NetBIOS over TCP/IP install fails

Post by 72770.2.. » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will fail to start.
The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control function" or
"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  Anytime the
latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is fine.  If you got it to
work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

Thanks
-Nathan Herren

Post by Fuba » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will fail to start.
>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control function" or
>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".
>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  Anytime the
>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is fine.  If you got it to
>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

Hmm, I've had it working here, though Inever got it to work on its own
(ie, no Netbios, only netbios over tcp).  Make sure that they are on
different logical adapters.  You can only bind one netbios protocol to
one adapter.

Craig

Post by Andrew Ho » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will
fail to start.
>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control
function" or
>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Anytime the
>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is

fine.  If you got it to

Quote:>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

My rules for getting this install to work.
NEVER install Networking when you install Warp Connect. Install Warp first
and get it working.
Then install MPTN and get it working.
Then install Requester.
The go back to MPTN, edit the configuration, save it and reboot.
99% of the time this works.

--
DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

Post by Hendrik H. Ful » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will fail to start.
>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control function" or
>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  Anytime the
>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is fine.  If you got it to
>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

Well, I acn only say: Same here. When I install only TCP/IP and Netbios over TCP/IP,
the requester will not start and fail with exactly the same error.

I did not find any errors in my setup. There is only one NetBIOS stack running
(on top of TCP/IP) so no different logical adapter should be necessary. Also,
all the net entrys in IBMLAN.INI and PROTOCOL.INI look ok to me.

Any hints?

Hendrik

---
Hendrik H. Fulda, IBM Certified OS/2 Engineer, TeamOS/2

Travel to any part of the internet without moving, by folding the
*space with simple words. The spell of Merlin will take you
everywhere and back - at Warp speed! http://www.veryComputer.com/
---

Post by Stephen Shimatz » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
>>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
>>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will
>fail to start.
>>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control
>function" or
>>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

>>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
>Anytime the
>>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is
>fine.  If you got it to
>>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

Hmm.. It took some work, but we got it working here...

BTW, we have a small BootP server that kinda 'Kicks' it into gear...

The main thing, after install of connect & mpts and peer, go under the
mpts and select NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your adapter.  Then go under the
EDIT option and set the "NODE" option as H-Node.   Also, Set the
"NetBios Name Server Address" and the NetBios Datagram distributer address"
to the NetBios Server (ours is Win-NT 3.51)

After that, close down and exit MPTS...

Save...
Reboot... ETC...

NOW, this is where it gets tricky... You have to either have :

A) TCP/IP configured by a BOOTP very early in the bootup
    we put our bootp in the setup.cmd file in the /mptn/bin/ directory.
    this ensures that before anything network happens, IP's are configured.

B) (I assume this would work... never tried it, wouldn't know why people
    would even want to...)   Manually plug all the IP info in... Server,
   Machine IP address... DNS servers... etc...etc..etc...

Doing it all and using A it works... Using B...? I don't know... Like I
said, we use the BootP, it makes for an easy set up of a machine, just
a few lines edited and "plop" the machine is on the network.

have fun, let me know if it helps...

  -Steve

-------
S. Shimatzki

Penn State Fayette Campus Computer Center

NetBIOS over TCP/IP install fails

Post by Anders Herbj?rns » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

(Hendrik H. Fulda)27 Oct 1996 16:42:10 GMT writes:

Quote:

>Well, I acn only say: Same here. When I install only TCP/IP and Netbios over TCP/IP,
>the requester will not start and fail with exactly the same error.

>I did not find any errors in my setup. There is only one NetBIOS stack running
>(on top of TCP/IP) so no different logical adapter should be necessary. Also,
>all the net entrys in IBMLAN.INI and PROTOCOL.INI look ok to me.

>Any hints?

I had Netbios over TCP/IP working on Warp 3 with Peer services and
everything. When upgrading to Warp 4 I got all strange kind of
problems.

One thing I experienced was that the run=C:\ibmcom\protocol\nbtcp.exe
in Config.sys did not work. I ran nbtcp manually and everything worked
ok. At the moment I've just commented out the RUN= in config.sys, and
just detach nbtcp.exe from Startup.cmd.

Anders

Post by 72770.2.. » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using the
>>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer Installation.
>>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service will fail to start.
>>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the control function" or
>>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

The exact error was:
NET3060: The service did not respond to a control signal and was stopped with the
DosKillProc function.

Quote:>>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  Anytime the
>>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is fine.  If you got it to
>>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

It had worked fine with the same configuration on Warp Connect v3.

>Well, I acn only say: Same here. When I install only TCP/IP and Netbios over TCP/IP,
>the requester will not start and fail with exactly the same error.

>I did not find any errors in my setup. There is only one NetBIOS stack running
>(on top of TCP/IP) so no different logical adapter should be necessary. Also,
>all the net entrys in IBMLAN.INI and PROTOCOL.INI look ok to me.

>Any hints?

>Hendrik

>---
>Hendrik H. Fulda, IBM Certified OS/2 Engineer, TeamOS/2

>Travel to any part of the internet without moving, by folding the
>*space with simple words. The spell of Merlin will take you
>everywhere and back - at Warp speed! http://www.veryComputer.com/
>---

Yes!  The problem was that I placed a domain name in the domain scope
field of the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" configuration (in MPTS).  This was so
frustrating to track down.  I just KNEW that it was something stupid like
this.  It had been quite a while since I had cursed at IBM in my sleep but
this one really got me.  I have to admit though that I wouldn't have
found a fix were it not for a search on their APAR web site for the
single descriptive term "NET3060".

Incidentally, leaving the field blank didn't hurt anything (I wondered why it
was even there to begin with, I mean, isn't that what the TCP/IP only config
is for?) and the requester initializes in 1/4th the time that it did in Connect.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP install fails

Post by Gil Tennan » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Has anyone gotten this to work?  I've tried it on 2 systems using
>the
>"Selective Install for Networking" or just running MPTS and Peer
>Installation.
>It will not work.  The usual symptom is that the Requester service
>will fail to start.
>The error is something like "The service is not responding to the
>control function" or
>"The Requester did not respond to a control signal".

>I've tried several combinations of NetBIOS and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
> Anytime the
>latter is used; the requester will not start.  NetBIOS by itself is
>fine.  If you got it to
>work I would greatly appreciate some assistance!!!

>Thanks
>-Nathan Herren

        Are you connecting to the Internet as well?  This is DANGEROUS...

        There was a recent article in NT Magazine about Security - "Hacking NT's Web Security" October 1996 issue pg.82-83.

        I know this doesn't answer your question, but it may help you decide if this is REALLY what you want to do, considering the security holes that will be open on this infrastructure.

Gil Tennant
IT Network Analyst
Thomas J. Lipton

1. Netbios over IP or Netbios Kit for TCP/IP??

Help!!  Does anyone know what the differences are between
MPTS's "Netbios over TCP/IP" and TCP/IP 2.0's add-on "Netbios
for TCP/IP" kit?  Do these provide the same protocol stack,
or do they do two different things?

I have been unable to find any documentation on the "Netbios
for TCP/IP" kit; and I'm trying to figure out why this
particular kit is mandated for use when running LAN Server 4.0
and DB/2.  Why can I not use the "Netbios over TCP/IP" option
instead?

Tried not to have to question the difference between the two.
But when I installed the "Netbios for TCP/IP" kit, and was
then instructed to insert another NETx statement and SRVNET
parameter into LAN Server's IBMLAN.INI file;  LAN Server then
refused to start saying there was an invalid parameter in SRVNET
in the IBMLAN.INI.  Now I know SRVNET=NET1, NET2 is a valid
parameter, so I dont understand this error.

Any ideas?  Anyone else with experience in installing LAN Server,
TCP/IP, DB/2 on the same machine; and setting it up for both
NETBIOS and IP client access?

Thanks!

2. >> ADOBE FRAMEMAKER +SGML << ONLY $ 3 9 5 !!!

3. Netbios over IP or Netbios kit for TCP/IP??

4. regqueryex help

5. TCP/IP & NetBIOS over TCP/IP

6. Newbie 89C51 question

7. Netbios and Netbios over TCP/IP: Difference?

8. Reaper question

9. Netbios over tcp/ip - no netbios

10. Warp 4: NetBIOS + NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the same NIC?

11. NETBIOS to NETBIOS over TCP/IP translating gateway ?

12. NETBIOS vs. NETBIOS over TCP/IP

13. Netbios name lookup (Netbios over TCP/IP)