TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Karsten Gieselman » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Since yesterday, I keep getting trap 0000 on booting Warp 4, FP10:

  TRAP 0000      ERRCD=0000     ERACC=****     ERLIM=********
  EAX=00000080   EBX=0000164c   ECX=fc800000   EDX=00000000
  ESI=0000164c   EDI=0000cf5e   EBP=00004dda   FLG=00213246
  CS:EIP=0690:00004044   CSACC=009f   CSLIM=00006807
  SS:ESP=0030:00004dd6   SSACC=1097   SSLIM=00003fff
  DS=0688        DSACC=00f3           DSLIM=0000f6ff    CR0=8001001b
  ES=0688        ESACC=00f3           ESLIM=0000f6ff    CR2=f3833000
  FS=0000        FSACC=****           FSLIM=********
  GS=0000        GSACC=****           GSLIM=********

  The system has detected an internal processing error
  at location ##0168:fff492de - 000e:c2de.
  60000, 9084

  06860634
  Internal Revision 9.034, 98/11/17

The trap appears immediately after loading OS2DASD.DMD, regardless
whether
I boot from D: (main system), H: (service paritition) or even boot
disks.
I have been running the system for months in this configuration without
any problems. The last OS software/hardware updates are months back.
I dont have problems accessing all of the hard disk and file systems
after booting NT.

Does anyone have an idea what the reason might be?

Karsten Gieselmann

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Scott E. Garfinkl » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Are you using any of the future domain drivers or the sony31a driver? If so,
try an older one.

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Scott E. Garfinkl » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

ignore my previous append.

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Karsten Gieselman » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Scott,

thanks a lot for your replies:

Quote:> are you using any of the future domain drivers or the sony31a driver? If so,
> try an older one.

No, I am using Adaptec without any problems for years.

Quote:> can you get a standalone dump of this?

How can I obtain more information than the register dump? I even had to read the
values from the screen and reenter them - not even the usual error log file was
created. Any hint on how to get more information in such a situation is highly
appreciated!

Since the problem I reported prevented me from booting OS/2 - and OS/2 operation
is still vital for me - I invested quite some effort in finding out what the
matter is. Luckily, I succeeded in finding the cause and even fixing it. Maybe
the explanation is useful for somebody else searching help via Deja News...

The problem that caused OS2DASD.DMD to crash during boot was a slightly corrupt
HPFS file system on disk #3 - which contained only data, no OS relevant files.
Slightly, because very few of the thousands of data files on this partition were
said to be unreadable. The vast majority was, at least under NT. Even though I'm
not a Windows fan at all, I am really lucky I have NT on my comp because
otherwise I would not have been able to boot and access the HPFS partitions at
all.

After saving all the new files on disk #3 (last regular backup only 3 weeks ago
:), I deleted the corresponding partition. Afterwards, I was able to boot OS/2
again. I recreated the partition, restored the backup and now everything is
fine. One day gone, but system working again.

I don't know what OS2DASD.DMD does at boot time, but maybe it would be an idea
not to consider disks (or partitions) which are not properly readable. Any idea
to whom redirect such a suggestion?

Karsten Gieselmann

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Bill Ziegl » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> said to be unreadable. The vast majority was, at least under NT. Even though I'm
> not a Windows fan at all, I am really lucky I have NT on my comp because
> otherwise I would not have been able to boot and access the HPFS partitions at
> all.

Sure you could have.  I ran into this, just two weeks ago, when my
bride decided to play "electrician", and blasted my E: partion into
unreadability.   CHKDSK was reporting "unable to find root directory!"
on that drive, and I seemed to be stuck, like you were.  However,
there is a nifty little util on Hobbes, that lets you toggle the
"dirty"
status of the drive, and after grabbing a copy, I was in business,
Like you, I had 90% "data" files on the drive, and I had to do
*something*, the loop of letting chkdsk try to fix it all, and then
running out of resources after half an hour of trying, and then
CRASHING again, to restart it all, WAS getting a bit tiresome.
I managed to save all but 50 meg of almost 2.2 gig, even with
the corrupted root.  Like you, I deleted it, fdisk'ed it back,
formatted,
and restored, no problems since.   I finally had to do a panic
"Alt-F1" boot to get the little util to run, myself....

The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.

                     Shergold boy real sick.
                   Is better now, got his wish.
                     Stop sending damn cards!

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Scott E. Garfinkl » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I don't know what OS2DASD.DMD does at boot time, but maybe it would be an idea
>not to consider disks (or partitions) which are not properly readable. Any idea
>to whom redirect such a suggestion?

Unfortunately, this is probably not a workable suggestion, in the sense you
mean. Also, I'm not really convinced that os2dasd was the problem. It was
probably an HPFS problem. Running chkdsk from floppies (assuming you have
updated your bootdisks) would probably have fixed the problem. As far as the
standalone dump, type "help trapdump" to see what I meant.

I'm glad you're up and running again, though.
        -scott garfinkle

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Karsten Gieselman » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Scott,

Quote:>  Also, I'm not really convinced that os2dasd was the problem. It was
> probably an HPFS problem.

At least OS2DASD.DMD was the last entry displayed at boot time (Alt-F2), in all the
scenarios I tried.

Quote:> Running chkdsk from floppies (assuming you have
> updated your bootdisks) would probably have fixed the problem.

If these would have been working! As I wrote in my first mail, I was not even able
to boot from floppy disks (trap after loading OS2DASD.DMD). And unfortunately, NT4
is able to read/write HPFS partitions, but not to CHKDSK them. Hence, I did not and
I still don't see a chance to fix such a situation without deleting the partition!?

Thanks,
Karsten Gieselmann

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Karsten Gieselman » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Bill,

Quote:> Sure you could have.  I ran into this, just two weeks ago, when my
> bride decided to play "electrician", and blasted my E: partion into
> unreadability.   CHKDSK was reporting "unable to find root directory!"
> on that drive, and I seemed to be stuck, like you were.  However,
> there is a nifty little util on Hobbes, that lets you toggle the
> "dirty"
> status of the drive, and after grabbing a copy, I was in business,

I also downloaded this utility, but was unable to use it because I could not get any
OS/2 system up - not even from boot floppies!

Karsten Gieselmann

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Buddy Donnel » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:47:17, Karsten Gieselmann

Quote:> Scott,

> >  Also, I'm not really convinced that os2dasd was the problem. It was
> > probably an HPFS problem.

> At least OS2DASD.DMD was the last entry displayed at boot time (Alt-F2), in all the
> scenarios I tried.

> > Running chkdsk from floppies (assuming you have
> > updated your bootdisks) would probably have fixed the problem.

> If these would have been working! As I wrote in my first mail, I was not even able
> to boot from floppy disks (trap after loading OS2DASD.DMD). And unfortunately, NT4
> is able to read/write HPFS partitions, but not to CHKDSK them. Hence, I did not and
> I still don't see a chance to fix such a situation without deleting the partition!?

I, too, have had problems with the latest OS2DASD.DMD. Backing it out to a
March version got things back where they should be, with all the other
IDEDASD.EXE elements installed.

Good luck,

Buddy

Buddy Donnelly

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Bill Ziegl » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I also downloaded this utility, but was unable to use it because I could not get any
> OS/2 system up - not even from boot floppies!

My rule of thumb is, if you can't get to a "panic prompt"
(Alt-F1, when the OS2 white icon appears, just after
POST), you NEED a re-install.  Bad.  I'm glad you
brought this part up, about the OS2SASD.DMD
file, though--perhaps I've been too hasty in the past.
At the point you were at, it's usually instructive to
physically disconnect a hard drive, and go for just
a bootable OS2 system, THEN go for recovering
any files off the errant hard drive.  Another trick
you might try--you can get a very nice used
(sometimes unused!!) 200-300 meg hard drive,
from EBay, and other sources.  FDISK'ed,
formated, installed to, and otherwise repaired,
this is a tool beyond price, when the "won't
booties" get ahold of you.  An exellent idea
for an addition to same is the GammaTech
disk utils, which _will_ fix HPFS problems
enough, usually to get things running.   They
have DOS based components for some of the
most vital, needed tools, and a DOS boot floppy
is cheaper than the hd idea, especially if you
can get the needed GammaTech HPFS from
DOS utils onto it.     Personally, I would never
try to tamper with OS2/HPFS from inside a
Win environment, but that's just me, even
though I "do" NT at werk, and it's pretty
stable, if coddled.   Messing with another
OS's file system goes outside the "coddle"
part, though....

 Been livin' on the edge so long, where the winds of Limbo roar...

   "See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs;
whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God
only knows what they do with it.  Bake it into pies, probably.
Anything to avoid creating jobs."

   "Most of the presidential candidates' economic packages
involve 'tax breaks,' which is when the government, amid great
fanfare, generously decides not to take quite so much of your
income.  In other words, these candidates are trying to buy
your votes with your own money."

-- Dave Barry

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Will Smi » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > I also downloaded this utility, but was unable to use it because I could not get any
> > OS/2 system up - not even from boot floppies!

> My rule of thumb is, if you can't get to a "panic prompt"
> (Alt-F1, when the OS2 white icon appears, just after

  I haven't been following this thread, but as a long time
OS/2 user, you may consider a strategy that I use to
access the recovery choices at system startup...
Open your Desktop Properties notebook and select
the Archive page.  Check the box "Display recovery
choices at each system startup"  You can set the
timeout for the recovery choice screen and if you
do not want to wait for the timeout, hit the ESC key
to continue with a normal boot.
  This has saved my *many times and I have it
active all the time.  I use a 10 second timeout.  These
few extra seconds are well worth the wait.

   Bill Smith

TRAP 0000 in OS2DASD.DMD

Post by Bill Ziegl » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   I haven't been following this thread, but as a long time
> OS/2 user, you may consider a strategy that I use to
> access the recovery choices at system startup...
> Open your Desktop Properties notebook and select
> the Archive page.  Check the box "Display recovery
> choices at each system startup"  You can set the
> timeout for the recovery choice screen and if you
> do not want to wait for the timeout, hit the ESC key
> to continue with a normal boot.
>   This has saved my *many times and I have it
> active all the time.  I use a 10 second timeout.  These
> few extra seconds are well worth the wait.

I see what you are saying--but you have to GET to
the recovery choices screen, first.  If you try for
the Alt-F1 to get there, no joy, and this repeats,
you MIGHT want to consider a fast re-install, as
you might not have a complete bootsector anymore.
Or a bad/corrupted kernel file, which points to
possible root directory trouble/destruction.  Or,
you might just get to a trap, as this other guy
did, not matter what he did.   Thanks for the
reply!

I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't
prove it.

                    the Great Catherine
                    equestrian paramour
                    mounted met her death

1. Trap 000c in OS2DASD.DMD (diskette)

Hi!

I've ran into a weird problem.
I'm trying to install OS/2 WSeB on a brand new system here, the hard
drive is 100% empty. I boot from diskettes, run LVM, create the
partitions I want, and reboot as usual. On second boot, it traps 000c in
OS2DASD.DMD (disk 1). I try to turn the power off and on, same happens.
I boot from dos diskettes and remove all the partitions again plus run a
fdisk /mbr, then boot from os2 disks again, still traps.

I really don't understand what's going on...
Anyone ever encountered this?

-Eirik

2. Switch Comparisons

3. Trap D at OS2DASD.DMD

4. Auralia vs Fanfare

5. "debug -f 0000:0000 ffff 66" hangs win-95 not os/2!

6. Collection of SAT and QBF instances?

7. ZIP drive problem with OS2DASD.DMD

8. Problems with dir on an VMS/VAX !

9. OS2DASD.DMD not found

10. fp3 and os2dasd.dmd

11. Cannot find OS2DASD.DMD at Boot

12. boot experts and OS2DASD.DMD experts ?

13. Is OS2DASD.DMD the missing link?