IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Script Question...

IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Script Question...

Post by Greg Thom » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 05:19:40

        I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?
        The password prompting is already written in so that it
would work if the script were run via the SLIP command from an
OS/2 command prompt, but it can't work from within the Dialer.
        I assume that if the script could somehow determine
that it was running within the dialer it could call some function
to pop up a dialog box instead of attempting (and failing) to
read from standard input.
        So, folks, can somebody clue me in on 1.) how the script
might determine that it's running within the dialer and 2.) some
means for it to successfully get a password from the user when
that's the case?
        Thanks!

--
Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
              solely irresponsible for them.

IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Script Question...

Post by j.. » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:46:14

Quote:>    I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
>university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
>have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
>a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?
>    The password prompting is already written in so that it
>would work if the script were run via the SLIP command from an
>OS/2 command prompt, but it can't work from within the Dialer.
>    I assume that if the script could somehow determine
>that it was running within the dialer it could call some function
>to pop up a dialog box instead of attempting (and failing) to
>read from standard input.
>    So, folks, can somebody clue me in on 1.) how the script
>might determine that it's running within the dialer and 2.) some
>means for it to successfully get a password from the user when
>that's the case?
>    Thanks!

>--
>Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
>              solely irresponsible for them.

i've had all sorts of problems logging onto my university's annex server.

are you using the original slippm.exe (other provider dialler)?

i got the new one from a local bbs & i now connect via an RSP file this
simple:
        atz
        OK
        atdtxxxxxxx
        CONNECT
        :                       ( for the annex ':' prompt)
        t mercury               ( my host )
        login:
        joel
        Password:
        ha!
        mercury%                ( waitfor )
        tia

that's it. no annex.cmd no rexx nothing!

i am pretty sure its the dialler but get the ppp gamma files too!

joel

IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Script Question...

Post by robe.. » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:17:35

 <deletions>

Quote:>    So, folks, can somebody clue me in on 1.) how the script
>might determine that it's running within the dialer and 2.) some
>means for it to successfully get a password from the user when
>that's the case?
>    Thanks!

1) Doesn't the annex.cmd sample explain that the script knows where it is running
by the first argument it is passed? The argument "interface"

2) The sample script clearly says that the password input doesnt work
when running from the dialer. I guess it would take some more complexity to do
a pop-up dialog. Obviously would be nice though. How about it folks? Anyone know how?
Robert W. Erickson

Post by tho.. » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 14:08:15

> <deletions>
>>        So, folks, can somebody clue me in on 1.) how the script
>>might determine that it's running within the dialer and 2.) some
>>means for it to successfully get a password from the user when
>>that's the case?
>>        Thanks!

>1) Doesn't the annex.cmd sample explain that the script knows where it is running
>by the first argument it is passed? The argument "interface"

        No.  The script as written requires an interface argument
regardless of what invokes it.  Unfortunately, I'm blissfully
ignorant of any tell-tale characteristics which might allow
distinguishing with certainty an interface argument passed from
the dialer.

Quote:>2) The sample script clearly says that the password input doesnt work
>when running from the dialer.

        Which is _precisely_ why I'm asking for a way around the
problem (which I noted in my post)!
        Hmm... that last sentence sounds a little angry, which
is not intended; just wanted to get the point across.

-----
Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
              solely irresponsible for them.

IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Script Question...

Post by cul.. » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:15:05

Check out the IAK FAQ at
  http://www.primenet.com/~rworne/iadfaq.html

Good Luck

Charles

Post by ada.. » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 18:03:08

Quote:>    I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
>university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
>have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
>a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?

You can have the REXX script propmpt you for your password at
the beginning of the script (before you connect) and save it into a
variable, then send the contents of the variable when prompted by
the host.  The simplest option, if security is not a big issue with
you, is to just hardcode the password into your login script - works
for me!

Post by tho.. » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 01:09:47

>>        I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
>>university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
>>have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
>>a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?

>You can have the REXX script propmpt you for your password at
>the beginning of the script

        Unfortunately this is strictly untrue.  As my original
post stated, this can be done for command windows but _cannot_
be done when the script is run from within the IAK Dialer.

Quote:>The simplest option, if security is not a big issue with
>you, is to just hardcode the password into your login script - works
>for me!

        Ah, but security is precisely the point.  I have no
intention of leaving a password on the machine any longer than
is absolutely necessary.  If need be, I'll look into dumping
the dialer entirely (though that's unlikely to be any picnic
either).

-----

Post by Jan Chojnac » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:15:46

Quote:>    I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
>university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
>have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
>a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?
>    The password prompting is already written in so that it
>would work if the script were run via the SLIP command from an
>OS/2 command prompt, but it can't work from within the Dialer.

I login to my provider using the IAK dialler and a script.  WHen you Add
Provider, it asks for a script name -- what it doesn't tell you is that you
can parameters there.  I've got something like:

SCRIPT:  login.cmd atdtnnn-nnnn myloginid myloginpassword

..and it logs me, enters my login id and password.

Post by srich.. » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 17:53:18

>i've had all sorts of problems logging onto my university's annex server.

>are you using the original slippm.exe (other provider dialler)?

>i got the new one from a local bbs & i now connect via an RSP file this
>simple:
>    atz
>    OK
>    atdtxxxxxxx
>    CONNECT
>    :                       ( for the annex ':' prompt)
>    t mercury               ( my host )
>    login:
>    joel
>    Password:
>    ha!
>    mercury%                ( waitfor )
>    tia

>that's it. no annex.cmd no rexx nothing!

With the "other provider" dialer app.  I cannot get my modem to
drop the connection after I hit the hang-up button.  I have to start
ZOC, send the +++ ATH manualy.  I believe it is script file related, but
I the script specifies correct reset and hangup command.  I have to
use a script file because my provider uses dynamic IP addressing.
The host output has to be parsed to receive my IP address assignment
at login time.  Any suggestions about how I can get the dialler to drop DTR
hand up?

Quote:>i am pretty sure its the dialler but get the ppp gamma files too!

????ppp gamma files?  Can you please fill me in or point me to the files?

Thanks,

scotty

Post by robe.. » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 03:38:46

>Unfortunately, I'm blissfully
>ignorant of any tell-tale characteristics which might allow
>distinguishing with certainty an interface argument passed from
>the dialer.

>Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
>              solely irresponsible for them.

Hello Greg, Sorry for my unhelpfull post earlier.
My experiments show that the "interface" argument is passed a
string "sl0" when the script is run under the dialer and a nul string
when it is started from the command line.
Unfortunately I still cant figure out how to input to a Rexx script
started by another program. The on-line documentation refers all
questions about the stdin defaults to a seperately purchased
document.The way I figure it, this is a similar problem to getting
keystrokes into a .bat script in Dos. (more complicated by the PM GUI).
I'm hoping someone with more REX experience will offer sugestions.
Good Luck, 8-}
Robert Erickson

Post by William Unr » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:15:40

>Hello Greg, Sorry for my unhelpfull post earlier.
>My experiments show that the "interface" argument is passed a
>string "sl0" when the script is run under the dialer and a nul string
>when it is started from the command line.
>Unfortunately I still cant figure out how to input to a Rexx script
>started by another program. The on-line documentation refers all
>questions about the stdin defaults to a seperately purchased
>document.The way I figure it, this is a similar problem to getting
>keystrokes into a .bat script in Dos. (more complicated by the PM GUI).
>I'm hoping someone with more REX experience will offer sugestions.

Actually, you do not want to start the Rexx script from the command line
anyway. You want to run it either from the Dial Other Providers or from
the slip.exe program via the slip.cfg file, and I suspect tht the
arguments it gets in either case are the same.

However if you run it from slip.exe, then stdin and stdout are directed
to the command window in which you opened the slip.exe and everything
works fine. You can enter your password, etc with no trouble at all (
that is how I run all the time, using ckermit as the telnet terminal)

However, there is a macro package called vrexx (visual rexx?) which is
free under the EmployeeWrittenSoftware of IBM ( on hobbes in
os2/ibm/ews), which allows you to open windows and get input from those
windows. It would thus seem to be trivial to write a little rexx script
using vrexx to open a window to ask for your password ( and whatever
else) and ask you to enter them. This would work I would think for both
the script called from the OtherProviders or from slip.exe. (and would
look mush falshier than simply asking from the command line).

--
Bill Unruh

Post by Daniel Cas » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:51:41

>With the "other provider" dialer app.  I cannot get my modem to
>drop the connection after I hit the hang-up button.  I have to start
>ZOC, send the +++ ATH manualy.  I believe it is script file related, but
>I the script specifies correct reset and hangup command.  I have to
>use a script file because my provider uses dynamic IP addressing.
>The host output has to be parsed to receive my IP address assignment
>at login time.  Any suggestions about how I can get the dialler to drop DTR
>hand up?

Try opening an OS/2 command prompt BEFORE you start the dialer, and type:

MODE COMx DTR=ON

Where x is the serial port number that your modem is connected to.

Dan Casey
Team OS/2

Post by Cade M Robins » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 00:56:18

: >>      I've modified IBM's default SLIP script to handle my
: >>university's annex and redial until it gets through, but still
: >>have a question:  how can the poor REXX script prompt me for
: >>a password when it's run from the IAK Dialer?
: >>

: -----
: Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
:               solely irresponsible for them.

With my script I put annex.cmd login pasword
                     ^or what ever
                      cmd you have
login being login name and password being password.
All this goes into the script box in the dial up.
A suggestion is that you don't put password in until before
you dial.  So modify the dialer and put password in each time.
Also I thought that if you didn't put a password after
the login it would ask for it, at least that is what the
script looked like.

--
______
___

"My cat's breath smells like catfood!"  -Ralph

        _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/      _/_/_/_/ Cade Robinson
      _/       _/    _/   _/    _/    _/         E-mail:

_/_/_/   _/    _/   _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/

Post by Barry Log » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 03:52:02

> Unfortunately I still cant figure out how to input to a Rexx script
> started by another program. The on-line documentation refers all
> questions about the stdin defaults to a seperately purchased
> document.The way I figure it, this is a similar problem to getting
> keystrokes into a .bat script in Dos. (more complicated by the PM GUI).
> I'm hoping someone with more REX experience will offer sugestions.

I am not following this thread too well, and I dropped SLIPPM.EXE in
favor of the command line version SLIP.EXE a while back.

As far as interprocess communication between scripts, read the
RXQUEUE Function section of rexx.inf. REXX can create a shared data
stack in memory that different REXX sessions can  use to PUSH
information onto, and PULL information from.  There is an example script
which will show you how to.

Hope this helps.

-------

Post by Greg Thom » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 22:51:42

>Want password prompting with cmd scripts?
>Turn on the "Password Required" checkbox!
>too too easy <grin>

        Funny, I tried this and it won't work.  The dialer prompts
for the password but won't pass it to the *.cmd script.  It appears
to only work for response lists, not *.cmd scripts.
        If anyone would care to prove me wrong, I'd be delighted.

--
Greg Thoman:  The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, and I am
              solely irresponsible for them.

1. Slip Dialler blanks screen when script executes certain REXX commands.

This is a correction to my previous message on the subject.

The offending REXX commands should have been:

'ifconfig sl0'  os2_address sentex_address 'netmask 255.255.255.0'lf
'route add default' sentex_address '1'
CALL SysSleep

os2_address and sentex_address are valid a.b.c.d format internet addresses.

Thank you,

Walter Metcalf [Team OS/2]

2. It becomes clearer why . . .

3. IAK (SLIP) Dialer REXX Sc

4. Display wallpaper?

5. Need SLIP login script for Advantis IBM to replace DIALER.EXE

6. Question on running Agent?

7. Dialer aborting REXX script on BUSY

8. Multithreaded Programming in POSIX, Java: 3 day classes in Sept.

9. Help me w/ REXX Dialer script, PLEASE!

10. Dialer problem, REXX scripts in Merlin

11. Dialler blanks screen when script executes certain REXX commands

12. Example IAK script ...for PPP or SLIP

13. IAK SLIP Script