an NC
>installation.)  Lotus might counter with its own Java desktop and Kona
>suites, so you might have Warp NCs with either a choice of Navio,
>Constellation, Lotus Desktop or Kona user interfaces.

1. IBM increases NT support !

And what I proved is that there is more than one possible interpretation.

Balderdash.  I proved that there is more than one possible interpretation.

Irrelevant, given that no claim has been made as to why IBM is doing
what they are doing.  I'm simply noting that there is more than one
possible interpretation of the observation and provided one such
alternative interpretation as proof of the existence of more than one.

What alleged FUD, Jeff?  How does a comment about the existence of
another possible interpretation represent FUD?

2. NT4.0 ASSERT in checked build, FREE build works OK

3. funny sendmail+ida alias resolution

4. IBM (IBM) executive voices sharp criticism at Microsoft (MSFT)

5. Who makes Lucent EXT, Modems..?

6. IBM chasing Microsoft (Was Re: Dear IBM)

7. Wanted: Citizen GSX140 print head

8. IBM is again showing increased OS/2 activity

9. IBM TCP/IP 2.0: How to increase "Time To Live" in the IP-Headers

10. IBM's OS/2 increases marketshare in banking

11. IBM supports the dead OS/2 better than MS supports the live WinXX