NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by Bob Vo » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

After installing 4.5d (over 4.5YO), the Unloaded number in the
Current Subscriptions window is always much higher (about double)
than the number of articles that show up in the group window.
Yes, I've accounted for Kills.

Bob Voll  |  WordPROse, Inc.  |  203 264 3910

NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by Richard Pers » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Voll)13 Jun 1996 02:43:45 GMT writes:
:>
:>After installing 4.5d (over 4.5YO), the Unloaded number in the
:>Current Subscriptions window is always much higher (about double)
:>than the number of articles that show up in the group window.
:>Yes, I've accounted for Kills.
:>
:>Bob Voll  |  WordPROse, Inc.  |  203 264 3910
:>

Hmm, curious.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Currently the totals for this group show 66 Unloaded articles and 64
Loaded in the 'News: Current Subscriptions' window.

In the group window (the window with the article titles) I have 64
Loaded articles (including yours, which I am answering) and 2 Unloaded
article for a total of 66 articles.

I don't see what you are describing.  Can you give some examples of
what you mean?

Richard Person

Post by Bob Vo » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

writes:

 >Voll)13 Jun 1996 02:43:45 GMT writes:
 >:>
 >:>After installing 4.5d (over 4.5YO), the Unloaded number in the
 >:>Current Subscriptions window is always much higher (about double)
 >:>than the number of articles that show up in the group window.
 >:>Yes, I've accounted for Kills.

 >Hmm, curious.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
 >
 >Currently the totals for this group show 66 Unloaded articles and 64
 >Loaded in the 'News: Current Subscriptions' window.
 >
 >In the group window (the window with the article titles) I have 64
 >Loaded articles (including yours, which I am answering) and 2 Unloaded
 >article for a total of 66 articles.
 >
 >I don't see what you are describing.  Can you give some examples of
 >what you mean?

Bottom line is:  it's fixed.

For anyone else that may run in to this, an example:  Current
Subs for this group shows 17 Unread, 24 Loaded, 248 Total.  When
opening the Group, I'd see something like 5 Unread and a couple
of Loaded headers--the rest had gone missing.  Sometimes, there'd
be _no_ articles shown.  Tried unsubscribe/resubscribe, turn
off/on the various view options (show killed, show read), none of
which increased the numbers of articles shown.  My gut feel was
that there were articles missing, rather than inflated CurSubs
numbers, based on past volume of some groups.

I poked around in the .msg and .art files and established that
the CurSubs numbers were correct; the fault was in the display of
article headers, which was summarily throwing away articles (but
it _did_ save me a lot of time going through groups when only
10-50% of the articles were available!).

As I mentioned, I'd accounted for Kills, but I finally wiped out
the contents of my killfile anyway--and a couple of groups later,
the number of headers displayed began to match the CurSubs
numbers.  Exactly.  Just like they used to.  Go figure.

Sooooooo, my advice, at least for anyone going from YO to rev d,
would be to wipe the killfile.  *Something* in kill processing is
different.  -  bob v

Bob Voll  |  WordPROse, Inc.  |  203 264 3910

NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by Richard Pers » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Voll) writes:

:>

:>writes:
:> >

:> >Voll)13 Jun 1996 02:43:45 GMT writes:
:> >:>
[...]
<Snipped>
:>
:>Bob Voll  |  WordPROse, Inc.  |  203 264 3910
:>

Thank you for the explanation.  This may be entirely unrelated but I
started noticing something while using v4.5c (and has continued with
v4.5d) which is beginning to really 'bug' me. :)

The Loaded Articles total for some groups (and it changes from group
to group and from time to time) is showing phantom numbers.

E.g., in for comp.os.os2.networking.www I'm showing 28 Unread, 2
Loaded, 168 Total.  But I know for a fact there aren't any loaded
because I finished going thru them all before starting on this group.

The only way to get rid of the numbers is to unsubscribe/resubscribe
but that means having to go thru articles I already seen (and maybe
replied to).  Not a happy thought.

I didn't start using the Kill file until v4.5c so I'll give your
solution a try and see what happens.

Richard Person

NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by stingr » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>E.g., in for comp.os.os2.networking.www I'm showing 28 Unread, 2
:>Loaded, 168 Total.  But I know for a fact there aren't any loaded
:>because I finished going thru them all before starting on this group.
:>
:>The only way to get rid of the numbers is to unsubscribe/resubscribe
:>but that means having to go thru articles I already seen (and maybe
:>replied to).  Not a happy thought.

This happens when articles are cross posted and you read the article in
another news group first. When my unread count is 0 but my loaded count is >
o I just go to messages / offline / unload / all and these loaded articles
are unloaded.

:>I didn't start using the Kill file until v4.5c so I'll give your
:>solution a try and see what happens.
:>
:>Richard Person

:>

Uwe

NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by Richard Pers » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(stingray) writes:

:>
:>:>
[...]

I'm sorry.  I guess I wasn't clear enough.  I am seeing counter
displays of 0/2/xxx or 0/1/xxx or 0/4/xxx for various random groups
both in the comp.os.os2.* tree and in the alt.* groups that I
subscribe to.  The 'xxx' refers to the total articles for a particular
group and I'm not discussing a specific group here.

I can open the group window (which I shouldn't be able to do when the
unread counter equals zero) but it is totally blank.  It shows nothing
loaded or unread.

The pattern, as best as I can determine, goes something like this:

0/0/xxx    (No unread, no loaded.  NeoNews update function is
            activated)

57/0/xxx   (57 Unread message headers downloaed, no Loaded messages)

57/57/xxx  (57 Unread and Loaded messages for off-line viewing)

103/32/xxx (Only 25 Loaded messages viewed, marked and eliminated
            from the group's header list.  Went On-line and
            downloaded 71 additional message headers via the
            automatic updating when connected)

71/1/xxx   (ALL 32 Loaded messages read.  Phantom counter number
            appears.)

71/72/xxx  (Downloaded 71 Unread messages for off-line reading.)

0/1/xxx    (Read all 71 Loaded messages, phantom number remains.  No
            Loaded messages visible.  No unread messages at all.)

When it does happen, this is not necessairily the way it happens every
time.  It varies depending on how often I connect to the server,
update the groups, actually get thru all of the messages in a group
before updating, and other factors I'm probably not aware of at the
moment.

As for the cross-posted messages that are marked as read in the other
groups after reading it in the first group I encounter it:  When
on-line, the marking takes place and the header is removed from the
other groups.

When all of the groups are downloaded (I normally download all of the
comp.os.os2.* groups that I read via the Current Subscription window
(Group Menu; Offline; Current or ALT-G-L-C.  It seems to be faster
that way.) the 'marked as read' cross-posted messages are still loaded
even though they are marked.

As a general rule, after opening a group (that's been completly
downloaded) I unload all of the messages and then re-load them.  This
leaves the 'marked as read' cross-posted messages as marked with the
checkmark while all the others show the loaded icon.

Closing the group window does even up the Unread/Loaded counters
*provided* there are no phantom numbers.

Richard Person

NeoLogic 4.5d - counters screwed up

Post by Joe » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:GMT writes:

:>

----- snip ----

:>
:>71/1/xxx   (ALL 32 Loaded messages read.  Phantom counter number
:>       appears.)
:>
:>71/72/xxx  (Downloaded 71 Unread messages for off-line reading.)
:>
:>0/1/xxx       (Read all 71 Loaded messages, phantom number remains.  No
:>       Loaded messages visible.  No unread messages at all.)
:>
:>When it does happen, this is not necessairily the way it happens every
:>time.  It varies depending on how often I connect to the server,

more ---- snip ----

:>
:>Closing the group window does even up the Unread/Loaded counters
:>*provided* there are no phantom numbers.
:>
:>Richard Person

:>

Had the same thing, now that I understand what you're
refering to.  ;-)

Found if when done with the group, in the 'message list
window' I click
the 'mark all articles in the current group button (double
check mark)'
and the counters are clear. If I see a loaded article and
open the
'message list window' and it's empty I click the 'double
check' button
and I get  0/0/xxxx.

True, shouldn't have to do this. Seems to only happen for me
if something
has been loaded for offline viewing, read, unloaded and
marked as read.

Joe
-----
Team OS/2
------------

1. Neologic News 4.5d and VoiceType not stable?

Neologic News 4.5d seems to be the one 'fly in the ointment' with regard to
Warp 4's VoiceType, at least on this system.

I'll be using VoiceType to quickly mark groups of articles, dictate replies
etc, when without warning VoiceType dies on me. When this happens I'll lose
the microphone icon from the top right of the window and the blue border
voicetype highlight will typically appear around the wrong window, IE not the
window that has focus.

VoiceType behaves itself with every other app that I've tried it with, but for
some reason doesn't seem to like Neologic News.
Anyone else seeing this? Any fixes?

--

(-----------------------------------------------------------)

2. - error connecting to COM server

3. Neologic 4.5d: Posts missing body of message

4. porting site to Front Page

5. Problem with auto-refresh in Neologic News 4.5d

6. Spreadsheet for Palm V

7. Neologic 4.5d????

8. Corba, specifically Mico on HP-UX

9. UPDATE:NeoLogic Network Suite 4.5d

10. UPDATE Neologic Network Suite 4.5d

11. Neologic News 4.5d and VoiceType not stable

12. Neologic News 4.5d--word wrap??

13. NeoLogic News 4.5d - How to find 1st loaded article