AmPro 3.0b = bloatware?

Post by John David Serran » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

Comparing AmiPro 3.0b for OS/2 and my ancient version of AmiPro 1.2
for windows (bought long before Lotus ate Samna), I find that the
former is analogous to that of a bloated pig.  No to mention that
it's much slower than the one I have, even when you have to take
into account the fact that OS/2 has to load the windoze code.

Ack!

John D. Serrano

AmPro 3.0b = bloatware?

Post by Michael Per » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Comparing AmiPro 3.0b for OS/2 and my ancient version of AmiPro 1.2
>for windows (bought long before Lotus ate Samna), I find that the
>former is analogous to that of a bloated pig.  No to mention that
>it's much slower than the one I have, even when you have to take
>into account the fact that OS/2 has to load the windoze code.

>Ack!

>John D. Serrano

Its unfortunate that Lotus does not see the advantage to releasing the new
Smartsuite now. They will lose many folks thru the process; me included.
I'm planning on starwriter now.  We'll no longer have to just *make do*
with this stuff.

Michael Perry

----------------//////////////////////

AmPro 3.0b = bloatware?

Post by Maurice Schekkerm » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Its unfortunate that Lotus does not see the advantage to releasing the new
>Smartsuite now. They will lose many folks thru the process; me included.
>I'm planning on starwriter now.  We'll no longer have to just *make do*
>with this stuff.

It's even worse. A few weeks ago I ordered the Dutch dictionary at my
local OS/2 dealer. All I got was the dictionary for AmiPro for
Windows. According to my dealer the dictionaries, once extracted, are
the same. Lostus however refuses to provide the dictionary with an
OS/2 install program. I've contacted them for support and just got the
message that AmiPro for Windows and AmiPro/2 are two different
products. Needless to say this will be my last buy from that
company. Contrary to them I DO support OS/2!

Maurice  P. Schekkerman | private: (TEAM OS/2) | Philips Research Labs

___OS/2 WARP: Engage!___|    CI$ : 74107, 1313 |__Speaking for myself_

1. "Backlash against Bloatware" in today's WSJ

"Microsoft May face a Backlash Against Bloatware", 18 November

The Wall St Journal showed that they can actually write a critical
piece on Microsoft (a media-content partner of theirs).  In a review
of Office97, the authors discussed the upgrade treadmill MS has its
customers on and expressed doubts that corporate America, still
largely running Office v4.3, wants to go through it all over again.

A few yummy morsels:
"There was nothing from a business point of view that was a com-
pelling reason to upgrade." - N Abdullah, S.C. Johnson & Sons

"You could shoot Microsoft Office off the planet and this country
would run better.  You would see everyone standing around saying,
'I've got so much time now.'" - Scott McNealey, Sun

"Guys like Larry Ellison and Scott McNealey wouldn't know a
customer if he knocked them over the head."  - Steve Ballmer, MS

The WSJ has good things to say about the technology in Office97,
which takes up 120mb of space on your hard drive, but they say that
many of the current gee-whiz features in 16-bit Office go unused.

Office is Microsoft's bread and butter business, the mule that carries
all of their peripheral projects along (now that they aren't making
easy $$ selling DOS upgrades).  MS spent piles of cash developing
it, bringing in anthropologists to study human work patterns, doing
heavy monitoring of beta users, and the like.  A dismal failure for
Office97 will be personally satisfying to me, and deadly serious to
MS.
Network computers, Java, and FTD's PC debacle are also discussed.

(I hope I can post this before that devious Hyde Parker, David Derbes,
toasts his bagel and picks up the morning paper.)

:::::===== Christian Gustafson

========== Marina City - Chicago, Illinois
========== #include <os2.h>

2. Problem with the Initialization Vector (IV)

3. MS software bloatware? Maybe not...

4. New Install with company folder?

5. bloatware ...

6. DEC-XL PCI PC

7. Micro$oft bloatware proved (Re: GCC/G++ vs Other guys)

8. Info. needed - File format.

9. os2 bloatware

10. The funny thing about Bloatware (Windows Chicago)

11. ibm bloatware kills trees

12. Still problem with Ampro LB.

13. AMPRO LITTLE BOARD CM/M COMPUTER.