Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by John H. Lindsa » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:54:47



Hi People:

I'll cross-post this in a couple of places.

Here's a question that I hope someone here can answer.  I'm trying
to set up a situation where the Thunderbird of each of my OS's uses
the same set of files; that way when I use Thunderbird, I can
archive and retrieve useful incoming stuff in the sub-folders of
LOCAL FOLDERS regardless of the OS I'm using at the moment.  I've
managed to verify that the file structures and format of the
contents of the data files under the ....\Profiles directories of
the various Thunderbirds are the same, but I have not been able to
find out either how Thunderbird for Windows finds its ....\Profiles
directory, or where or how to change the specification of the
location of that directory.  Surely that information is not hard-
coded in !

This information is easily located in OS/2 and eCS (eCS = eComStation
= the current version of OS/2, version 2.0 of which has just been
released about a month ago).  For the OS/2 version of Thunderbird,
the environment variable  MOZILLA_HOME  is set in CONFIG.SYS, and
contains the location of the directory containing the Thunderbird
....\Profiles  directory.  Further, in both the OS/2 and Windows
Thunderbirds, in the same directory as the Profiles directory, there
is a file called  Profiles.ini  which contains a line starting
"Path=".  That line contains the name of the particular directory
under Profiles,  xxxxxxxx.default  (xxxxxxxx is an 8-character
string of lower case letters and digits unique to the installation
of Thunderbird), and it contains all the rest of the Thunderbird
files.

But how does Windows Thunderbird find the Profiles directory ?
Where is the location of it specified ?  There's no MOZILLA_HOME
environment variable or anything that looks like it.  I don't
see anything like it in the Registry or in any files in the
directory containing the Thunderbird executables.  Any ideas ?

TIA,

John.

 
 
 

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by ivan » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:26:54


On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:54:47 UTC, "John H. Lindsay"


> Hi People:

> I'll cross-post this in a couple of places.

> Here's a question that I hope someone here can answer.  I'm trying
> to set up a situation where the Thunderbird of each of my OS's uses
> the same set of files; that way when I use Thunderbird, I can
> archive and retrieve useful incoming stuff in the sub-folders of
> LOCAL FOLDERS regardless of the OS I'm using at the moment.  I've
> managed to verify that the file structures and format of the
> contents of the data files under the ....\Profiles directories of
> the various Thunderbirds are the same, but I have not been able to
> find out either how Thunderbird for Windows finds its ....\Profiles
> directory, or where or how to change the specification of the
> location of that directory.  Surely that information is not hard-
> coded in !

> This information is easily located in OS/2 and eCS (eCS = eComStation
> = the current version of OS/2, version 2.0 of which has just been
> released about a month ago).  For the OS/2 version of Thunderbird,
> the environment variable  MOZILLA_HOME  is set in CONFIG.SYS, and
> contains the location of the directory containing the Thunderbird
> ....\Profiles  directory.  Further, in both the OS/2 and Windows
> Thunderbirds, in the same directory as the Profiles directory, there
> is a file called  Profiles.ini  which contains a line starting
> "Path=".  That line contains the name of the particular directory
> under Profiles,  xxxxxxxx.default  (xxxxxxxx is an 8-character
> string of lower case letters and digits unique to the installation
> of Thunderbird), and it contains all the rest of the Thunderbird
> files.

> But how does Windows Thunderbird find the Profiles directory ?
> Where is the location of it specified ?  There's no MOZILLA_HOME
> environment variable or anything that looks like it.  I don't
> see anything like it in the Registry or in any files in the
> directory containing the Thunderbird executables.  Any ideas ?

> TIA,

> John.

I suspect it's in the same place that firefox puts it's profile.
Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla  Where 'user' is
the name you have given for the particular windows user.

ivan

--

 
 
 

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by John H. Lindsa » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:35:37


 > I suspect it's in the same place that firefox puts it's profile.
 > Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla  Where 'user' is
 > the name you have given for the particular windows user.

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't asking where the files
were -- I had found that as I said.  I need to know where
that is _specified_ for Windows Thunderbird, e.g., what
file or place (already known to Thunderbird) contains the
name of the directory containing the files.

John.

 
 
 

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by Steve Wend » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:37:26



>  > I suspect it's in the same place that firefox puts it's profile.
>  > Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla Where 'user' is
>  > the name you have given for the particular windows user.

> Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't asking where the files
> were -- I had found that as I said. I need to know where
> that is _specified_ for Windows Thunderbird, e.g., what
> file or place (already known to Thunderbird) contains the
> name of the directory containing the files.

As in, how do you change it?  I don't think you can.  However, you can
change the profiles.ini to point to another path for the actual profile,
as you have already discovered.
 
 
 

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by Ken Whito » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:25:15


*-* On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, at 09:54:47 -0400,

*-* John H. Lindsay wrote
*-* About Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Quote:> Here's a question that I hope someone here can answer.  I'm trying
> to set up a situation where the Thunderbird of each of my OS's uses
> the same set of files; that way when I use Thunderbird, I can
> archive and retrieve useful incoming stuff in the sub-folders of
> LOCAL FOLDERS regardless of the OS I'm using at the moment.  I've
> managed to verify that the file structures and format of the
> contents of the data files under the ....\Profiles directories of
> the various Thunderbirds are the same, but I have not been able to
> find out either how Thunderbird for Windows finds its ....\Profiles
> directory, or where or how to change the specification of the
> location of that directory.  Surely that information is not hard-
> coded in !

      Yes it is, and it varies with the version of Windows.

Quote:> This information is easily located in OS/2 and eCS (eCS = eComStation
> = the current version of OS/2, version 2.0 of which has just been
> released about a month ago).  For the OS/2 version of Thunderbird,
> the environment variable  MOZILLA_HOME  is set in CONFIG.SYS, and
> contains the location of the directory containing the Thunderbird
> ....\Profiles  directory.  Further, in both the OS/2 and Windows
> Thunderbirds, in the same directory as the Profiles directory, there
> is a file called  Profiles.ini  which contains a line starting
> "Path=".  That line contains the name of the particular directory
> under Profiles,  xxxxxxxx.default  (xxxxxxxx is an 8-character
> string of lower case letters and digits unique to the installation
> of Thunderbird), and it contains all the rest of the Thunderbird
> files.
> But how does Windows Thunderbird find the Profiles directory ?
> Where is the location of it specified ?

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Finding_the_profile_folder_on_Windows>

Quote:>                                          There's no MOZILLA_HOME
> environment variable or anything that looks like it.  I don't
> see anything like it in the Registry or in any files in the
> directory containing the Thunderbird executables.  Any ideas ?

      You can specify a profile in an alternate location by using a
switch on the command line when starting Thunderbird.  I'm not
familiar with all the details involved, but you'll probably find a lot
more information than you want/need at
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager>.

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152

 
 
 

Directories of Windows Thunderbird Files ???

Post by Andreas Schnellbache » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:08:45



Quote:> Hi People:

> I'll cross-post this in a couple of places.

John, please always use a follow-up in the case of a cross-post. Thank you.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

 
 
 

1. Clean up OS/2 files in windows directory!


(-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-
)

(-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-
)
(-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-
)

(-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-.-=-
)

Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, but whether or not you decide
to install Warp over OS/2 for Windows or do a clean install doesn't
matter in this regard. You should be able to leave whatever fonts, dlls,
or drivers OS/2 may have placed in your Windows system subdirectory,
because as long as they are not hidden or read only files, Warp will
automatically overwrite the old file with the new version.

2. arcade emulator changed my life

3. OS/2 Directory/file window : TOO DAMN BIG???

4. DFS question

5. Clean up OS/2 files in windows directory!

6. Was: SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

7. ftp host folder doesn't show first file in file directory

8. Seeking Motherboards that work with Warp4 & AMD Thunderbird 900Mhz

9. Thunderbird motherboard recommendation

10. How can I get the directory name in a directory view?

11. access directory from one PC via internet to a directory on another PC

12. New Directories in the root directory