OS/2 Netware client as print server.

Post by C. R. Oldh » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Greetings,

I have a user who is running Warp and accesses Novell resources.
She has a laser printer physically attached to her LPT1:, and
has other Novell users in her office that need to print to
that printer.  The local staff created a Dos batch file that
runs "node ps=lanspoolfs2", but this prevents her from printing
until that dos session has exited.

Is there a way to do this with the OS/2 Novell Requester?

Thanks,

   /--------------------------------------------------------------\
  / NOTE new address in header and in .sig below.  Mail to         \
 <  socrates.ed.asu.edu will still be processed correctly, but our  >
  \ official new address is nca.asu.edu.  Thanks.                  /
   \--------------------------------------------------------------/
--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham | North Central Association               |

| Voice: 602/965-8700       | Tempe, AZ 85287-3011                 X_>|
| Fax:   602/965-9423       | #include "disclaimer.h"    <<TeamOS/2>> |
|--- G E T   W A R P E D --- OS/2 Warp v3 --- Ask any TeamOS/2 member |

OS/2 Netware client as print server.

Post by Anders Nilss » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Greetings,
>I have a user who is running Warp and accesses Novell resources.
>She has a laser printer physically attached to her LPT1:, and
>has other Novell users in her office that need to print to
>that printer.  The local staff created a Dos batch file that
>runs "node ps=lanspoolfs2", but this prevents her from printing
>until that dos session has exited.
>Is there a way to do this with the OS/2 Novell Requester?

Definitely, at least if you're running NW4.x. In your Novell folder
there is a program called nprinter. It can be configured to
automatically attach to a software printserver running on your NW
server, i.e. pserver.nlm?, on startup.

Hopes this helps you. If not, mail me and I'll help you on the way.

Anders Nilsson
SCC Elteknik Syd AB
SWEDEN

Comunist (n): One who has given up all hope of becoming a capitalist.

1. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

I've an interesting problem concerning trying to print from our OS/2
machines to our Sun LX machine.

I've configured the OS/2 machines to print to the Solaris machine using
LPD and LPRMON on the OS/2 machine (IBM TCP/IP for OS/2, ver 2.0). The Solaris
machines are using the Solaris 2.3 LP print service (with the latest patches
applied).

When I initially tried printing from the OS/2 machines to the Solaris machine,
a proper banner page printed, however the Postscript code, rather than the
proper output, was printed on the printer. The printer is properly setup as
a Postscript printer and other UNIX and Mac machines have no problem printing
to it as such.

I figured that the problem was the OS/2 machines act as BSD hosts and that
they may not set the TERM and FILTER environment variables properly for the
printer model, so I modified the model for this printer (/etc/lp/model/amber_ps)
so that it would have the TERM and FILTER settings hardcoded into them
(just as an experiment).

Evidently, the printer model was not used to print these files because
the settings in the model were ignored and I found the following in
/var/lp/logs/requests :

        = amber_ps-124, uid 60003, gid 60003, size 11593, Fri Feb 10 13:17:48 EST 1995
        x /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postprint -I
        y /usr/lib/lp/postscript/download -pamber_ps|/usr/lib/lp/postscript/postio 2>>$ERRFILE -L/var/tmp/amber_ps.log
        z amber_ps
        C 1
        D amber_ps
        F /var/spool/lp/tmp/ochre.gatech.edu/124-1
        O nofilebreak flist=' (null):11593 '
        P 20
        T (null)\n#####\n#####\t\t  128.61.42.23
        Y catv_filter
        t simple
        U ochre.gatech.edu!os2user
        s 0x0014
        v 0

I have no idea what catv_filter is, the type should be postscript (not simple) and
I don't know where x and y came from.

I want the machine to simply use postio to dump the Postscript to the printer
from these machines, nothing else.

Any ideas (keeping in mind that the printer model doesn't seem to affect the way
it works).

- James

2. COM EXE Server Calling COM DLL Object Threading Problem

3. Dial-in access to Netware server frpm OS/2 clients

4. Accessing an already open()'d file???

5. Warp Server OS/2 Client and Novell Netware

6. Question about motorcycles, Welp

7. Diskless OS/2 clients booting from NetWare 4.1 (or 3.x) servers?

8. USER-PRINTER relation in ORAAPPS

9. Netware client 2.12 and WinOS2 Printing

10. Netware client kit 2.11, can't print

11. NetWare Client 2.1: Printing in DOS sessions

12. Connect to warp server from a netware client?

13. Changing Netware client to server connection limit