IBM & Star Division

Post by DAVEY STEVEN PA » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I just read in a local computer magazine "Toronto Computes"
that IBM intends to sit on it's licence to distribute Star
Divisions Star line of products.

The author express his opinion that "IBM is shooting itself in the
foot" and I concur.  OS/2 users what the opportunity to chose which
software they wish to buy (the more the merrier).

IBM should at least sell the licence if nothing else.

IBM & Star Division

Post by lsma.. » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Wake up!  Hello!  The license is NON-EXCLUSIVE.  IBM cannot "sit on" such a license,
except to the extent they don't use it.  It doesn't curtail anyone else's right to negotiate
such a license with Star Division.

Post by DAVEY STEVEN PA » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Wake up!  Hello!  The license is NON-EXCLUSIVE.  IBM cannot "sit on" such a license,
>except to the extent they don't use it.  It doesn't curtail anyone else's right to negotiate
>such a license with Star Division.

        Hey, no need to be rude :).  My understanding of the licence was
that only IBM and Star Division had the rights to distribute in NA...
However I admit this opinion may be misguided.  Regardless IBM can
certainly sit on the licence in that they do not distribute the software.
Can you think of anyone else who would pick up this opportunity to
distibute Star Office?

        I can think of only one company Stardock (MAJOR HINT HERE STARDOCK)
who has said they wish to be the best ISV for OS/2 in NA.  Kind of a nice
ring to those names too Stardock...Star Writer (ANOTHER MAJOR HINT STARDOCK).

        Anyway I hope you are correct and another company could pick up
where IBM has dropped the ball (all together now STARDOCK)