How to code: PM Programming, WP Programming, or UICL Programming?

How to code: PM Programming, WP Programming, or UICL Programming?

Post by Scott Mill » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Which of these are better to code in: PM Programming, WP Programming,
or UICL Programming?  Which of these are easiest and best for
developing apps?  Is any type more preferable or recommended?  I am
planning to do some serious development in Visualage C++.  Does using
the UICL create a lot of overhead? I have been very confused on this
subject and haven't found really found much in the way of
recommendation.  Please forward any suggestion.  Thanks for the
clarification.

Post by John Curri » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Which of these are better to code in: PM Programming, WP Programming,
>or UICL Programming?  Which of these are easiest and best for
>developing apps?  Is any type more preferable or recommended?  I am
>planning to do some serious development in Visualage C++.  Does using
>the UICL create a lot of overhead? I have been very confused on this
>subject and haven't found really found much in the way of
>recommendation.  Please forward any suggestion.  Thanks for the
>clarification.

I've never done WPS programming, so I can't include it's pros/cons.

If you're concerned about portability then OpenClass (formerly UICL)
greatly simplifies your porting effort.  OpenClass uses a very good (IMHO)
object-oriented design methodology.  It's learning curve should be quite a
bit less steep than raw PM, but it's more on OO concepts.

If you want your code to run as fast as possible then go raw PM.
It's tedious.  It's not very portable.  It's lean.  It's fast.  It offers
many opportunities to*up.  It's not inherently object-oriented.

Just my humble opinion,

Software Development Engineer     Check Solutions

#include <std.disclaimer>

1. OS/2 Programs, DOS Programs, Windows Programs

OS/2 2.x Programs:

Borland C++ for OS/2
Cset ++
Gnu C++ (emx-0.8f)
Info zip and unzip
Kermit
Gnuplot
Tetris and Minesweeper
HPC (Hewlett-Packard Calculator)
Various Gnu Utilities
Various Number Crunching Programs

Windows Programs

Gradebook
Mathcad 3.1
Windows DVI Previewer

DOS Programs

Quicken 5.0
MS Word 4.0
TeX (SBTeX)
Norton Utilities
Autosketch 3.0
Publish It 2.0
Borland C++ 3.1
Grammatik 5
WordSearch Bible Program

Michael Courtney

2. The Persuader

3. book about PM-programming using the UICL (CSet)

4. A moment of your time all

5. Boston Job: Test Automation Engineer

6. Comm programs which can control PM programs with a resolution of 1024x780

7. Pass CommandEventHandler for Linkbutton into method

8. Starting a DOS program from a PM program

9. How to start a DOS program from a PM program?

10. Books on programming with UICL

11. Web graphics and sound program program for OS/2?

12. "ps" program that sees detached programs?