IBM Should Buy Novel's Apps Division!

Post by Ken Mala » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique
Lotus technolgy that could be merged  in. Quatro Pro could become
a light spreadsheet product while Lotus/Improv could become the
high end spread sheet. It makes perfect sense. IBM has a strong
networking backkbone to tie everything together including Notes.
Man, Lou are you reading this post? Go for it....

Also cut a deal with Borland to get Paradox. Do not play mister
nice guy anymore. Microsft definately is not. If MS could buy
up software companies and chew  them up spitting out what they
do not want then IBM should do the same.

All of us should start a writing campagn to IBM. Perhaps Warp is
not dead after all...

Ken

--
Ken Malark

Post by Bernard B. Y » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
: division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
: have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique

IBM already has a very powerful WP: AmiPro (now WordPro)

*         Bernard B. Yoo           *          Wiess College           *

*           TeamOS/2               *        Houston, TX 77005         *

Post by Christopher Roba » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[...]

:
: --
: Ken Malark

I have heard that's been considered.  I also heard suggestions that IBM
should just buy the whole Novell.

Not that I favor it;  I don't.  With the kind of management that could
get suckered into buying MS Money, Novell doesn't bode well with.

They are literally abandoning every initiative, from Unixware, OpenDOC to
their apps suites.  Fortunately for Unixware, it's got a new and
deserving parent with SCO and HP; for Windows OpenDOC, IBM is taking
over.  But WordPerfect and QPro... orphans?

Rgds,

Chris

 --
Rei Hino/Sailor Mars; Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury; Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter; Haruka Tenoh/Sailor Uranus; Michiru Kaioh/Sailor

Post by John Bro » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>: Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
>: division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
>: have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique
>IBM already has a very powerful WP: AmiPro (now WordPro)

I don't think IBM should buy Wordperfect totally, because IBM does
indeed already have a word processor, but if Wordperfect somehow gets
spun off as a separate company I think it would be good if IBM had a
piece of it, say around 10 percent, or just enough to guarantee that
there would be a native OS/2 version.  The thing is, I think
Wordperfect still has considerable mind share in the general public,
and I think a native OS/2 version, influenced perhaps but *not* totally
owned by IBM, would be a good thing for OS/2.
--
John Brock

Post by Michael Herma » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|> Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
|> division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
|> have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique
|> Lotus technolgy that could be merged  in. Quatro Pro could become
|> a light spreadsheet product while Lotus/Improv could become the
|> high end spread sheet. It makes perfect sense. IBM has a strong
|> networking backkbone to tie everything together including Notes.
|> Man, Lou are you reading this post? Go for it....

I don't think they will, nor that they should, buy the Novell apps.
IBM already has Lotus and thus all the apps they probably want.

By buying the Novell apps, they would just buy products competing
with what they already have, no good idea.

|> Also cut a deal with Borland to get Paradox. Do not play mister
|> nice guy anymore. Microsft definately is not. If MS could buy
|> up software companies and chew  them up spitting out what they
|> do not want then IBM should do the same.

I'd say they should buy Borland, not just Paradox and get them on
a cross platform track. This IMO is much better than buying the Novell
apps (and perhaps even cheaper, although Borland is now recovering)

|> All of us should start a writing campagn to IBM. Perhaps Warp is
|> not dead after all...

Never was close to dead..

 -Mike

IBM Should Buy Novel's Apps Division!

Post by cbock.. » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps

  Can you spell A-N-T-I T-R-U-S-T.

>Ken

>--
>Ken Malark

IBM Should Buy Novel's Apps Division!

Post by Steve Withe » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>They are literally abandoning every initiative, from Unixware, OpenDOC to
>their apps suites.  Fortunately for Unixware, it's got a new and
>deserving parent with SCO and HP; for Windows OpenDOC, IBM is taking
>over.  But WordPerfect and QPro... orphans?

I saw yesterday that Ray Noorda (founder of Novell, and currently running
the Caldera Linux 'Network Desktop' project) is interested in buying
WordPerfect. It was meant to be an important part of his new product
and he needs it. His Network Desktop won't offer the same value without a
full-blown WYSIWYG wp for Linux.

Steve

Steve Withers - Wellington, New Zealand

OS/2 since April '92

IBM Should Buy Novel's Apps Division!

Post by Steve Withe » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps

>  Can you spell A-N-T-I T-R-U-S-T.

If IBM with a combined Novell/Lotus market share of 12% was vulnerable to
antitrust action, then how could Microsoft have ever been allowed to get the
other 80%-85%?

Post by jefda.. » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>: Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
>: division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
>: have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique

>IBM already has a very powerful WP: AmiPro (now WordPro)

AmiPro (WordPro) may be very powerful and easy to learn and use, I don't
know.  Also many other also don't know if it is really very good.  On the other
hand most people know WordPerfect and it is used as a benchmark to measure
other wordprocessors against.  If this weren't the case do you think M$ would
have labelled their product release 6 if they weren't trying to create some confusion
and ride on the coat tails of WP.  If IBM included WP in their suite I believe
they would have access to a lot of areas they didn't have before.

My feelings anyway....  Jeff

// The land of the red soil and fresh lobsters

Post by Joe Ant » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
>division of Novel then they could truly compete with MS. They would
>have  an OS, Wordperfect for a very powerfull WP and some unique
>Lotus technolgy that could be merged  in. Quatro Pro could become
>a light spreadsheet product while Lotus/Improv could become the
>high end spread sheet. It makes perfect sense. IBM has a strong
>networking backkbone to tie everything together including Notes.
>Man, Lou are you reading this post? Go for it....
>Also cut a deal with Borland to get Paradox. Do not play mister
>nice guy anymore. Microsft definately is not. If MS could buy
>up software companies and chew  them up spitting out what they
>do not want then IBM should do the same.
>All of us should start a writing campagn to IBM. Perhaps Warp is
>not dead after all...
>Ken

>--
>Ken Malark

Ah Yess....IBM should buy Novell out, but NOT for the apps. Oh
no.....<g>. But for the lovely _CHANNEL_ Novell has.

With NT grabbing the server market at an ever so rapid pace, it would
make most sense (to me anyway :-) ), for IBM to take NOVELL (before M$
does), because _someone_ will be grabbing it very..very..soon now
<heh>, it has nowhere else to go now that M$ has got it backed into a
corner.

Post by r.. » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps
>  Can you spell A-N-T-I T-R-U-S-T.
>>Ken

Could you explain how that could be relevant given that WP and QP are
not *?  MS OFFICE is the suite and therefor your statement seems
a little odd to say the least.

Regards
Rolf

Post by jefda.. » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>Why not? Think about it for a second. If IBM were to buy the Apps

>  Can you spell A-N-T-I T-R-U-S-T.

Can you spell P-O-P-P-Y-C-O-C-K

Post by tho.. » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Aaron Evans writes:
> John Brock writes:
>> but if Wordperfect somehow gets spun off as a separate company
> It was a seperate company.  It got swallowed by Borland who was swallowed
> by Novell.

Novell bought WordPerfect directly.  Borland was not an intermediary.
Novell did buy some stuff from Borland, but WordPerfect was not among
them.

Post by rj friedm » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Christopher Robato) writes:

:>... I also heard suggestions that IBM
:>should just buy the whole Novell.
:>
:>Not that I favor it;  I don't.  With the kind of management that could
:>get suckered into buying MS Money, Novell doesn't bode well with.
:>
:>They are literally abandoning every initiative, from Unixware, OpenDOC to
:>their apps suites.  Fortunately for Unixware, it's got a new and
:>deserving parent with SCO and HP; for Windows OpenDOC, IBM is taking
:>over.  But WordPerfect and QPro... orphans?
:>
:>Rgds,
:>
:>Chris

There is a rumor that Ray Noorda wants to buy WordPerfect - don't know about
QPro.

<<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>>
[RJ]
rj friedman

<<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>><<*>>

IBM Should Buy Novel's Apps Division!

Post by Christopher Roba » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: >
: ...........

: >They are literally abandoning every initiative, from Unixware, OpenDOC to
: >their apps suites.  Fortunately for Unixware, it's got a new and
: >deserving parent with SCO and HP; for Windows OpenDOC, IBM is taking
: >over.  But WordPerfect and QPro... orphans?

: I saw yesterday that Ray Noorda (founder of Novell, and currently running
: the Caldera Linux 'Network Desktop' project) is interested in buying
: WordPerfect. It was meant to be an important part of his new product
: and he needs it. His Network Desktop won't offer the same value without a
: full-blown WYSIWYG wp for Linux.

: Steve

: Steve Withers - Wellington, New Zealand

: OS/2 since April '92

I really like the idea of someone as dynamic as Ray Noorda taking over
WordPerfect.  It would be sad to see WordPerfect go (I am a WordPerfect
user on two platforms---Windows and Mac.  I use Describe on OS/2.)

Perhaps Borland can get back Quattro Pro.

Rgds,

Chris