Text window resize?

Post by Chris Wate » Thu, 06 May 1993 09:55:30

>>> Under DOS, it is possible to get a 33 line window by fiddling with the VGA
[...]
>>> Unfortunately, the mode command for OS/2 won't provide 33 lines and
>>> the software interrupts are, of course, missing from OS/2.

>>Err? MODE CO80,33 works fine for me. In fact, I normally use CO80,34 ,
>>which uses the 14-line EGA font with a 480-scanline screen. Very nice.
> [...]
>>In fact MODE accepts a lot of parameters for the number of rows - from 12
>>to 60 (Or just over 100 in a window, if you want scroll-bars)
>The original poster's use of the word "window" was ill-advised; he's al-
>most certainly talking about full-screen sessions.  The mode command will
>only allow a select few screen-heights in full-screen sessions,

Yes, but 33 seems to *be* one of those heights with a standard VGA.  At
least, I had no problems with it when I just tried "mode 80,33" in an
OS/2 full screen session.  I think it might be worthwhile for people who
want 33-line mode to give this a try before they assume that it doesn't
work.  OC, if someone has actually tried it, and it didn't work, then I
don't know what to say.

I'm using 2.0 GA+SP and a vanilla VGA.  Here's the various settings for
#lines I can get using MODE 80,x in a full screen session:

12,14,21,23-25,27-30,33-34,39-43,45-50,54-60

There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern there that I can discern,
but there certainly should be screen sizes to satisfy just about anyone.
Now, if you have EGA, you probably have a much more limited range, and I
have no idea what is possible with SVGA, 8514, or XGA.  But that's a
pretty impressive selection for VGA.

Actually, that's more than a "few screen-heights", I would say.  30
different screen sizes available in a full-screen session is almost
enough to call "a lot".  :-)

(Although why someone would prefer, say, 59 to 60, or 49 to 50, I'm not
quite sure.  But if someone did, OS/2 would give them the option!)  :-)

And, OC, in a window, the range is something like: 1-102, with no gaps.
(Yes, 1 is an acceptable value--I just tried it!)

This doesn't seem to be a programming issue per se, so I've redirected
followups to c.o.o.misc.
--
Chris Waters    | I think, there- | "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

Text window resize?

Post by Cave Ne » Thu, 06 May 1993 13:36:52

>>The original poster's use of the word "window" was ill-advised; he's al-
>>most certainly talking about full-screen sessions.  The mode command will
>>only allow a select few screen-heights in full-screen sessions,

Quote:>Yes, but 33 seems to *be* one of those heights with a standard VGA.  At
>least, I had no problems with it when I just tried "mode 80,33" in an
>OS/2 full screen session.  I think it might be worthwhile for people who
>want 33-line mode to give this a try before they assume that it doesn't
>work.  OC, if someone has actually tried it, and it didn't work, then I
>don't know what to say.

No, no, you're quite right--I had not actually tried it again in VGA,
only in EGA (where I think 12, 25 and 43 was about it--I tried it a long
time ago).  Mea culpa.

Quote:>I'm using 2.0 GA+SP and a vanilla VGA.  Here's the various settings for
>#lines I can get using MODE 80,x in a full screen session:

>12,14,21,23-25,27-30,33-34,39-43,45-50,54-60

>There doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern there that I can discern,

I looked at several of them, and there does seem to be some sort of
pattern:  out of the base set of basically 3 fonts (8x8, 8x14/9x14,
8x16/9x16) and effectively two video resolutions (640x400 and 640x480),
I think you get most of the modes by appropriate permutations, including
font-doubling (8x14 -> 8x28) and the addition of one, two or possibly
more blank scan lines to each character box (well, not blank in the case
of the graphics characters, of course).  Certainly the adjacent modes
use very different fonts, at least up through 30.  I can't see any dif-
ference between 59 and 60--and, in fact, I can't figure out how you *get*
59--so maybe some of the modes are simply a matter of not using all the
lines which would otherwise fit?

Quote:>Actually, that's more than a "few screen-heights", I would say.  30
>different screen sizes available in a full-screen session is almost
>enough to call "a lot".  :-)

You win. :-)

Greg Roelofs

Text window resize?

Post by Norman Wal » Thu, 06 May 1993 18:10:01

The first followup to my post was the answer I was looking for.  I really did
want to resize text _windows_ and I _swear_ I tried the MODE command without
success.  However, a second attempt with MODE CO80,33 last night worked
flawlessly.  I musta had a brain cramp.

                                                 Thanks, everyone...
                                                    norm
---
Norman Walsh         | University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003

"The First Amendment is often inconvenient.  But that is besides the point.
Inconvenience does not absolve the government of its obligation to tolerate
speech."                   -- Justice Anthony Kennedy, in 91-155

1. PMMail resizing windows and moving windows

I am having a little trouble getting PMMail windows to stay moved and
resized. I have tried holding the shift key down but it doesn't help. When I
open the windows again, it is back in the original place and original size.
I'm sure it is my ignorance but can someone help me.

IMHO PMMail is so damned much better that Ultimail it is not even worth the
time to argue about.

Steve Ficklin
Applied Management Systems
9600 Great Hills Trail #150W
Austin, TX  78759 (Home of OS2 Warp)

2. ANNOUNCE: xpdf - a PDF viewer for X

3. resizing the client window within frame window..?

4. Printer

5. Slooowww text in OS/2 text window

6. US Robotic vs Hayes accura

7. resizing netscape window

8. Standard frame size in drawing??

9. Full window drag and resize with Fixpack 16

10. *** IBMWorks - How do I permanently resize the windows?

11. Window resizing problem...too tall for screen!

12. Windoze Window Resizing

13. Warp hangs on window resize